old-tank

Texas Road Warriors --- Mile High Blitz

Use the forum search feature (BCA General ... "texas road warriors") to find some of our previous (mis)adventures.  It all started 13 years ago: (http://forums.aaca.org/topic/71039-on-the-way-to-batavia/?hl=batavia).

This should serve as fair warning to anybody in our way north of Texas and an invitation to other drivers from Texas to join the fun.  There are no caravans, schedules or other requirements; just a bunch of independent contractors that sometimes end up at the same place.  Also, participants should save up for gas and oil (we're driving Buicks after all) and stock up on sliced Barbeque Brisket and Fajitas...if gas prices go up any more consider baloney sandwiches.

We will leave 6-17 and drive 400-450 miles a day in our 1955 model 63.  

Willie

• Like 2

I'll be swinging through south Texas on I-10. Staying in Van Horn 6/17, then heading north stopping at Carlsbad Caverns. 

If all goes well we should roll in Tuesday afternoon. I know I'm driving what most of y'all consider a "modern car" (1991 Reatta), but it's still a 27 year old car and can be prone to issues. This will be the second cross country trip for this car (bought it in Colorado in 2016 and drove it home), and I think she'll do just fine. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Are you going Hwy 84 to Lubbock? Then which route.? 

Ben

Probably 84...will pick a route at last minute to avoid the hottest weather and any heavy duty weather.

• Like 1

Just yesterday things worked out that I could go to Denver.   Not sure yet what I will drive but will leave Monday morning

It looks like just under 900 miles from where I start so 450 the first day would be half way......Amarillo is a possibility.

• Like 1

Canyon is nicer and almost as close...

If we leave Monday, that is where we are going to stay.

Discussion is, do we go to the mountains before going to Denver ?  

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)

We will leave Grapevine (next to DFW airport) Monday morning. I like to get past Amarillo the first day so I have a reservation in Dumas at the Best Western.  I have enough points for a free night there.  I plan to stay on US 287 into SE Colorado up to US 50 and fhen turn west to I 25 at Pueblo.  I prefer to skip the Raton Pass and my route is less climbing than the higher road.   I 25 brings us into Denver from the south which is most convenient as my sister lives in Highlands Ranch where we will be staying for the week.  It is an easy commute from there to the host hotel. 

I'm still not committed as to which Buick to take.  Based on latest weather forecast if its cool enough I want to drive th 52 Special with the 4-60 air conditioning,  But to keep a happy wife plan B is to  drive the 67  Riviera we had judged at Springfield.  Also 430 cubuc inches in the Riviera may climb mountains easier than 263 cubes in the Special

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, old-tank said:

Probably 84...will pick a route at last minute to avoid the hottest weather and any heavy duty weather.

My plans are to leave Sunday and go to the vaunted salvage yard in Aline, OK.  If that changes, I may try to time it to get behind you at Raton and help you over the hump.:rolleyes:

Safe travels

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you start "scaling the Caprock"  north of Post, that might be your trial run for Raton.   Y'all enjoy!

NTX5467

Michelle and I will be leaving the Friday before and staying in Manitou Springs for a few days before heading up to Denver.  We will be at the show Tuesday afternoon to open the registration desk.  As of this moment, I plan on driving my recently acquired 1998 LeSabre.  I might even try to climb Pikes Peak with it while I'm close by.

Y'all have safe and easy travels, and we will see you there!

• Like 2

I am so envious of all you all!  I'll be thinking of your adventures while flying a few miles higher... Sure which the Queen had some wings!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Decision has been made and we are getting the Electra ready.  Canyon Monday night going up 87  from Eden Texas to Lubbock. I like that route because it is 4 lane divide highway all the way.

From there not sure yet..  Maybe through Oklahoma just for a change....  I know coming home I will be in a hurry so will go over the pass then.   I kinda dislike going the same way all the time.

• Like 3

John, as adventurous as it sounds, I'm hoping for no adventures.  I'm hoping for a safe, reliable, no-surprises, mechanical-breakdown-free trip. I wish that for everyone traveling to and from the show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad to see the extended weather forecast calls for mild temperatures all week. with just occasional showers.  Therefore those travelling without AC should be pleased.  

Look for my 52 Special to make the trip with a brend new set of Coker classic radials..

New Tires 06 11 18.jpg

• Like 3

We will leave hot south central Texas tomorrow morning:  destination Lubbock, TX about 420 miles.  Next day another 440 miles to Pueblo, Co then decide on going to Dillon, CO depending on fires in the area.

I am leaving Sunday early afternoon in the red 1970 stick shift Wildcat. Hope to make Childress or possibly as far as Dalhart Sunday evening, depending on how soon I leave. Have  never found a motel that I like in Amarillo, so not going to stop there.  Going to stop in Colorado Springs Monday night to visit Clara Corbin (David's widow) who has recently relocated there; then an hour to Denver on Tuesday, taking my time. Glad to hear Chuck B. is taking the '52. It won't even breathe hard on the Raton Pass climb, I'll bet!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

70 WIldcat #8  at farm store.JPG

• Like 2

I am leaving Monday morning hope to be on the road by 7 am or a little earlier.   Since I am by myself,  I don't need to take a vote on anything.

On a recent "Day Tripper " program they were in Amarillo and there is a car museum there. ....  Bill's Backyard,  looks like it might be worth stopping, they close a 4 pm so I think I can make it.

Then on to Dumas or Dalhart....depending on the time.   That should make Tuesday a 350 mile day.

I mentioned on another post that I was planning on going to the Denver Forney Museum of Transportation on Wed....they open at 10am.   Bill I got your phone number from the Roster but am waiting on Ben Bruce

to send his.....I got one out of the Roster for him but it is probably a home phone #

Think I am ready......Nancy convinced me to drive our new Enclave,  got the oil changed, had the front windows tinted, tires rotated,  so I am driving a Buick that will seat 7 (according to Buick) and I will be the only passenger.

• Like 1

About 420 miles to Lubbock.  Tomorrow Pueblo by way of Ratan Pass.  No issues with car:  15.3 mpg so far

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 6:56 PM, Pete Phillips said:

Glad to hear Chuck B. is taking the '52. It won't even breathe hard on the Raton Pass climb, I'll bet!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Last minute change, sorry Pete.  The Special quit on a short 10 mile drive this afternoon.  I had it towed home $$$ no time left to diagnose so we will drive the reliable 67 LeSabre.  It will be easier and roomier.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Made it to beautiful Van Horn tonight. Hope to be in Pueblo tomorrow as well. Probably staying at the Microtel. 

Did a last minute fuel injector change this evening after dinner. I kept getting poor milage and high idle which I believe is due to a sticky injector. Luckily I brought an extra set. Also stopped by Little Reata Ranch in Marfa, TX. From the movie Giant and where the Reatta's name originated 

IMG_20180617_175757.jpg

IMG_20180617_182940.jpg

IMG_20180617_182813.jpg

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Made it to Shamrock, Texas tonight, along Rte. 66. Saw some good salvage yards in Wellington, Texas. And a wonderful Magnolia station in Shamrock.

IMG_7543 resized Magnolia in Shamrock.jpg

IMG_7533 resized Owens Salvage Wellington.jpg

IMG_7545resized Shamrock.jpg

• Like 4