Water Pump Plugged in My 49 Dodge Coronet

Showing my age but aren't there any places that will hot tank the block. Back in the late 50's and early 60's (long before the EPA had been thought of) we took the really gnarly stuff (wire wheels with 10 -12 coats of brush enamel, etc) to the local chrome shop. They would wait until their dunk tank got pretty bad and then clean all the junk people had brought in. Who knows what they did with the stuff but I think I know - the EPA would shudder.

On the other hand it was Rochester , NY and Kodak was doing it's own good job of disposing of all sorts of things ...........

Anyway - the block needs to be tanked = you are not going to scrape all that out of it without the patience of Job.

3 hours ago, capngrog said:

Is that the water distribution tube shown at the left side of the last two photos?  If it is, it looks to be really clogged.

Cheers,

Grog

Yes....in the last photo on the left side is the tube and it will have to be removed and replaced.

3 hours ago, vermontboy said:

Showing my age but aren't there any places that will hot tank the block. Back in the late 50's and early 60's (long before the EPA had been thought of) we took the really gnarly stuff (wire wheels with 10 -12 coats of brush enamel, etc) to the local chrome shop. They would wait until their dunk tank got pretty bad and then clean all the junk people had brought in. Who knows what they did with the stuff but I think I know - the EPA would shudder.

On the other hand it was Rochester , NY and Kodak was doing it's own good job of disposing of all sorts of things ...........

Anyway - the block needs to be tanked = you are not going to scrape all that out of it without the patience of Job.

Talk about showing one's age -- you spelled "shudder" correctly, while I spelled it "shutter". More and more these days, I find my once fairly good spelling ability letting me down.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Talk about showing one's age -- you spelled "shudder" correctly, while I spelled it "shutter". More and more these days, I find my once fairly good spelling ability letting me down.

Well, I can certainly relate to the "old age" phenomenon; however, with all of the new "hand-holding" technology which is intended to help keep us from messin' up, we have become too reliant on such technology as "spellcheck" etc.  I don't know about everyone else, but I don't proof read as carefully as I used to.  Both "shutter" and "shudder" are legitimate words and even sound the same, but have different meanings (homonyms/homophones?)  Until the advent of Artificial Intelligence, I'm thinkin' that our computers will continue to be flummoxed by the English language.

Meanwhile, eye think I'll just steel up the stares to my office sweet to make sore my stationery is stationary and is their for my garage sail.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Based on the looks of the distribution tube it is probably rusted through so that would possibly need to be replaced. I’m not sure if the engine runs for any length of time but in my ‘51 Meadowbrook I powerwashed as much of the rust out of the block as I could, replaced the water pump, and flushed the radiator forward and backwards then put water in the radiator and a tub of wood bleach. There’s a lot of discussion about wood bleach on here. My car constantly overheated so I put the bleach in and ran the car for about 5 hours total over the next couple of days. Then I flushed it and repeated the problem. Now my car doesn’t overheat. I’m not sure about the mechanics of the wood bleach and correct me if I’m wrong but it seems to eat the rust.  

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Michael_Blackburn said:

hey guys How do you remove the water jacket on my flat 6 im going to replace it but not sure how to remove it ?

FYI, before you catch a lot of grief, it's a flat HEAD six. Corvairs, Subarus and Porsches have flat sixes

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael_Blackburn said:

hey guys How do you remove the water jacket on my flat 6 im going to replace it but not sure how to remove it ?

If you mean to say the water distribution tube on the passenger side of the engine, you will have to make a hooked wire and shove it in and pull the tube out. It will hook to the holes in it and with MUCH effort, it may come out. They are famous for breaking up into smaller pieces.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

If you mean to say the water distribution tube on the passenger side of the engine, you will have to make a hooked wire and shove it in and pull the tube out. It will hook to the holes in it and with MUCH effort, it may come out. They are famous for breaking up into smaller pieces.

thank you never thought of that

5 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

FYI, before you catch a lot of grief, it's a flat HEAD six. Corvairs, Subarus and Porsches have flat sixes

Actually, it is technically referred to as an "L" head 6. See diagram....

L-head 6.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)