What vehicle was this???

6812OlyGirl

I'm trying to identify these bones of a vehicle that I found on some remote property that we have owned for a few years. It's got a bit of wood around the top of the metal frame. I  know nothing about antique vehicles but am very curious about this. I know the photos don't show enough but hoping it's obvious to a few of you experts. Thanks!

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

Interesting touring car rear body section. It may be pretty tough to identify. Likely somewhere between 1914 and 1925 based upon the style and construction. Medium to large size car based upon door and fender relationships. The body was steel over wood framework, with a wooden "tack strip" over the top of the body steel for the upholstery (and maybe folding top?) to tack onto. Is there any more of it? Front section or rear doors perhaps?  Are the bottom areas of the metal salvageable?

Way back when, it was common for cars more than a few years old to have the rear section of the body removed and replaced by a simple box for an early day pickup truck. This may be the cast aside rear section of such a truck.

Even if the actual manufacturer of the body section cannot be identified? It still may be of some value. There would have been dozens of cars with similar body lines and dimensions that such a section could be adapted for a good quality restoration.

And when I speak of "value", I generally refer to the historic value, its usefulness in completing a restoration of a historic vehicle. The dollar value, with some exceptions, is usually very small for parts like those.

• Like 1

As is usually the case , Ivan appears to be on the right track. Also looks Buick to me. Possibly 1922-23. Not  just the metal but the way the wood is constructed as well. Could be something else , Nash for example however Buick is a good place to start. Charles Nash was Buicks President before launching Nash motors and early Nash cars have a Buick influence.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

1920 Planter.

Craig

Your may be onto something, but the Body molding ribs in the rear fender wells and the possible

boat tail indicate it is a later Planter Boattail Roadster of 1924-25.  Roadster instead of a touring 

because it only has two doors and no windows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2018 at 10:31 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Interesting touring car rear body section. It may be pretty tough to identify. Likely somewhere between 1914 and 1925 based upon the style and construction. Medium to large size car based upon door and fender relationships. The body was steel over wood framework, with a wooden "tack strip" over the top of the body steel for the upholstery (and maybe folding top?) to tack onto. Is there any more of it? Front section or rear doors perhaps?  Are the bottom areas of the metal salvageable?

Way back when, it was common for cars more than a few years old to have the rear section of the body removed and replaced by a simple box for an early day pickup truck. This may be the cast aside rear section of such a truck.

Even if the actual manufacturer of the body section cannot be identified? It still may be of some value. There would have been dozens of cars with similar body lines and dimensions that such a section could be adapted for a good quality restoration.

And when I speak of "value", I generally refer to the historic value, its usefulness in completing a restoration of a historic vehicle. The dollar value, with some exceptions, is usually very small for parts like those.

Thanks for you insight! I won't be there again until next week but will look around then. The portion that you see is sitting in a seasonal stream bed. I will look for more parts. They may be buried.

• 4 weeks later...