Pre war cars insane prices

PreWarQc

Hi everybody. I've always wanted a pre war automobile but was always pushed back by the high prices. I never questionned those prices before because the market usually decides what the prices should be. However, I noticed in the past 3-5 years, that there is obviously a lot less people who are willing to buy those cars and they stay for a much longer time on the market and a lot of them are never sold. What disappoints me is the fact that instead of lowering their prices, most owners prefer to keep their car and let it deteriorate... I know it's none of my buisness what you decide to do with your own property however, antique cars are more than just property in the cultural sense and this kind of behavior is killing the futur existence of pre war cars for humanity to enjoy. I've seen a lot of pre war cars that are semi abandonned and waste away, they stop being maintained, driven and exposed to young people who would potentially be interested in learning about them, and maybe buying one. ''Young'' guys like me who would like to enjoy those cars are rare but there are a few of us and we are willing to buy them, but only at a realistic price. I have a bit of money but I am also aware that paying 20k for something that will be worth 5k (maybe less) in the next 10 year makes no sense. I know for a fact that the current generation (X's, Millenials...) will produce few humans that have the interest or hability to work with these machines. I am sadden to see a lot of cars rust away or good car being neglected. I've been looking at the Pre war car market for at least 10 years now and I tought price would have come down slowly, I never expected this!

8000$ for a REO with no wheels, no top, extremly rusted and has not started since the 50's. 1929 Essex more rust than metal for 5000$. Ford model T for 20 000$... 5000$ for a model A that is in storage since the 40's. Guys who hoard (as in the illness) pre war cars only to let them sit in an old barn rothing away with no exposure to young people... and those kind of guys complaining about young people not being interested in past.

Why deprive the people who should take the torch of being the keepers of those cars just because you don't get a fixed price you have in your head or because you need to hoard those cars until death comes and by then the only buyer is going to be the local recycling facility. Appart from Deusenbergs, Pierce Arrows etc... the market is bound to crash when most of the older generation will need to sell for all sorts of reason but by then, very few guys will be willing to buy and most of people like me who would of bought those cars will have moved on to others passions. I needed to vent! Please don't take offence. Thank you.

• Like 4

What kind of prewar vehicles are you looking for ???  Where are you searching for cars ?

First - the "dreamers" with the $5 to 10K pile of rust have always been there. If you are looking in the "sweet spot" (I classify that as 1932 to 1936 or so) than you will have a tougher time than if you expand your search forward to '37 to '42 or backwards into the nickel era cars which to my way of thinking are underpriced for the quality and design. You do have to deal with modern fuel problems (easily solved with an electric pump) and some metallurgical problems where poor material were used but these aren't beyond the skill set of anyone familiar with old cars. Good driver quality Model "A" Tudors are still in the $10 to $12 range tops and I mean decent ones - not someone's old bondo buggy. Even roadsters are generally around the $20K mark for a nice one (sales, not always asking price)..Model T's are even cheaper if you look at a later one,

Scour Craigslist, Facebook, Ebay, Hemmings, and the other ads. But don't overlook the importance of joining a local region or club. Many of the best buys are never advertised. Go to the Cruise nights and talk to people, go to the local shows and talk to people with cars like those you are interested in - many people only bring one of many cars they own and they may be thinking about parting with one if the right opportunity shows up. I bought a rough Model "A" coupe when I was 11 years old for $50. The meter reader noticed it and got to talking to my mother and told her he had a 1931 Sport Coupe he wanted $100 for. It was in rough but usable shape - it ran, it drove, it passed inspection.. A few days later the milkman knocked on the door and asked my mom if either car was for sale. We sold the coupe for the $50 I had invested. The more people who know you are looking for a car the quicker you will find one. They are out there..

• Like 1

I really suggest you check out the ads on the 36-38 Buick Club website. You will find several bargains on it. There are also some that I think are overpriced. The newer ads are on the top, so if it is near the bottom, there is a reason it has not sold, maybe it is overpriced. There is at least one advertised car that while very rare, has what I think is a totally unreasonable price. Most of the ads are in the ballpark of the car's actual value.

http://www.3638buickclub.org/advertisements.html 

If you do some research, you will find good pre-war cars that are reasonably priced. You simply have to look in the right place.

