Water Pump Options 1938 Special

VMac822

The water pump on my '38 is pretty noisy and without the belt on the shaft is a little wobbly. Doesn't leak though.  It has part number 1307344-1 on it.  I have no idea how old the pump is, the car is unrestored with 104,860 miles with its original mostly untouched engine.  I see there are NOS rebuild kits for around $50 here and there (mostly eBay) which I have concerns about.  Replacement pumps are around $200.  I see there is a shop in Oregon called Flying Dutchman that specializes in vintage water pumps  http://water-pump-rebuilders.com/buick%20water%20pumps.html

Has anyone ever used them and was their price and turnaround time reasonable?  I should have done this over the winter but I want to take care of the water pump in the next couple weeks because I want to hit the road a couple times next month and wander a ways from home.

38 engine01.jpg

38 engine02.jpg

38 buick post01.jpg

Hi!

I have a NOS rebuild kit available if required ( if yours is an early engine number build) which I bought to rebuild mine on my ‘38 Special.

It now has a later pump fitted that was rebuilt over here (Australia) so am happy to re-sell the kit. Kit contains bronze bushes, seals, packing, gasket, impeller with shaft fitted. 

If interested let me know by PM and I can send you some pictures.

Rodney ??????

Thank you Ben and Bruce.  Got your PM Ben, I don't have a parts book so don't know what my pump could interchange with.

Bruce how do I tell if my engine is an early '38 or not?  My engine serial number is 43548856 if that helps.

The Hollander shows the '37-38 60, 80, 90 water pump assembly as interchanging with '36 40, 60, 70, 80, 90 p.n. 1328455. The shaft and impeller with fan hub only fit the '37-38 models. So does the body 1297754. I think that is what it is saying... confused... if the assembly fits, why not the parts?

5 hours ago, VMac822 said:

Thank you Ben and Bruce.  Got your PM Ben, I don't have a parts book so don't know what my pump could interchange with.

Bruce how do I tell if my engine is an early '38 or not?  My engine serial number is 43548856 if that helps.

Looks like first half of year production.   '38 started with  [4]  3,396,937

'39 started with [4]   3,572,652

The prefix 4 being the series number.  4 for 40 series, Special.

Where is home VMAC?

Ben

There are 2 types of pumps in '38 and they will interchange. Early used bronze bearings and packing. Later used sealed ball bearings and a rotary seal - like pumps are still today. The latter is better in my mind and I feel you should try to get one of those - no maintenance required.

I think some are over thinking this and making it confusing. On a 1937 the original water pump which is probably the same as an early 1938 water pump has a grease fitting. The replacements have the sealed bearing and no grease fitting. If you don't have a grease fitting you probably have a "newer" pump.

Carl

• Like 2

Good information everyone, that is all helpful.

Yes mine is a series 40. The pump doesn't have a grease fitting.  given the car has a little over 100,000 miles I'm sure it was replaced sometime in the past.  but I'll play it safe and  go with a later style with the sealed ball bearings.  I will call Dutchman tomorrow and see what they can do.

I talked to Flying Dutchman and they will rebuild mine for $125, provided that backing plate is in acceptable condition, or do an exchange at the same price with $75 core charge.  Turnaround time is 3-5 days once they have mine in hand, so will probably have them rebuild mine since I won't be needing to drive the car again for 3 weeks.

Ihad the water pump on my 37 Roadmaster rebuilt by the Flying Duchman and will highly recomend them. The work was flawless and part of their services is to throughly clean the parts and repaint the housings. When it was shiped back it looked and worked like a new pump.  I do not remember the cost exactly, but $150.00 rings bells.  I have no regrets with the work and price.

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, Ray34 said:

Hi, an old thread I know but can I direct replace the old style pump with the gland packing on my 34 series 40 with the newer style?

my pump has a pitted shaft and I can’t get it to stop leaking badly.

ray

Yes. Ball bearing pump for series 40 was made backward compatible to 34&35 series 40.. Also goes up up through 1940 series 40and 50. 1941 to 1948 switched to the same pump as used on the 320 engine.