PreWarQc

Pre war cars insane prices

8 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Bill, I have followed this thread from the start and I have not seen anything suggesting the OP is self centered or has a convoluted sense of entitlement. 

I thought the same thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, poci1957 said:

Hey PreWarQc, great to see a guy interested in the "nickel" era.  I do not own a 1920s car but historically have always thought this period was a very interesting time.  In the old car world it is also a place for bargains as the cars of, say, 1915-1927 are now rather overlooked as you probably know.  Consider our earlier advice to join a relevant club like the AACA (or the VMCCA or Horseless Carriage Club which I am less familiar with).  Remember what some of us said about club members selling to club members.  Meet some local car people too and let them help you in your search.  There should be few also looking for 1920s cars unless you befriend a speculator looking to buy and "flip" such a car for quick profit (but he should be able to find an easier target).  Go to shows and study the club magazines and bargains will begin to appear.  Be selective, you may end up with more possibilities than you expect.  Hold out for the best car you can afford but do remember that the owner of a 1920s car cannot be totally hands off.  Even with a previously restored car you will need to have space and capability to perform some maintenance that local mechanics will be totally unfamiliar with, there will not likely be a guy in your neighborhood to help fix your vacuum tank.  Good luck, Todd C        

Very interesting reply, thank you.

It's curious that whenever someone runs for the Board of the Buick Club, they stress the need to get young people involved. There are also numerous threads on the topic.

But, as soon as someone suggests the lack of young people in the hobby will send prices down, we get all these first-hand accounts of how there are plenty of youths. 

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I don't quite understand what you are talking about.

You can all do me a big favor, and contact your local NBC,ABC and CBS stations, and ask them to tell the story about what happened in Star Idaho. Also, is there a Wayne Cadman on this forum? 

1 hour ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Sad to say what strikes me about this young man's narrative, is his self centered, convoluted sense of entitlement. My take is that he is asking me (us) to pass on a car that I have, for a value much less then market. His only provocation for this seems to be that I have the car and he wants it, and that I'm old and will dye soon, and he is young and can enjoy it more then I can, and he wants it right now. Not only does he want a car for less then market, but he wants a car that he can use right away, and one that he doesn't have to do any work to.

I'm speaking for myself, I don't sell my cars vary often, but when I do it is because the buyer willing to pay market value, and is a person who has earned my respect. This means that by deed or action they have shown that they are willing to maintain the car as I would, or are willing to take the car to the next level.  If I pass on a car for less then what I think that it is worth, it has to be to a friend. In other words, the new owner has had to have paid his dues. I don't see this young man's willingness to do this on any level. It will be interesting to find out if this gentleman is able to find what he is looking for.

I’m not going to debate why what you just laid out is completely off the tracks. But one thing is for sure, I don’t care about your car, I don’t want it… you want to insult me because I’m hesitant in spending my hard-earned money? How is that something bad? It does not affect you whether I buy a pre-war or not so what is the problem? If you die, I’m not going to rejoice in the fact that I’m going to get a cheap deal, I’d rather have no car and see you in perfect health and enjoy your car… by God, this is the truth. Do you really think I wish people die so that prices come down? That’s just insane... I’ve seen a lot of people die, enough to know that death is not an old man/woman thing… it’s a human thing. I know from experience that I can die much sooner than you can… its very very possible. Do you think I worry about the deal someone will make on my Ford Flex or my Jetta if I pass and resent them for the deal they’ll have because of my passing? Come on, you can be wiser than that.

I’m sure you wrote that without really thinking about it or in a bubble of anxiety towards God knows what. But be at peace, honestly, its ok.

No harm no foul.

• Like 7

I don't know how old your kids are but you need to be laying some groundwork so that they go Ooh and A ah and think dad getting some old weird car is the coolest thing. Take them round the Science and Tech museum in Ottawa, particularly on Open Doors Ottawa weekends that you get to go in the storage areas. Ask them what they would buy! You might be surprised by how enthused they get and it all helps your case when you finally find something that fits all your criteria.

Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, playswithbrass said:

I don't know how old your kids are but you need to be laying some groundwork so that they go Ooh and A ah and think dad getting some old weird car is the coolest thing. Take them round the Science and Tech museum in Ottawa, particularly on Open Doors Ottawa weekends that you get to go in the storage areas. Ask them what they would buy! You might be surprised by how enthused they get and it all helps your case when you finally find something that fits all your criteria.

Good luck!

I did not know there was a car exposition in the Science and Tech museum in Ottawa! Do they have cars from the pre-war era? I went on their web site and only saw cars from the 50’s. I know my kids love cars from the 50’s since I’ve owned one a couple of years ago and they loved it. Especially the fact that they could take a ride without a seatbelt.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Image result for Mary Hitchings MacksImage result for Mary Hitchings MacksImage result for Mary Hitchings Macks

My neighbors, Hitchings Lumber, Mary Hitchings and her husband, I forgot his name, had all these Mack trucks parked in their lumber yard, unused for decades. I thought someone should buy one, put it back on the road. I'd buy one. Never even bothered to ask. But bought wood from them many times. And it was told to me at some point later on, by Mary herself, some people would ask if trucks were for sale and if so how much for one, and she'd tell them a million dollars. Since she passed, and her husband preceded her, they all got sold off at an auction. She got to enjoy looking at them sitting there in the yard until the end of life, I suppose was the point of keeping them.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/29581-h-model/         http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/33856-mary-hitchings/

Hoarding makes some people feel secure I guess. What can be said, if it works for them…

The trucks in the bushes (from the links) are really nice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, playswithbrass said:

Good luck!

My two grandsons have no interest in old cars! They are 10 and 11 and snow board free style competitively. As for what they would buy is a wakeboard boat.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PreWarQc said:

Hoarding makes some people feel secure I guess. What can be said, if it works for them…

The trucks in the bushes (from the links) are really nice.

It's over for me, he threw out Hoarding, tells you were his mind is at. Bob 

2 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

But he hasn't broken Godwin's Law yet so he's still in the debate. 😁

I am surprised that I had to Google that. I guess I will need to remember that for some of the political discussions that occur on facebook.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Well, I'm wrapping it up and taking my Wife out to dinner in the BMW. The new vanity plate looks great!

_cfimg7531869775971590799.PNG.ab0c33fc3b4a1ce01d9d6161776245db.PNG

You're SO bad. 😂

Well yes, that picture and the fact that they'd never let anything go, is the definition of hoarding. Whether you want to or not, Bob.

I'm happy this has been entertaining for you all.

17 minutes ago, padgett said:

Think we have achieved Sturgeon's Law.

We're at least 90% of the way there....

• Haha 1

Think we have achieved Sturgeon's Law.

Never cared for caviar anyway............................................

• Haha 2