I have witnessed the price of many pre war cars dropping over the past five years. Member Trimacar has a 1911 Hupp that is presentable and running for sale this week for 10,500 asking. I purchased a fantastic 1915 T for the same money three years ago. A good Pierce series 80/81 that is ready to tour was available at Hershey this year for 16,500 there are plenty of beginner car available if one looks. I usually look at twenty cars before ai fine one I am willing to purchase........it’s  just work to keep you nose to the grindstone to get what you want. The cars are out there.......how many clubs do you belong to.......join ten or fifteen and keep looking, you’ll find something reasonably quick. Ed

• Like 4

I'll sell you this handsome 1929 Pontiac Big Six 2-door sedan for $14,000. Right now, ready to go. I just drove it today. I'd invest in a new set of tires, but otherwise it's an older restoration that's still quite tidy.

DSC_0161.JPG.9174211aef45a6b005beafd691141ed6.JPG DSC_0308.JPG.fb28b924d67fef7207c1cdec04eea596.JPG DSC_0276.JPG.8486e4eb353af38ca15d8f9815b403b4.JPG

DSC_0203.JPG.ba6e6bfc87b766fc811b420ca1e30973.JPG DSC_0207.JPG.81285c594dc8a588d23af26c510b1ae2.JPG DSC_0209.JPG.ebbdfd802420002800c08655ba06a758.JPG

DSC_0256.JPG.8055231dd6ee9686b2fab597161ca272.JPG DSC_0262.JPG.2647665bb33ae949394a2d26c83db01c.JPG

I will also sell you this mostly original 1940 Ford sedan with Columbia 2-speed rear end and a freshly rebuilt flathead with a Mercury crank inside for $17,000. Proven tour car, same owner for the last 45 years. I have also driven this one quite a bit and it works quite well. Cruises easily at 60 MPH. $17,000.

001.JPG.43af6795e801470e023359b1806037dc.JPG 005.JPG.4b4f6e1560872e9de7d66611dad6f351.JPG

041.JPG.a7f74dd0cea35bca31147c4de33fbb21.JPG 054.JPG.26867a346d1f82abf71a50f704a4f6d0.JPG 

062.JPG.b84bcf91f7a556ee35626679565852b4.JPG 067.JPG.e667cb195f59212aefe3be01491b23ee.JPG

Both cars are in Cleveland, Ohio and I can help you get them into Canada.

• Like 5

There are always reasons that one can come up with not to enjoy life.

It's too expensive.  It's too far away.  I have no place to put it.  I'm not sure my wife would like it.  I don't want to lose money on it.

All foolishness.  If you want to have fun, see things you can't see otherwise, meet people you wouldn't meet otherwise, and just plain enjoy the pride of ownership, buy a car you like and ship it or finance it or rent storage or talk your wife into it.

Excuses.  I'm getting sick of them.  Just get out there and have fun...the hobby has made my life so much richer for over 50 years, and one can start now, or keep up the excuses....

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Check Kijiji too.In the Ontario classic car section there is an older restoration 1931 Model A Ford rumble seat coupe for $10,000.It's in the Ottawa area.There has been a 1929 big series McLaughlin-Buick on there for quite a while for $17000.There's a sweet 1934 Plymouth Deluxe sedan for the same money.Those are all in Canadian dollars.Good luck.

Jim

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, vermontboy said:

But don't overlook the importance of joining a local region or club. Many of the best buys are never advertised. Go to the Cruise nights and talk to people, go to the local shows and talk to people with cars like those you are interested in - many people only bring one of many cars they own and they may be thinking about parting with one if the right opportunity shows up. I bought a rough Model "A" coupe when I was 11 years old for $50. The meter reader noticed it and got to talking to my mother and told her he had a 1931 Sport Coupe he wanted $100 for. It was in rough but usable shape - it ran, it drove, it passed inspection.. A few days later the milkman knocked on the door and asked my mom if either car was for sale. We sold the coupe for the $50 I had invested. The more people who know you are looking for a car the quicker you will find one. They are out there..

You're right, this I have neglected to do... local clubs, thanks!

24 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I really suggest you check out the ads on the 36-38 Buick Club website. You will find several bargains on it. There are also some that I think are overpriced. The newer ads are on the top, so if it is near the bottom, there is a reason it has not sold, maybe it is overpriced. There is at least one advertised car that while very rare, has what I think is a totally unreasonable price. Most of the ads are in the ballpark of the car's actual value.

