Looking for storage in California

• 1 month later...

Wishing you luck!  I'm in San Leandro and garages start at $150 per month, 3-car shops at $1,200.  When I was your age I was paying $5/month single, $10 for a 2-car, but that was a long, long time ago.

Here's what I used to do:  Go to local churches and senior citizens centers and post a "want garage to rent" note on  4 x 6 cards.  You're looking for widows who no longer drive and could use a little extra income.  Say something like the following:

"Student/young professional [as appropriate] with references needs a storage garage for a 1920s infrequently driven (maybe one day a week) collector car which is fully insured. Will not store hazardous materials. [First name and phone number]."

Just get your foot in the door and they usually won't mind if you work on it over weekends so long as you're not painting (other than rattle cans) or running a grinder.

Feel free to PM me with your location and a phone number in case I happen across something.

Good luck up there. I personally would take the car out of the Bay Area and store it in a UHAUL storage unit in a neighboring city. 

I store my 1940 Chevy Delux in a Uhaul storage unit that I take out each month, then close the storage unit and move it to another storage unit so I get the same price as the last one. its a renew or new rental. 

if you want to be really cunning, make friends with a guy that works at the UHAUL and maybe find out what beer the guy likes, or spot him a $100 bill, then tell him you want to keep the same price for your unit and store the car for about a year, then see if there is an under the table deal you can make with the guy/girl. 

worked for me for years until the guy left, now I have to do the rent/cancel/rent thing or the unit would cost me $150 a month. but well worth the secure storage. 

also check local Wrecking Yards, sometimes they will have containers that are not used and you can store your car in for a price. 

another idea is sell the car if you do not find a storage, not worth getting teh car ruined by keeping it out in public, they will strip the car up there quick. 

A container is fine, but make sure it is vented, otherwise it can sweat and the car won't do well in it.

I rented a garage from an elderly couple (like we are now!) when I was a youngster but got kicked out when the car dribbled oil. That was before I figured out the cardboard fridge/TV/washing machine/what-have-you box under the car trick.

• Like 1

I always told them it was natural for cars of this vintage to have an external lubrication system....it was designed to keep parts from rusting....they believed me.?

• Haha 1