gregchrysler

Woodie for sale 1949 Chrysler Royal Best Offer Must Sell

7 hours ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

You guys will enjoy this one. How is this for a one of a kind original woodie wagon? My 32 Plymouth wagon. Most likely the last of it's kind to exist today. It held up pretty well considering it's been sitting for over 60 years.

IMG_5600_3.JPG

IMG_5596_1.JPG

IMG_5592_1.JPG

IMG_5591_1.JPG

I have a bit of a gruff here.  Post after post you are saving or have saved all these old cars,  but almost everyone of them is in some of the most terrible storage I have ever seen.  Sell a few cars and build a good garage to keep the better ones from turning into these. 

They may be restorable,  but I can only imagine how good they would have been if you had built a good building to keep them in, in the first place.  I'm the furthest thing from rich,  but I took that nice 100G egg I had and could have bought a very nice Auburn with,  but sunk it into a place to keep one some day.  

Please do these cars a favor and find them a new home even if it means not getting top dollar for them while there is still something left to them to save. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Greg,

The car is overpriced, restored means different things to different people. The car that is priced at $179K is very over priced, and still for sale. As was stated previously on this forum and in my opinion,  the car you are trying to sell is very likely a $10,000 dollar car at best. The standards for "restored" to most  people I know is not this car, this car to the people I know and myself is a car that needs to be restored, and may have been better off had it been left as is without any work done. If I was in the market for a woody type car there are many other options avaiable for sale of  good solid cars nice and ready to enjoy. Greg, I do not know you, and I do not know anyone else on this forum, If you truly do not know that the standard of work that has been done to this car is not the best, well this post can be an education. You can keep asking whatever you want for the car, it is your car after all, in my opinion you will be hanging on to this car forever unless the realization that it is not what many consider restored becomes clear.The car may be rare, rare does not always equate to valuable. There is a nastiness to this thread now and I don't like it, you have asked for advice in this post,  and good advice has in my opinion given regarding your difficulty selling this car. Put it on eBay no reserve with $100 starting bid and let the market decide. Good luck with the sale. Andy

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

listing already gone

Correct.

I found it under completed listings.

I think you all should settle down,he posted a car for sale.granted ,poor post,you guys are hateful.w

Who cares what he is asking for it.There is a way to make a point without trying to run someone from the forum.I do agree with most post,not the way they are received

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, old car fan said:

I think you all should settle down,he posted a car for sale.granted ,poor post,you guys are hateful.w

Who cares what he is asking for it.There is a way to make a point without trying to run someone from the forum.I do agree with most post,not the way they are received

I agree! Being that this thread is now on top of the page AGAIN!  I will comment. Everytime there is a post by a member (who is not interested in the car) all it does is bump someone else back to page 2. I agree with many of the comments, and I also agree that when the forum rules need to be pointed out a post is needed. In this case as in all sales the seller sets the terms.

• Like 2

Wow, and people think we are harsh over on the mtfca forum!  (Well, sometimes we can be!) But I do have to agree with much of what has been said.

One thing I do disagree with (sorry  60FlatTop), is using appraisers for something like this. With one single exception, a longtime good close friend of mine, I do not like most antique automobile appraisers. Most I have met or otherwise dealt with had no clue about the intricacies of the antique automobile markets. They start talking about what it would cost to duplicate a bad car. I saw a 1926ish Dodge sedan mostly poor condition with a horrible purple (yes, purple) paint job, almost no interior, and barely running.  He appraised the car at $48,000 (yes forty eight thousand dollars!). Is ANY 1926 Dodge sedan in the WORLD actually sellable  at that price? Oh, he had lots of arguments for why the car was worth that, and actually demanded to be shown one just like it for that price (he had me there!?). When I told him about two available in better condition (one of which also happened to be purple!) both available for under $6000 each, he just said they weren't "the same". 