If you do some research, you will find good pre-war cars that are reasonably priced. You simply have to look in the right place.

Thank you for the link... those are increadible machines. Buick's are over my budget for now, but maybe someday.

29 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Jumpin' Jebus, there are some bargains on there!

• Like 1

What is your budget? That 1937 Century for $12,000 is a deal. It needs some work, but not that much. With a bit of work, it will be worth about twice the asking price. The 1937 Limited is reasonably priced. 

20 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I'll sell you this handsome 1929 Pontiac Big Six 2-door sedan for $14,000. Right now, ready to go. I just drove it today. I'd invest in a new set of tires, but otherwise it's an older restoration that's still quite tidy.

I will also sell you this mostly original 1940 Ford sedan with Columbia 2-speed rear end and a freshly rebuilt flathead with a Mercury crank inside for $17,000. Proven tour car, same owner for the last 45 years. I have also driven this one quite a bit and it works quite well. Cruises easily at 60 MPH. $17,000.

Both cars are in Cleveland, Ohio and I can help you get them into Canada.

Superbe! Really nice cars... But the exchange rate makes it impossible for now.

I have a guy who is really trying to buy my 1937 Century in spite of the fact that I told him I don't want to sell it. I quoted him a crazy price and he is still wanting to come see it. If I sell it, I will probably either buy that Limited or else the 1937 Century from California and pay to have it shipped across the country to me here in NC. I can't believe nobody has bought that Century. The Limited is a very recent ad. It is only for sale due to the owner's death.

18 minutes ago, trimacar said:

There are always reasons that one can come up with not to enjoy life.

It's too expensive.  It's too far away.  I have no place to put it.  I'm not sure my wife would like it.  I don't want to lose money on it.

All foolishness.  If you want to have fun, see things you can't see otherwise, meet people you wouldn't meet otherwise, and just plain enjoy the pride of ownership, buy a car you like and ship it or finance it or rent storage or talk your wife into it.

Excuses.  I'm getting sick of them.  Just get out there and have fun...the hobby has made my life so much richer for over 50 years, and one can start now, or keep up the excuses....

With all respect, I'm not in the lucky position of being able to spend money without considering consequences. Most people like me in the upper middle class need to reach a balance between mortgage, the kids education, travel, good food on the table and hobbies. I am honestly happy people like you can afford to buy many antique cars but in my case, and most guys my age with a bit of money, buying something as a hobby cannot get in the way of more important things.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

What is your budget? That 1937 Century for $12,000 is a deal. It needs some work, but not that much. With a bit of work, it will be worth about twice the asking price. The 1937 Limited is reasonably priced. 

It's a good price, I agree, one of the best bang for buck i've seen... but I'm in Montreal (transport + exchange rate = not a good deal.)

31 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

Check Kijiji too.In the Ontario classic car section there is an older restoration 1931 Model A Ford rumble seat coupe for $10,000.It's in the Ottawa area.There has been a 1929 big series McLaughlin-Buick on there for quite a while for $17000.There's a sweet 1934 Plymouth Deluxe sedan for the same money.Those are all in Canadian dollars.Good luck.

Jim

3 minutes ago, PreWarQc said:

It's a good price, I agree, one of the best bang for buck i've seen... but I'm in Montreal (transport + exchange rate = not a good deal.)

Then check out J.H. Boland's Canadian suggestions. If money is the issue, then avoid the currency exchange hurdle by looking locally. You should join local antique car clubs in your area and you will probably find folks who can give you advice on cars to buy locally. There are many cars that get sold to fellow local club members without ever being advertised elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I happened to see an episode of Barrett-Jackson during the weekend, which I think dated from 2016. I always expect Barrett-Jackson prices to be high, but there were three good looking Ford Model A coupes that went for between $14K and $22K. Makes some of the prices being asked here in NZ for Model As look expensive.

It's possible it's already sold, or bogus, but I picked up an obscure collector car sales publication yesterday, with an ad for a 1937 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe in ON. No photo, no mention of engine, claims it is complete and not rusty. $2,500. Maybe it has dogs living in it, or the ad's just there as a joke. It was in Classic Car Round-Up Magazine out of Jane Lew, WV.  I used to get their Truck Round-Up mag 15 years ago, but they are both hard to get out west.   

