Brake lights on again!

Summershandy

When I got my '54 Pontiac, I noticed the brake lights stayed dimly on. No problem, as over the winter the brake system was getting replaced along with a new hydraulic brake light switch. All the rear lights work normal and perfect now. Last week I've been firing up the engine, getting it to temp and checking all gaskets and hoses for leaks. Today I pumped up the brakes and held them to check for any leaks in the lines. I came back to the garage later and found the brake lights on full bore. Surely this switch hasn't already failed? I'm assuming there's a pressure build up holding the switch on? Is there an adjustment for this? I see the threaded rod for the master brake cylinder. Is it at there? I can't believe I'm weeks away from getting the car certified for the road after 8 months and this is back to haunt me. 

There were some posts about the newer brake fluid (silicone I think) ruining hydraulic brake light switches.  Could this be your problem or is the system holding pressure???

The brake pedal feels fine now like it always did. I gave it a couple taps with a hammer thinking maybe it would back off. I disconnected the switch and the lights went out. I've heard of these switches only lasting 6 - 12 months but I'd say I've pumped the brake pedal maybe a dozen times in the switches life. Only a matter of time when others chime in with Echlin SL128 switch. I wanted to stay completely original but.......

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

How about the brake return spring, whose attachment hole is visible in your photo of the as-yet-unrestored pedal and master cylinder assembly?

I was thinking that, too. Maybe the pedal return spring weakened.

9 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I was thinking that, too. Maybe the pedal return spring weakened.

Spring is good. There is no play in the pedal. I gave it a good pull thinking the lights may go out. Which adjustment is it? Do I remove the bracket at the pedal and turn there? Seems that would only change the pedal to floor height. Or is it the nut (which isn't your typical wrench type nut) that's against the boot? My manual doesn't make it clear nor a picture.

Pressure switches usually fail in the off position, less likely to fail in on. 

However, there's a very simple way to test the switch. Disconnect the switch wires and hook a volt/ohm meter to it. Put the meter on the ohm scale and touch the meter probes to the switch contacts and see if there is a reading higher than zero. That indicates the switch is making contact.

If  no reading,  then more likely the master cylinder piston cup is not moving back far enough to be just beyond the VERY tiny hole of the compensating port when the pedal is released and allow the pressure to bleed back into the brake fluid reservoir. The link rod needs to be adjusted shorter so that the piston retracts further in the bore just barely enough to uncover the compensating port opening inside the bore.  Sometimes that port is so small (sometimes as small as .025 inch), or plugged with crude, that many brake system novices aren't aware it's there.

If you can move the pedal and piston further back by pulling on the pedal then it's a too-weak return spring. If there's a pedal stop and you can get the lights to go off by pulling on the link rod, then the stop is adjusted wrong, or if not adjustable, there's slop in the pedal and link rod pivot connections.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Thanks Paul. I figured out how to adjust the push rod. Loosen the lock nut and turn the rod. I took up a little slack but then all it does is adjust the pedal height once the piston is all the way out. Lights stayed on. I had forgotten my multi meter. I removed the wires and got a reading from the switch. So the switch is indeed on? There should be no crud in the systems as it's completely new and the switch hasn't even seen the road yet! Talk about crap. Wonder what made it fail so soon? 

9 hours ago, Summershandy said:

Thanks Paul. I figured out how to adjust the push rod. Loosen the lock nut and turn the rod. I took up a little slack but then all it does is adjust the pedal height once the piston is all the way out. Lights stayed on. I had forgotten my multi meter. I removed the wires and got a reading from the switch. So the switch is indeed on? There should be no crud in the systems as it's completely new and the switch hasn't even seen the road yet! Talk about crap. Wonder what made it fail so soon? 

With the switch wires disconnected, and the ohm meter hooked up to the switch contacts, if the meter needle moves off zero to show a reading, then the switch is shorted internally.  Time for a trip to the auto parts or motorcycle shop to get a new pressure switch. Looking at the one in your picture NAPA has them - Echlin #113. Same as used in Wagner Lockheed systems since 1928. 

And as to the "rumor" of not using silicon brake fluid...... In the new Echlin 113 switch I bought at NAPA last December, was a factory note saying do not use DOT 5 fluid with that switch.  No explanation on the note why that is.   

Paul

12 hours ago, PFitz said:

Put the meter on the ohm scale and touch the meter probes to the switch contacts and see if there is a reading higher than zero. That indicates the switch is making contact.

???

Zero ohms is a perfect connection. If a switch reads zero ohms between the terminals, then the contacts inside are "made up" and current will flow.

When an ohmmeter  has leads in mid air, the resistance between the leads is infinite. Old analog meters actually had the infinity symbol at the end of the scale opposite the zero (0) ohms.

Modern DMMs show 0.0 (zero) when there is no resistance, i.e. best possible connection. Typically with the leads in place, touching them together gives 0.1 , 0.2 ohms. With leads in mid air Fluke's show OL, for open leads, which in infinite ohms.

