53 Special Steering wheel removal

Just had the front end alignment done and everything is in specifications as given in the shop manual.   However, steering wheel is a little off, maybe 5 degrees as going straight ahead wheel is in slight left turn orientation.   Took off the center ornament and the ring and notice that the horn grounding wire is in the center of the shaft with the spring loaded button soldered to the end of the wire.  Most wheel pullers I have seen want to press on the center of the shaft to remove the wheel.   I suspect that I could fashion a round plug to cover the wire and button and use the puller to press against this while protecting the button and wire.

Any suggestions welcome.

Joe, BCA 33493

Just put the nut back on part way, span the nut and press against that.

Remove the pitman arm and turn lock to lock to verify center.  If the steering wheel is still off center THEN remove and center;  otherwise take it back to the alignment shop and have them adjust the tie rods to center everything!

• Like 3

Old-tank:

I just came in from the garage and remembered that the shop manual says to loosen but leave the nut on and use the special tool to remove the wheel.   I figured I could leave the nut on and put a socket over the button but big enough to sit on the nut and then press against the socket.   I came in and saw your post so I now feel confident on how to remove and reposition the steering wheel.  

The alignment took a lot of time as the upper pins were frozen and the tech had to keep lubing and working the adjustments.   He has it right on so I don't want to disturb the current adjustments so I am simply going to move the steering wheel a little.   

I knew I could count on Willie to come through.   Thanks and have a great day.

Joe

Just the tie rods need to be adjusted while the steering wheel is held centered, after verifying that the steering box is centered.  There is inherent  looseness in the steering box after you pass center and will make the car a chore to drive.

• Like 1

Willie and Ben:

You guys are the oracles of Buick engineering.   I had to think about Willies last message and in my words he said to be sure the center of travel of the Pittman arm is also at the location of the connection to the tie rods when the wheels are positioned straight ahead.   The alignment shop agreed completely and he said he will adjust the tie rod ends to center the steering wheel.   Moving the steering wheel on the shaft is not a good idea.   So today I added to my knowledge; a very good day!

Thanks for your help.   

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Front end guy adjusted tie rod ends so steering wheel is straight ahead when going straight.   However, a fair amount play in the wheel requiring frequent correction with any change in the road surface.   I decided to check the adjustment in the center link where the pitman arm ball connects.   Removed the cotter pin and had a hard time to get the plug to turn but finally with WD-40 got it out and cleaned up the threads.   Turned it back in to stop and then backed out 2 turns according to the shop manual.   Lubed the center link with the grease gun and noticed that new adjustment location is about 1 and 1/2 turns in so there must have been some wear over 66K miles.   Took  it for a test run and most of the play is gone, perhaps 70% or so.   Front end guy says these cars were never great in the handling department but it sure is a pleasure to drive now.   

I had to use a large screw driver with a square shank and a wrench on the shank for moving the plug in the beginning.   There must be a tool or bit that would fit a 3/8 ratchet drive, anybody know the name of the bit?

Best to all.

Joe

I have Craftsman "sockets" in both 3/8 & 1/2" drive that instead of having hex sockets are big ass screw driver blades. I always figured they were center link plug drivers. At least that was the only thing I ever used them for. Look in the tool catalog for "big ass ratchet screw drivers"........................................Bob

• Thanks 1