P.S.: If you don't seriously consider that Roaring Twenties Pontiac in Cleveland, you should check if you have a pulse.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

Wow, what a terrific and welcoming response this is. :huh:

Here is a young fellow posing a very real question and he's up against a very real barrier of the high cost involved to get into this hobby. 

I'm certain you're an older guy now who's made a bunch of money in this game so it's probably easy to blow off a potential new/young hobbiest with comments like the one you posted, but don't forget, back in the 60's when you got into this hobby it was a LOT more affordable. There were no Barrett Jackson type shows driving the prices into the stratosphere.

I have read, over and over on this forum, posts asking how we're going to get younger people interested and involved. Maybe reaching out and offering helpful advice instead of an admonishment for not having deep pockets would be a good place to start. 

Kudos to those who did offer affordable leads to our new friend.

PreWarQc, follow the advice of the helpful members here, check regularly on the "Cars For Sale" forum here. Many will post links to very affordable craigslist ads that pop up every few weeks. The right one will come along. In the mean time, post here with questions when you find a potential candidate. You can get a lot of good (and free) advice on which models to follow and which to steer clear of, value, condition, etc.

Good Luck with your search!

Greg

I'm not trying to be too critical, but I have not seen PreWarQc respond to the questions about what he's really locking for. Pre-war  covers a lot of ground. Are you talking about late 30's fat fendered, late 20's-30's Classic era, 20's or earlier non Classic, or even earlier? What do you consider affordable? In the fifty years that I have been collecting cars, I have never seen the supply better, or the the prices more affordable then they are now. Are you looking for a turn-key or will you accept some level of a project?

It shouldn't come as a surprise that we old timers were young once too. We had to go through the same balancing act, that you are faced with today. I don't remember complaining about people who were unwilling to part with their cars, and at a price that I wanted to pay for them. Whatever that price may be, in your case. Normally I would suggest patience, but in your case you have waited for ten years and still not been able to find what you want. I think that it might be time for some soul searching. This may not be a question of current owners and the market, but one of your ability to make a decision. The world is yours to make a choice from an amazing selection of cars available today, then it's a matter of determining what you can afford and  getting to where you need to be, to get it into your garage. Have you considered financing? Credit is still very affordable and available. That's the way I bought my first Classic Pierce Arrow, some forty two years ago, when credit was much less affordable then it is today. I personally have always thought that it is strange that a person who will finance a $40K pickup, may never consider financing a $20K collector car.

I doubt that many of us old timers worried about what the market would be in ten years, or about the exchange rate of currency, when we started in the hobby. Most of us have had to pass on a car because we just couldn't get to where we needed to be. It also shouldn't come as a shock that no mater how old some of us get, that we still have our unfulfilled dreams.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jeff_a said:

It's possible it's already sold, or bogus, but I picked up an obscure collector car sales publication yesterday, with an ad for a 1937 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe in ON. No photo, no mention of engine, claims it is complete and not rusty. $2,500. Maybe it has dogs living in it, or the ad's just there as a joke. It was in Classic Car Round-Up Magazine out of Jane Lew, WV.  I used to get their Truck Round-Up mag 15 years ago, but they are both hard to get out west.   

I'm pretty sure its missing a 0. They have a website?

6 hours ago, jeff_a said:

P.S.: If you don't seriously consider that Roaring Twenties Pontiac in Cleveland, you should check if you have a pulse.

Agreed, I do sometimes see good deals in the states but I sadly have to add 30% to the asking price plus shipping; I'm in Canada.

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

Selling a car is hard

That is exacly what I'm pointing out... it is not normal in the free market to have difficulty selling something. And I know people struggle selling their cars because I see them resurfacing time and time again in the classifieds.

If it is the case that you can't sell your car, there is something wrong the asking price...

