Daytona Olds?

1937hd45

Daytona Olds? I am familiar with the Oldsmobile Pirate, but this is not it. The Pirate used two Oldsmobile one cylinder engines joined together. This car appears to have a longer wheel base relative to track and wheel size, as well as lower and substantially different suspension. I have seen several original photos of the Pirate, and although there are similarities (mostly early, spindly,  and crude) with a single centered seat, none of the Pirate photos I have seen looked like this. There were a few similar early racing cars built, but none as famous as the Pirate.

Did Oldsmobile build a different car called the Daytona? I certainly don't claim to know everything (although I wish I did know everything).

I used to like several threads on the HAMB. A lot of excellent discussions of early racing history. But I haven't been back since they "upgraded" their site a couple years ago, and my limited "not quite a DSL line" could no longer handle the downloads.  (I hate computer people!)

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Looks like the first rail job. Put drag slicks on the back and it would be at home on any drag strip in the fifties.

Yep, and put in a hemi and it would get an ET in seconds instead of minutes.  ?

Hey Joe, what year was that Packard? I wonder if the leather belts around the front axle were some sort of early shock arrestor? The "radiator" looks like it could be used as a home heating system, I would love to see how they are piped to return flow to the motor. The exhaust headers are cool the way they attach 4 into one, vertically, into the exhaust pipe. That is one beautiful race car! Great having a fuel tank in your lap/face.

1 hour ago, 46 woodie said:

Hey Joe, what year was that Packard? I wonder if the leather belts around the front axle were some sort of early shock arrestor? The "radiator" looks like it could be used as a home heating system, I would love to see how they are piped to return flow to the motor. The exhaust headers are cool the way they attach 4 into one, vertically, into the exhaust pipe. That is one beautiful race car! Great having a fuel tank in your lap/face.

That is one of the better "Clones' in the hobby, built from the original blueprints. The original Packard Gray Wolf is still out there some were. Bob 

21 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:
See the source imageBy 1906 things were getting more refined. Bob 

That is the V8 Darracq - which has been recreated, using the original engine and front half of the chassis. It is campaigned enthusiastically by its owner.