Appropriate amperage reading at idle?

Jrbrks

I am slowly bringing a 1929 Franklin 135 back to the road after many years of storage by a previous owner.

Currently, my dash amp meter gauge reads +10 amps charging at idle.  It increases as I accelerate.

if I turn on the headlights, the gauge stays positive but is close to zero at idle.

Is this “normal”, or should the amperage read closer to zero?

Thanks

Jim

The 3rd brush current regulation-type of generator on the Dodge behaves similarly with the exception that current drops off at higher speeds (approx 25 mph).  I suspect your car has this type of current regulation.  This link provides an explanation that I found helpful in understanding the system (even though it references motorcycles).  I do leave the headlights on when driving to prevent overcharging (it also helps other drivers notice you and perhaps increase safety).  

http://www.splitdorfreg.com/Splitdorf Information/three_brush_generator_systems.htm

Thank you for the advice.

I did a search and was not finding instructions on how to adjust the generator (the shop manuals for my specific vehicle include limited information), and I have not previously owned a vehicle of this vintage.

I will conduct an additional search.

Thanks again

Jim