When you're young, you don't have the extra money for the really good, special car you want.  When you're old,  you don't have the time left to restore it, or finance it.  You have that guy in the nursing home business who is just waiting to fleece you of all the money you have left.  The time to shine is just after the kids graduate and hopefully get a good job, the house is paid for, and so on.  The house has to get paid for to get mortgage payments off your back.  At that point you may be 55-60 and you can take the chance of paying for the big dollar car you've been lusting for.  Try to buy a car you don't have to restore, because unless you are really hands on, restoration parts and labor costs are out of your ability unless you were making well over $100,000 a year.  I'm just about to turn 80 and I consider myself upper middle class.  The day I get really sick, my cars will be worth nothing....by that I mean when you have to sell, the buyers sense it, and you won't find one willing to pay a good price because they know you have to sell.  I guess that all sounds really dark, but that's how I see it.  I love to take a scabby car and get it restored to be beautiful.  That's really exciting.  So, I've decided at this point in life time is more important than money.  The last three restorations took 9, 7 and 4 years.  I finally found a man who would  and could paint a car, detail the engine and chassis all in about 6 weeks.  Yes, it's costing more than the bodyman's home or part-time garage, but look at the cost on a new car.  My new 2017 Buick was worth $10,900 less than I paid for it by the time I had 2900 miles on it.  Why should the old car of my dreams be any different.  When I was 22, nobody I knew seemed to care if they made money on their old car.  Of course we were paying $125 for a good car and $800 for a cream puff then.  One man mentioned credit.  Well, I had to borrow the $125 to buy the blue car in the picture back in 1963.  Now I don't have time left to borrow $22,000 or $43,000 for a car I want, so I have to have cash.  I have to think about my wife too.  I can't go down and leave her with $100,000+ of old cars in the garage.  So, there's a lot to think about if you're upper middle class in the winter of your life.  I'd like o sell my '39 Buick convertible sedan, one of 714 made, but who's going to pay $55,000 for it?  Some dealer will pay $20,000 and make the $35,000 profit and some auction.  Makes me feel foolish.  At some point you have to face growing up and growing old.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PreWarQc said:

With all respect, I'm not in the lucky position of being able to spend money without considering consequences. Most people like me in the upper middle class need to reach a balance between mortgage, the kids education, travel, good food on the table and hobbies. I am honestly happy people like you can afford to buy many antique cars but in my case, and most guys my age with a bit of money, buying something as a hobby cannot get in the way of more important things.

I'm not wealthy either.  The cars I have are the result of over 50 years of collecting, and my "expensive" cars were bought almost 35 years ago when they were somewhat affordable.  I own some cars I couldn't afford to buy right now.

My point is that there are affordable cars out there, and there are loans available at the bank.  People think nothing of taking a 6 or 7 year loan on a $40,000 or $50,000 new car, but balk at $10K for a car they could really have fun with.

I understand the constraints of budget and family, but there's just about always a way to make things happen......best of luck in your search...

• Like 2

So our 1930 Chevy was pulled from a field after the tree growing through it had been cut out. The 1912 arrived in tea chests, mouse nests and all, and it was because of the generosity of an older collector that we were able to buy it. 13 years later it was on the road. The 1909 was totally dismantled and the owner overwhelmed and I think that was 5 years . The last one 1906 was road running! None of these cars were publicly advertised.   My point is you do best if you are willing and able to invest sweat equity. Buy something you like, regardless of the brand and make sure your family is with you.  My children’s fondest memories are being in shops and garages while older craftsmen taught me how to use a lathe, pour babbit and generally make things I needed. I even reproduced my own wood bodies. So that is how I got into the hobby. As to why people don’t seem bothered that they don’t sell at their asking price? They can always tell the wife that they are trying to sell it but there doesn’t seem to be any buyers. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, playswithbrass said:

So our 1930 Chevy was pulled from a field after the tree growing through it had been cut out. The 1912 arrived in tea chests, mouse nests and all, and it was because of the generosity of an older collector that we were able to buy it. 13 years later it was on the road. The 1909 was totally dismantled and the owner overwhelmed and I think that was 5 years . The last one 1906 was road running! None of these cars were publicly advertised.   My point is you do best if you are willing and able to invest sweat equity. Buy something you like, regardless of the brand and make sure your family is with you.  My children’s fondest memories are being in shops and garages while older craftsmen taught me how to use a lathe, pour babbit and generally make things I needed. I even reproduced my own wood bodies. So that is how I got into the hobby. As to why people don’t seem bothered that they don’t sell at their asking price? They can always tell the wife that they are trying to sell it but there doesn’t seem to be any buyers. 

That is wonderful.  You were fortunate to be so mechanically inclined.  I was not.  Early on I worked on my own cars, only to do everything wrong.  Back in the day I had a lot of friends who were professional mechanics and bodymen.  Now that I'm old, most of them have gone on to the great beyond.  So, obviously at $70+ an hour it is time to cut back.

My stock reply to anyone looking for a great affordable prewar car has always been Ford A,T or if your interested more in late 30s, early 40s, mopar.  Really amazed though at the choices, affordability and support for Buicks, would add that marque to my little list, esp. If one wants an 8 cylinder car.  

