Bob H

Blank Instrument Cluster Display on 1990 Reatta

Greetings all: Took our 34,000 mile 1990 Reatta convertible on a 100 mile shakedown cruise in preparation for a June 13 departure on a 3, 000 mile plus road trip. Three miles from home, after performing flawlessly, the instrument cluster went blank except for the word "ERROR" where the odometer would be, an "SES" warning and an "ELECTRICAL PROBLEM DETECTED" alert. The car kept running fine so we continued home. Upon arriving I shut the ignition switch off and restarted the car, much like rebooting a computer and everything was back to normal. This is the third or fourth occurrence of this blank cluster fault and recovery. Don't want to start on a long trip with the potential for a major failure lurking.

Checked the codes and got EO47h, b334h, b335h, b336h, and b337h. Have any of you had similar experiences and how did you deal with it? Really must have it fixed before we leave or sadly take our granny SUV. I have studied the shop manual and have a plan but electrical problems often take a long time to solve. Hoping someone might provide some insight other than throwing a bunch of parts at it that we don't have. Thanks, Bob H

Reatta Clean L Side (Medium).JPG

Bob,

i like your Reatta, very pretty color combo!!

Regarding your instrument panel or IPC, I agree with Harry - odds are it's letting you know that it's on the way out.  Your Reatta is very low miles but unfortunately the electronics are 28 years old . . .  

If you check at the top of the forum there is a sticky entitled Reatta Resources which lists information on who will rebuild your IPC or who will sell you a rebuilt unit.  You will also find a link to reattaowner.com which is a compilation of DIY fixes and you will learn how to remove the IPC.  You will also learn how to clear your codes (the "h" following each code indicates history) and then how to read any current codes "c".

Good luck with your IPC issue. You have a very beautiful car, I too love the color combo. The 1991 rims look great. Dies it have an after market exhaust? The rear pipes look chrome.

Hi Bob,

I was chasing "error" and "electrical problems" displays for some months on my blue '91 coupe.  The engine would start bucking and spitting at the same time. I cleaned all of the ground connections behind the battery, replaced the IPC under the coils, the problem persisted until I changed the ECM.   Now all is well!

I would say about 85% of the time it is a bad cluster. The other 15 percent it's a bad ECM. 

One thing we do offer is that if you buy the cluster from us and it doesn't solve the problem, you can return it and I'll send out an ECM. 

Thanks all for sharing your experiences. With so little time before we leave my plan is to check-clean-service all the pertinent connections and hope to get lucky. I'll have to wait until we get back search for parts or diagnostic and repair services.

Thanks also for the kind words. The car is just as we bought in August, didn't know what the wheels were until another Reatta owner told us. Yes, chrome tips on the exhaust, it came that way.

Thanks again to all and keep the comments coming, Bob H

There is one on Ebay right now for $ 129 with free shipping. The seller says is works and guarantees it for 30 days.

There are also several places that rebuild them for just over $ 200 and they come with a guarantee.

Jim: Thanks for the info, we may ask for contact info on IPC rebuilders after we get back around July 1. We found two 1990 cars in auto wrecking yards close to our travel route that are potential parts donors. Could be a solution. Bob H and Liz

On 6/5/2018 at 10:18 PM, 63viking said:

Try cleaning the contacts on the back of the unit along with the contacts in the dash.

Bob, Did you try cleaning the contacts in the dash as 63viking suggested? It's a good first step when troubleshooting your problem. These links might help.

Dash Panel Reads 00 & ERROR - '90 & '91 Models

Digital Dash Panel (IPC) Removal - '90 & '91 Models

Ronnie: Thanks for the suggestion. Completed the removal of the IPC and a thorough cleaning of the connections. Might have gained a bit of information. The panel worked fine through many on-off cycles while trouble shooting. Started the engine after installing the cluster and the ERROR message came on immediately. Two of the previous failures came shortly after startup and the last while driving. Gave up for today but back after it tomorrow. Bob H