1936 Pontiac Master 6 Harmonic Balancer

Randiego

Guys or Ladies,

We are finishing up my engine. It is in the machine shop.  My machinist tells me that I have the wrong Harmonic balancer for my motor.  He showed me the seal collar that should mate up to the balaner and it does not mate up.  there is a cork gasket (that is in the Egge gasket set) that is correct for the seal plate but it doesn't mate to this harmonic balancer.  I have cleaned the balancer and can find no number stamped on it.  Can someone help me with this?  If it is not the right balancer, I need to source the correct one for my engine.  

I will attach the other photo in the next message as they are too large to attach all three to this message  You can contact me direct at;  randy@americanarbortreeservice.com or by phone (760) 533-7540. 

Thanks,

Randy

20180527_170258.jpg

20180527_170247.jpg

Folks,

Here is the third picture of my balancer.  In the previous pictures, I have flipped the seal unit over so you can see both sides.  I hope that this helps in identifying what this goes on or ? ? 

My machinist told me that if I do not get the right part, the oil will sling out the front of the engine. It is critical that I get the right balancer to finish the job.

Randy

20180527_170307.jpg

Any assistance in finding the answer to this puzzle will be appreciated.  Does this look like the correct balancer for my Pontiac 6 cylinder?  My machinist says otherwise.  What is the solution. And if it is the wrong balancer, does any one have the right one?    Write back to my email address;    randy@americanarbortreeservice.com   or phone;   (760) 533-7540.   I am in Oceanside, CA.  (North San Diego County)

Respectfully,

Randy L

Greetings from another 36 owner. I have not had my engine apart, but as I understand it, the front seal is an improbable thing that spins a glued-on piece of cork against the inside of the timing cover. I am not sure how the balancer figures into this.

I will look at mine when I get home and see what I can see (probably not much).

Really tight in there, couldn't get a good picture. Mine is more or less like the one in the manual picture, except there seem to be only 3 bumps (I think) on the front of the balancer instead of the 4 shown in the manual. It also appears that the bumps on mine are separate pieces, apparently spot welded on. Yours doesn't seem to have them at all. It doesn't really prove anything as these cars had a bunch of mid year changes.

The seal does indeed key to the crank and spin a piece of cork against the front cover (see manual pic). The manual also mentions using a tool (probably a spacer) to get the timing cover centered on the crank. What is it about the balancer that your machinist thinks is wrong or wont work? Did it run before with this balancer?

3Rsdarq.jpg

yzCjoLb.jpg

8fxgNOy.jpg

vdKRGRS.jpg

KFYc3zV.jpg

isrJWUo.jpg

vDTafAx.jpg

PtEHsbO.jpg

e0qeJ5H.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)