• Like 2

There is nothing more expensive than buying a car for 'cheap'!

By the time you are done hauling home that $1000 car that came out of a barn after decades of poor storage, you'll end up spending five-figures rebuilding it.  In the end, that 1929 Pontiac or the '40 Ford mentioned at the beginning of this thread as examples, will end up being the better deal.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The prices on cars that have just been pulled out of the weeds where they have  rested for 30 years are the ones that really get me riled up.

They appear daily on Craigslist, and I wonder if they actually sell, or is it just a price that is put on them just before they go to the crusher.

I would like to make an offer on some, but I don't feel comfortable offering only 30% of the asking price.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I forgot to mention I am in Cobourg Ontario. The 42 Chev runs and drives but needs restoration. Price $5000 Canadian.

image.jpeg.d162ee8e29d4ef7f2fface6f1f3ea16a.jpeg

I will be in Cobourg starting  Friday with a kickoff barbeque for a 3 day pre war 1942 vintage touring event.

As for looking for a good deal on a car I bought a 1912 T touring from the original family through this forum in Feb. here in Canada. I also missed out on a 1910 REO  4 cyl. restored + spare engine for 20 ,000 past winter for dragging my feet. Next day it was sold my fault. There was also a complete 13 Cadillac touring basket case for 10,000 that I spoke to the owner about. Decided I did not want another project and it sold in two days. These were all in the AACA forum in the past six months. As for finished ready to go cars Mat is offering you some very nice  introduction cars to get you in the hobby.  As for buying an antique car and loosing money 10 years from now the same goes for a new car. 

Another topic is changing the name from calling tours and cars as pre war cars 1942 here in Canada. I take a lot of flack over that name from the older members and non members. Will have to bring it up at our AGM in Oct. Everything today has to be so politically correct. 

My three topic rant for the day.

• Like 1

I bought my first antique car when I was 35 a litle over 20 years ago. I ways a young poor police officer. It was a rusty 1931 Model A Ford that needed more work than I realized at the time. I borrowed $5,000 from my Credit Union to buy it. After I could afford a better car, I sold it (in much better condition when I bought it) to another young couple that were starting out in the hobby. I raised two kids in antique cars over the years. I have had a bunch of Model A Fords, a few other antique cars, and now I am into Pre-War Buicks.  I am 57 years old, retired, and have more disposable income than I did when I was young. Join a local club, find an affordable car, and start enjoying the hobby. Your first car is probably not going to be one that you would consider buying many years from now. The hobby is fun. The people will become great friends. You don't have to find the perfect antique car to get in the hobby. As a young person, you will not be able to afford a perfect antique car that you will want to keep forever. You have to start somewhere. An old Model A Ford in poor condition is an affordable way for a young person to afford and enjoy the hobby.

• Like 2

so youve waited 10 years to buy a car, tells me you really have no intention of buying a car.

I went on ebay last night and bought a 1929 dodge sedan for 1900. I bought it to flip............bargains are everywhere if you open your eyes and stop complaining.

People who do in life succeed!

whiners will always whine.............

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I'm not trying to be too critical, but I have not seen PreWarQc respond to the questions about what he's really locking for. Pre-war  covers a lot of ground. Are you talking about late 30's fat fendered, late 20's-30's Classic era, 20's or earlier non Classic, or even earlier? What do you consider affordable? In the fifty years that I have been collecting cars, I have never seen the supply better, or the the prices more affordable then they are now. Are you looking for a turn-key or will you accept some level of a project?

I actually did not post this thread to seek an immediate solution for not having an (old) car. What I wanted was to understand why older guys refuse to lower their price when their car won't sell and why do they prefer to keep their car and watch them deteriorate. As I said, it is none of my buisness what people want to do with their property but I'm interested in understanding the behavior and I also want to point out the consequences of this behavior.

I don't really care about the money. If I knew they would keep their value (or even lose a bit), I would buy one today! The problem is, and this is why I refuse to buy one now, is that I know buyers will be extremely rare in the next 5 - 10 years and the prices will completely collapse. I mean, I love those cars but I'm not in the position where I can buy something 20-30k and see it reduced to barely nothing. Millennials and x's will not be buying those cars in big enough numbers to keep the prices up... and soon they will be the bulk of the potential buyers.

