Texas Road Warriors --- Mile High Blitz

old-tank

Hard to believe, but my '70 Wildcat 455 got 22 mpg yesterday between Denver and Clayton, New Mexico. There wasn't much head wind and there's a drop of about 2000' elevation between the two places. Car is not vapor locking any more, thank goodness. Hope to make it the rest of the way home later today.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Made it home today.  Left Lubbock Tx at 9 am and 65 degrees.  Got home to Kerrville at 95 degrees.  Put the car in the garage and opened the hood.  A/C blew cold air but the generator light was still on.  I will pull the generator off again and look.  Compressor made some noise but thats normal for it. No bubbles in the sight glass so who knows what is going on with that.  Maybe just a diaphram gave up the ghost.  More investigations are in order. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I need to warn you all about calling towing services in South Texas.  

First one I called sent the truck below with promises they would drop the car off on the way to Mexico.

I was not real sure they had room so called a friend.

IMG_1658.jpg

ROTFLMAO... there's a similar photo out of Georgia I think....

Back home yesterday afternoon, after 280 miles.  2200 miles total. 1 qt oil; 1/2qt tranny fluid; 15.5 mpg.  That little bit of tranny fluid makes the bottom NASTY.  (drive and enjoy or pull the tranny?)  About 150 miles from home the rear muffler hanger slipped and we had to put up with some aggravating rattling; would have had to find a lift to fix if the trip continued.

Great meet!  Got to meet old and new friends and got some things off my chest at the general membership meeting (things that would have been censored here :lol:).

Willie

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I went South on I-25 to Raton then East.    Did anyone notice all the VW diesels north of the race track down by Castle Rock?

Weather was cool across the north part of New Mexico and had some rain.

I recorded 109 in Lubbock and 113 in the Post area.   See the temp at the top of the screen.

Made it to Abilene on Sunday ...about 720 miles which made Monday an easy 180

It was the first road trip for the new 2017 Enclave and I recorded 26.3 on the flats of SE Colorado.

june242018.jpg

• Like 1