67 Chrysler Newport no lights

Paul McCarthy

Headlights could be be switch, bulbs, breakers, bad wires, bad grounds. All must be checked and be sure battery is charged and well connected.  Tail lights could be bulbs, wiring, switch, connections, and grounds. Try to find a wiring diagram and start checking things out.  A good multi meter will help and a factory or Motors repair manual as well. All are available.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

This sounds like a switch.

Take it out and clean it with WD-40.

Do that with the dimmer switch as well.

Could be a dimmer switch AND a fuse.

Knowing about the dash lights would be helpful.

Also knowing when this stuff  last worked would be helpful.

Someone cut the wires?

That may be a tough repair.

You will find it easier to work on by taking the out the front seat  then the cover off from underneath the steering column and drop the column.

You might be able to crimp some female spade connectors to the wires and plug them directly if they are not cut to short.

The hard part will be knowing which wire goes where.

If you find doner car with the plug on it make sure you get enough wire, then you can go by the colors.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:22 PM, Paul McCarthy said:

I noticed today I was looking under the dashboard and the headlight switch had no plug hooked to it.  The wires are there though. So I need to find a plug for the back of the switch. 

Try these guys for the plug....https://www.wildcatmopars.com/

In that case, I hope you can find a wrecking yard connector with an inch or more of the color-coded wires still attached.  That is, get the yard to cut off a small part of the harness when they pull the connector.  Might as well get a back-up headlight switch at the same time, if available.

Next best option is to spring for a 1967 shop manual.

Finally, there is the Hard Way:  Examine switch against diagram to see where the 12V input (hot wire) enters.  Using a VOM, find the hot wire.  Then, with power applied to the switch, use a jumper wire from each different switch position to each unattached wire to see which lamps are connected to that wire.

Edited by Grimy
one word substututed (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I have a 65 that I need to get into sometime in the near future.

Its not my good 65, but another that I bought for a couple of small parts.

When I put the dash back together I lost all power, I was wiggling wires under the dash and found that I could  make the problem come and go, so something not making good contact under there.

I guess what I am getting at is if the 65 is the same as your 67 I will try and get you the info you need. (I am inclined to think they would be the same).

Probably be a couple of weeks however.

Ok jack I appreciate it. The switch I have is a up and down switch like a toggle switch with 5 connectors on the back of the switch. Wires are red,black,white,yellow,and like a light green. If I can’t figure it out I’m just going to look for a shop that works on electrical. I’m better with motors and fixing parts whatever. Electrical is not my thing. Thanks jack. 

Ok Paul.

Just kinda busy this time of year and the 65 parts car is a back burner project so it may be awhile.

I will keep my eyes open for a 67. I have some friends that part those out on occasion for derby purposes.

I typed this out yesterday but forgot tp post.

Geez, this getting old make me simple.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

From my days working in the electronics world I would go slow with the connections to the switch as having it disconnected can often be a sign of a problem someone did not want to deal with and took the easy way out to solve.

That breaker protects the headlights if I am not mistaken.

I approached this guy on the local Craigs List about your switch and wiring problem.

He replied that he probably has what you need in his inventory but didn't get back to me. (sounded like he parts these things out).

It may be worth a note to him to check.

I told him I had a client that was in need.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/d/1968-chrysler-300-2dr-ht/6615738470.html

I found a plug in Texas from a junk yard. I hooked up the switch  to the harness but the lights still don’t work. The wires that are hanging that are cut run along the drivers side and go to the back of the car. But I still don’t know where they go up front. And I noticed the wires from the voltage meter on the dash are hooked up to the gauge but the red one is cut and the black one is in the motor compartment not hooked up. They hooked up a red wire from the alternator to the ignition switch. 

• 1 year later...

should start your own post.after having said that I think it should be on the floor on left side of column near side panel area it is a button type switch. here is a 67 dodge I am sure most if not all chrysler products used the same they can be stuck

On 7/10/2019 at 11:30 AM, Kenny 68 said:

I’m new to this forum - and feel a little dum... anyone know how to TURN ON the high beams on a 68 Newport??

4K1__ra_p.jpg

Edited by 54vicky (see edit history)

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

But yes, the dimmer switch is a common problem.

Ohhhh yeaaaah. ESPECIALLY in New Jersey and coastal areas and places who use salt on the icy roads. Those units are known to rust and stiffen up and short out.