But to answer your question, I am looking for anything from that era. I'm passionate about them more than any other year because my view of the world is more closely related to the pre war society than to the present state of the world. The political world of those days, the social context and cohesion. The world before the war was better in my sense (not perfect) but better. I'm french-Canadian but the American model of government and society of those days is what I relate to the most; free market, small government, freedom and prosperity. I also prefer the style of the days... the attention to detail, the smell. So any car between 1900 and 1942 would be just fine.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that we old timers were young once too. We had to go through the same balancing act, that you are faced with today. I don't remember complaining about people who were unwilling to part with their cars, and at a price that I wanted to pay for them.

The economic reality of families today is quite different and have nothing to do with the past. Yes luxury items are less expensive be it tv's, computers, cars... but houses, food, education; all the basic goods are more expensive than in the past and when you add them up, there is not a lot left even if you have a high income. You can choose not to buy a new TV but you have no choice to buy when it comes to housing, food and education. Today you have to be very conservative if you want to be able to put money aside for retirement, pay your mortgage and raise kids with enough resources to make them productive members of the society. Most young people are swimming in debt and will be doing so much of their lives, I don't want to follow that path so I'm on a tight budget. As I said... I have enough money to buy most cars but not enough to see its value decline year after year for the next decades.

Whatever that price may be, in your case. Normally I would suggest patience, but in your case you have waited for ten years and still not been able to find what you want. I think that it might be time for some soul searching. This may not be a question of current owners and the market, but one of your ability to make a decision. The world is yours to make a choice from an amazing selection of cars available today, then it's a matter of determining what you can afford and  getting to where you need to be, to get it into your garage.

There is no soul searching to be made. I've own a few antique/collector cars in the past 20 years from Air cooled VW's to a 1950's Hudson Hornet to a 60's Ford and a Hemi Dodge. I've enjoyed them all and when I needed to sell them to finance important projets I never had trouble. Presently I need to be more careful with money for many reasons but I can still afford something nice but it must retain most of its value in the years to come, this is the most important prerequisite. I don't have a crystal ball, but I strongly doubt pre war cars will hold most of their value in the coming years.

Have you considered financing? Credit is still very affordable and available. That's the way I bought my first Classic Pierce Arrow, some forty two years ago, when credit was much less affordable then it is today. I personally have always thought that it is strange that a person who will finance a $40K pickup, may never consider financing a $20K collector car.

I have no debt except for mortgage and I plan on keeping it this way... And yes, financing a 40k pickup is not the way to go, I agree.

I doubt that many of us old timers worried about what the market would be in ten years, or about the exchange rate of currency, when we started in the hobby. Most of us have had to pass on a car because we just couldn't get to where we needed to be.

I might be wrong but from what I saw online, antique cars were much cheaper before the mid 90's...

It also shouldn't come as a shock that no mater how old some of us get, that we still have our unfulfilled dreams.  

I agree, unfulfilled dreams are part of life and one as to be in peace with that fact that some might never be realised.

• Like 1

A lot of excellent advice here from seasoned collectors who don't have bottomless checkbooks or finances. In reading through the responses I did not think of having a car financed, but yes it is possible. How soon do you want to get involved in owning a car , or do you want to put it off until the "right car comes along at the right (your) price?"   Reread what BuffaloedBill, Dyanaflash8, McHinson, Matt Harwood, trimacar and 8E45E have stated. The enjoyment and peace of mind you will get from old car ownership ( and the friendships you make) and use lets you put up with all the everyday stuff you can't control and have to contend with. I too have taken the plunge to step up to buy a pre war car I always wanted even 50 years after I bought my first one when I was just into my teen years. LIFE IS SHORT, and this I can swear to from recent experience. Be happy while you are vertical. You don't have to buy a top end prize winner to be happy, BUT it should be a running (or easily made to be ) driving car. In 2016 I bought the car of my dreams, one I had hoped at age 13 to own , I sold a couple of cars I loved , I had to do it to get the $ for the one I now own.  All the while I was  thinking, at my age do I need to spend this kind of $ on a "toy". Well I am glad I did because the thought of the car I now own and the pride in ownership got me through (is still very much doing so) a health issue that happened in December.  Old cars make us happy, don't wait to long to be happy, LIFE IS SHORT, enjoy what time you have .

• Like 1

As Red said, "Get busy living or get busy dying."

