Bill3747

Advice on pulling engine on 1937 special

Ready to pull the engine on my 37 special but could use a little advice from those of you who have experience with this.  I have everything removed from the cowl forward and all external items are removed from the engine, so everything is clear.  My main question is where to separate the drive train for removal of the engine.  Seems like I have read a lot of conflicting information on this,  Advice on consulting a shop manual is generally good, but if it's in the 37 manual I sure haven't been able to find it.  My plan is to remove the transmission with the engine.  Is the best place to separate the four bolts that attach the torque tube to the torque ball?  Would that also be the easiest point to connect when reinstalling the engine.  Also would it be necessary to remove the transmission support brace or just disconnect the mount on the transmission?  I'd appreciate any advice.

Bill

Hi Bill;

I left the transmission in the car and separated the engine at the bell housing:

IMG_8408.thumb.jpg.5dadaa9554d906714b286b592747871a.jpg.8d6941c5323770f51d4acec7bca1a7ee.jpg

I did require a little prying forward as the crane was slowly raised.

Hope it helps!

Gary

I break the driveline flange right at the end ot the transmission and pull the engine and trans together.

An el cheapo Harbor Freight "equalizer" helps to control the angle of the two as you pull them.

I like to install the trans on the engine before reinstallation. It is a lot easier to get the transmission aligned and installed in my opinion.

DSC_4274.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Gary and Don for your input.  Just trying to avoid surprises or possible problems since this is my first attempt at pulling an engine.

Bill

• Like 1

Curious about your attachment points Don, what do you recommend?  I've completed the rebuild of my engine and the head is installed and torqued.  I'm not comfortable loosening any head bolts to secure the chain to the engine.  Actually my engine is completely assembled at this point including the manifold.

I used extra long bolts on the rocker arm stanchion bolt holes. Grade 8.  That front chain wasnt in the angle it appears to be in the photo.

That engine was in running condition in that photo and is completely assembled. That  was during reassembly of the car.

That 'equalizing bar" thing sure was a big help in aligning things.

On 6/7/2018 at 9:19 AM, DonMicheletti said:

I break the driveline flange right at the end ot the transmission and pull the engine and trans together.

An el cheapo Harbor Freight "equalizer" helps to control the angle of the two as you pull them.

I like to install the trans on the engine before reinstallation. It is a lot easier to get the transmission aligned and installed in my opinion.

DSC_4274.JPG

Not to hijack this thread, but is that a full flow oil filter I see, Don?  How do you like it? Did that to the 263 I "hopped up".

Ben

Yes, I did add a full flow oil filter. It was not a very hard thing to do and I really wanted that extra crud protection and avoid 1000 mile oil changes.

I really do not have many miles on it yet, so the jury is out on that note.

With the engine in the car, it is hard to see the added filter, but it is very easy to go back to no filter if I wanted to.

After I had the engine in the car, I didnt like the filter hanging down so much, so I angled it back 90°. All the lines are 1/2" hydraulic steel tubing and high pressure fittings - i didnt want any leaks.

The only other things I did to the engine was up the compression ratio and used later insert rods.

• Like 1

I make up an engine lift bar for each type engine I pull as I have found if an engine hangs from a SINGLE chain it is many times easier to stab. Hanging in that manor it can be tilted, rolled, wiggled from side to side or skewed at the front or rear with no fighting against resistance like one attached in two or more places. It is also much better for use in a area with a low ceiling as the adjustable ones add a lot of pulling height needed. Here is a pic of one for a straight eight Buick which attaches to rocker arm bolts; note the 1/2 inch nuts tacked to the underside of the bar to keep it spaced up off the rockers. Ones for the Chevy LS or Ford Modular are a bit exotic but do the job very well.

engine lift bar 004.jpg

On 6/8/2018 at 10:54 PM, mcdarrunt said:

Here is a pic of one for a straight eight Buick which attaches to rocker arm bolts; note the 1/2 inch nuts tacked to the underside of the bar to keep it spaced up off the rockers. 

Just t be clear, you remove two bolts from the rocker arm, leave the rocker arm in place but run a nut on the threaded rod down to the top of the rocker arm, then lift?  Does the rocker arm see any rotational force during the lift?

Zero twist on the rocker arm bolts and nothing touches the rocker arms. The 1/2-13  spacer nuts are welded to the bottom of the lift bar and the longer bolts pass through the nuts, down through the rocker stands, and into the head. Top shot shows upper hole big enough for a 9/16 socket to pass through and by using the bottom of the tube to lift with the lift bolt only has to be an inch longer that the factory rocker stand bolt.  If it still doesn't make sense to you just PM Ben Bruce and have him send you one I made to use (you pay shipping). When done send back to Ben or me.

engine lift bar 002.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mcdarrunt said:

Zero twist on the rocker arm bolts and nothing touches the rocker arms. The 1/2-13  spacer nuts are welded to the bottom of the lift bar and the longer bolts pass through the nuts, down through the rocker stands, and into the head. Top shot shows upper hole big enough for a 9/16 socket to pass through and by using the bottom of the tube to lift with the lift bolt only has to be an inch longer that the factory rocker stand bolt.  If it still doesn't make sense to you just PM Ben Bruce and have him send you one I made to use (you pay shipping). When done send back to Ben or me.

engine lift bar 002.jpg

OUCH. I do still have it. And the chock block with the rope through itl and an orange cap.  

Actually headed your way with all Sunday. had my Lady with me , enjoying the AC.  She said " are we stopping for lunch" so what is a man to do? Yep. Stopped, she overate , became under the weather . So turned around and came home.

Ben