I tell that story from time to time (I know even on this forum before), unfortunately, I have met several others just as bad. I don't generally like dealers either. Matt H is an exception, as was another fellow I knew thirty years ago. My reasons for disliking most dealers is their grandiose claims and tendency to price most cars at least twice what they are realistically worth. I don't fault them for needing to make a profit, and would consider paying a bit more because of the realities of their business, but REALLY!

Antique and collector car values are a complicated mix of minute details, specific desirabilities, and absolutely a quality of restoration or preservation. How RARE anything is only has value when in conjunction with one of those other three things, and mostly in conjunction with the desirability.

Been in the hobby for fifty years now, and most of that has been my opinion for more than thirty of those years.

• Like 1

gregchrysler,

Typically we don't allow discussions about the value, condition, etc. on Buy/Sell Forum posts. In this particular case, you seem to have been receptive to the discussion, in spite of the tone of some of the comments. Someone else has now reported some of the posts that you chose to respond to rather than report to the moderators. This for sale ad has now sort of morphed into more of a discussion where you are seeking input on price. As a moderator, I don't know how to deal with this best. I can delete all of the comments and let you start over, but some of the comments are probably actualy helpful for you since you seem to be seeking guidance. Please let me know how you want me to proceed. Perhaps, you may want to start another discussion to discuss this car and after the conclusion of that, you could post another Buy/Sell ad with a price listed. If you want me to delete this entire discussion and let you do that please let me know. If you want me to delete everything from this ad, including my post, and leave this for sale ad up I can do that.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

My reasons for disliking most dealers is their grandiose claims and tendency to price most cars at least twice what they are realistically worth. 

Some of the fine offerings from the dealers have sold in extremely short order. That defines the market. A car which is a no sale at "at least" 1000% (one thousand percent), of what it is "realistically worth" defines something other than the MARKET. Wayne's example of a $4000 purple car being appraised for at least 1000% of market value is a perfect analogy to the reality disconnect we have all been trying to rectify. Greg has come to us for assistance, and assistance is what we all have been offering. Some very bluntly and directly, others gently with polite consideration for an assumed fragile (?) ego (?). Sarcasm can be an incredibly illuminating communicative tool in certain instances. My position is to directly attempt a reality check. Reality has its place from time to time. In the end that particular mode of understanding may be the most efficient means to an end.

24 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

gregchrysler,

".................................... some of the comments are probably actualy helpful for you since you seem to be seeking guidance."

Egg-ZACT-ly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!              Still with us, Greg ?                      One of your helpful forum friends here,      -  Cadillac Carl 

Posted prices for any vehicle can raise eye brows ....... the value of a car can certainly vary from one seller to another.

The art of negotiation between seller and potential buyer can resolve the opinionated differences in  pricing.

It seems the ruffled feathers have become obvious because of the printed misrepresentation,  regarding  the condition of the vehicle itself.

The original poster has the opportunity to accurately restate the condition ....... or leave the ad as is ........ or delete the ad and start over.

Since you guys have not responded to Matt Hinson's last post, I have gone through and removed some posts that are considered way over the line. Helpful information can be useful to the original poster, but some of the out-of-the-way comments are NOT!  

Please be more respectful!

Wayne

• Like 2

If I ever leave these forums it will be because I strongly disagree with almost any form of censorship. Thank you but I can decide for myself which posts are "way over the line". No offense Wayne, just my opinion.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

If I ever leave these forums it will be because I strongly disagree with almost any form of censorship. Thank you but I can decide for myself which posts are "way over the line". No offense Wayne, just my opinion.

This isn't the first time he's done that and it probably won't be the last.... :wacko:

• Like 1

•  
  •  
  • old car fan
  • Members
  • 1,785 posts

You, g-g-g0, roysboystoys and 3 others reacted to this
Like ×

• I couldnt agree more. Especially when it comes to some of the high folutin dealers who think they know everything.................... Every time someone tries to sell a car that is less then spectacular on here, they are bombarded with tomatoes! This forum is for the rich and poor alike and should be treated as such. For anyone to look down there nose here is a real joke.
  • Many different classes of collectors here and there should be respect on all counts..................
  •  

• Like 2