The return spring on the linkage SHOULD be holding the pedal in the full up (off) position. Fix this first!

Nothing else in the system holds the pedal up and away from the master cylinder. It is a meaty spring. 

To check the push rod adjustment on the compensating port: 

Remove the cap on the master cylinder. look into the reservoir AS YOU PUSH THE PEDAL. 

There should be a small squirt that appears within the fluid, that is in the reservoir, each time you push the pedal. (if you push real hard or slam it, you can even get it to splash out of the reservoir) 

If there is no squirt/splash seen - SHORTEN the push rod slightly, and try again. The squirt should consistently happen within the first inch or so of pedal travel. 

The rod adjusts how much pedal travel is needed to move the piston into the MC bore. There are TWO holes in the MC (you can see both from the top) The big hole is the intake hole it allows fluid to move into the piston chamber.  The smaller hole (which should have been verified as not being plugged during the rebuild) allows fluid to move back into the reservoir and RELEASE the pressure as the pedal returns. In the reverse action NO PRESSURE is created in the brake lines UNTIL the piston moves forward and covers this small hole. Then the pedal action can pressurize the system. 

The rod IS NOT to be used to adjust pedal height!

The rod does NOT compensate for improper adjustment at the shoes/drums. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

21 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

???

Zero ohms is a perfect connection. If a switch reads zero ohms between the terminals, then the contacts inside are "made up" and current will flow.

When an ohmmeter  has leads in mid air, the resistance between the leads is infinite. Old analog meters actually had the infinity symbol at the end of the scale opposite the zero (0) ohms.

Modern DMMs show 0.0 (zero) when there is no resistance, i.e. best possible connection. Typically with the leads in place, touching them together gives 0.1 , 0.2 ohms. With leads in mid air Fluke's show OL, for open leads, which in infinite ohms.

Yes, moves meter reading off zero, even if making contact. There's the world of new, perfect connects,..... and then there's the world of old car connections.

Old brake switches, even the best of those that work, do not have "perfect" contacts - they get cruddy with age. So, they will show some amount of resistance reading when the contact diaphragm closes across the contacts under pressure. If they have no pressure and show a reading (or brake lights on) the switch contacts are shorted to each other.

When doing an ohm reading, zero an analogue meter's needle.  Then touch the probes to the switch contacts and the needle will move off zero to show a reading of the resistance to the flow of the low battery voltage of the meter through those less than perfect contacts. Digital meters will move off 00.0, or OL  (open line), and show a number readout for the resistance through the switch.

For those interested here's pictures of the new NAPA Echlin SL113 switch and the note that comes in the box with it that warns against using silicone brake fluid.  

Paul

DSCN0020.JPG

DSCN0021.JPG

I have been using NAPA Echlin brake pressure switches specifically SL142 for years with silicone fluid with no deleterious effects. Silicone brake fluid will effect old NOS brake light switches.  The little white slip is not in the box nor is there anything on-line about it that I can find.  Possibly the SL113 is internally different. 

11 hours ago, PFitz said:

Digital meters will move off 00.0, or OL  (open line), and show a number readout for the resistance through the switch.

Hopefully my new switch comes in today. I will pull the old one out and test both on my MM. I'll try to get the new one in and confirm the brake lights.

14 hours ago, m-mman said:

The rod IS NOT to be used to adjust pedal height!

For the 1954 Pontiac, the MC push rod is used to adjust the pedal height to the required 4-3/8" from the floor mat. I observed the action of the ports while bleeding the system as you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions!

2 hours ago, Summershandy said:

What's the difference between the SL113 and SL142 switches?

As you can see in my picture and Curti's. The 113 only accepts ring terminal wire ends. The 142 has holes in the terminal posts to take tinned, bare wire ends, or ring terminals.  

The 113 matches the original pressure switches used in the late 1920s to at least mid 1930s Wagner Lockheed master cylinders.  But how late in production the staggered-length terminal post type like yours and the 113 were used, I don't know.  

And if you order new wiring harnesses from Rhode Island Wire , they come with the correct size soldered-on ring terminals like the originals used.

There is also a version of that same 1/8 inch pipe thread pressure switch for use with the later press-on type connectors and Rhode Island Wire has the correct wire terminal connectors for those.

Paul 

Update: removed defective new switch and bench test with DM. Reading around 18 ohms. New Echlin 113 switch gives no reading. Installed new switch and brake lights work as expected. Best picture I could take of the faulty switch. The only markings I can find are a capital N with either a capital I or maybe it's an arrow. The number 3 is above it. Either way I'm happy now.

IMG_7045.JPG

That's around what many of the older working switches show for a reading.  Sometimes, if you really press hard on the brake pedal, you can get the reading to go lower as the pressure on the metal diaphragm gets pushed harder onto the internal contacts and thus making a better connection. 

Somehow with yours, the diaphragm disc is either out of position, or not able to flex back, or something is bridging and shorting  those contacts without pressure. Either way your good to go now.

Glad you found it.

Paul