You are lamenting that there are no more cheap pre-war cars and that prices are "insane," but I think part of the problem is your definitions of "insane" and "cheap." There are no more nice Model As in the farmer's barn for $25. There have been multiple demonstrations of good cars for what, today, is not a lot of money, yet even those are "too expensive" for you. I don't know what your criteria are or your budget situation, but it looks to me like the problem isn't a dearth of cars but rather a significant disconnect between reality and fantasy. You're not going to get much car for $5000, and certainly not a ready-to-go car that won't need some work. You probably also can't buy a move-in condition house for $35,000. Or a lobster dinner for $5. You live in Montreal, that's an expensive place to live, but that situation should also have recalibrated your sense of value to something in line with 2018 rather than 1968. You're getting good advice here from people who have done it. It's a mistake to look back at the past when you could get a car for $1000 and figure that the cars were cheap back then; $1000 was still a few months' worth of pay for an average person. The cars weren't cheaper, everything was less expensive, and people made less money. Guys back then who bought cars that you think were "cheap" probably spent a similar percentage of their income on them. It's all relative.

The best advice is that which you've received from Trimacar and Dynaflash8, both of whom are telling you to get off the sidelines and into the game, cost be damned. Others pointing out that if you wait, and you have been waiting, you will likely wait forever and that's probably true, too. I spent most of my 20s and 30s thinking "after X is done, everything will be fine and then I can do what I want." Well, something else always came up and I never crossed that finish line. My point is, if you wait for all things to be perfect and for your life to be in order and for finances to be rock solid, well, you're going to spend the rest of your life in a holding pattern waiting for that perfect situation that will never come. Life is a series of small opportunities, but you miss them all if you just sit there waiting for the PERFECT opportunity. 

Today I have decided that while I am young and healthy, I am going to enjoy life. I am not going to wait for retirement to do the things that I want to do, I'm going to do them now. I might be ill, or frail, or hit by a truck and miss it all if I put it off for later. No thanks. I am taking my retirement now, in small chunks, whenever I can. And yes, that retirement involves buying cars that I like. I don't go crazy (I could probably have one amazing car or the five pretty good cars that I currently own), but if I have to reach or sacrifice to do it, well, I do. I haven't lived to regret it yet and the great thing about cars is that if I need money, I can always turn a car back into a pile of cash pretty easily. No, you'll never get 100% back, but if you can get 70% or 80% of your money back, that's pretty good. That's a cushion that most people don't think about--instead, they think that buying a car is throwing money away and it's gone forever and that it's a waste. Not true. Durable goods with value are smart places to put money, not foolish. And if it makes you happy along the way, it's a double win. Your fears about pre-war cars losing their value may or may not be true, but that has nothing to do with the here and now and your happiness. Spending all your time focused on money is a great way to lose sight of what life is about. Money, money, money, it's why everything's so farked up these days, particularly here in the US. It's like money is all that matters to anyone, even though they don't really know what any of it means (hey, I just got a $30/week tax cut but my health insurance now costs $1800/month--what a win for me!)

Or you can sit on the sidelines and do nothing and bemoan that the world has treated you unfairly and how you wish it was like the good old days. But the bottom line is this: Money is relatively easy to get. Time is impossible. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PreWarQc said:

I don't really care about the money. If I knew they would keep their value (or even lose a bit), I would buy one today! The problem is, and this is why I refuse to buy one now, is that I know buyers will be extremely rare in the next 5 - 10 years and the prices will completely collapse. I mean, I love those cars but I'm not in the position where I can buy something 20-30k and see it reduced to barely nothing. Millennials and x's will not be buying those cars in big enough numbers to keep the prices up... and soon they will be the bulk of the potential buyers.

Sorry to inform you, the sky is not going to fall - honest. When I was first married back in the late 60's, early 70's jobs started to get a little scarce. I went through several periods of unemployment. Every day the sun rose, we ate and raised a family, and life went on. Is a temporary decline possible, sure. Perhaps you don't remember when foreign investors came over and bought up all the 59 Cadillacs and Roadrunners they could find - prices soared ten fold. And then, they came back down. 

Prices will not be "reduced to nothing". There are few hobbies where profits are expected. Do you expect golf clubs, cameras, skis, etc to go up in value - no. You accept that there is a cost to doing something you enjoy.

Remember that more people die regretting the things they didn't do than those that they did do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1