1929GRAHAM-PAIGE

1929 Graham Paige Model 621 replacement carburetor

I have a Graham Paige model 621 (Big 6) that needs a replacement carburetor. The original Johnson Model R pot metal is cracked and unusable. The intake manifold is 1 3/4" and the engine is 288 CI.

I'm hoping someone can recommend a place to look or a carburetor for sale?

Thanks for your time!

Edited by 1929GRAHAM-PAIGE
Spelling (see edit history)

Carter 289SD worked great for may 619 (same engine)  Only start with full choke, do not depress the gas pedal, crank over till it starts, works every time.

There is a Stromberg that is supposed to be even better.  You will have to check with John (Carb King) for the proper application.  The Stromberg has a vacuum accelerator pump, the Carter is mechanical so it can leak gas on start up. 

Great page...

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Aftermarketupdraftcarburetors.htm

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

Graham Man,

The carburetor info and recommendation is greatly appreciated! 

The original Johnson R carburetor had a center to center bolt spacing of 3 5/16”. The compatible carburetors for the 288 engine are all 2 15/16” center to center.

By chance, did you have a mounting adapter made? Any guidance would be extremely helpful...

Thanks Again!!

Yes Carter made cast adapters, sometimes you can find them on ebay.  Most likely you will have to fabricate one, or you might have some luck at swap meets?  In todays world, I would trace the mounting bracket on the carb and intake take that to a fabrication shop, they could make the plates out of 3/16 steel, slice open a connecting pipe, or expand a pipe to fit and make a adapter, they might have other suggestions.  Fabrication is most likely your best bet.  If you build one watch your throttle linkage directions.  If I find an extra I will send it your way.

Good Luck

image.png.b4049c46c1a890ad5ec3ad8d423ae74c.png

Jon inserted some hope...  S.A.E. had standard "sizes" for carb attachment so finding the proper one at a swap meet should be possible.  You are looking for a size 3 (G-P 288 cid) to whatever carb "size" you decide to use.  

PS I now have a Johnson Carb (small six)...it disintegrates when you touch it.  I was hoping to make a display of it but I might have to mount it in acrylic so it will stay together.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/311375-aftermarket-carburetor-adapters-original-or-fabricate/?tab=comments#comment-1751702

All of the above assume a two bolt flange. There were a few applications with 3, 4, 5, and 6 bolt flanges. The procedure is the same. S.A.E flange sizes (cheerfully ignored by Marvel, and some others):

Size 1 - center to center 2 3/8 or 2 7/16

Size 2 - center to center 2 11/16

Size 3 - center to center 2 15/16

Size 4 - center to center 3 5/16

Size 5 - center to center 3 9/16

Thank you for all the info Jon!

I had called last Tuesday, after your normal business hours, to order the Stromberg you were holding for me. I left my info and will call back this coming Monday morning.

All the small six Johnsons disintegrated.  I don't think I have a whole one.. :)  We are using Tillitsons over here .  I think the big six guys here went Detroit Lubricator, which I think the 8s ran