Want info on '38+ turn signal stalk

70sWagoneers

You are looking for a mythical item if you want it to be Buick.  There were some aftermarket turnsignal kits in the 1940's.  The contoller clamps onto the steering collum and wires attach it to little lights clamped to the bumper bars.  I put such a rig on my former 1935 Buick and I used 1948 Buick backup lights on the front and Harley Davidson little turnsignal lights on the rear.  The Harley Davidson turnsignal lights have red lenses in a chrome bullet-shaped light that looks like a smaller version of the 1948 Buick backup lights.  It makes an attractive adaptation.

Buick introduced rear signal lights in 1939 and front signal lights in 1940.  Folks often add an aftermarket setup to the steering column on 1936, 1937,  and 1938 Buicks, and use the front fender lights for signal lights.  I'm sure others can weigh in here on how to do it.

• Like 1

Remember to decide on the rear lights before buying a switch.  The wires are different in number if you are or are not using double filament bulbs in the rear.

Guide was offering truck/bus add-on signal lights as early as 1936 IIRC (both mickey mouse ears, and flush mounted for buses). I don't know what the switches looked like, probably not a stalk. Whatever it was it would not have been set up for sharing bulbs with the brake lights, as the signal housings were all separate items.

The 39 Buick (hopefully some owners will chime in), as I understand it, has a switch lever on the column shifter. The signals are rear only, over the license plate.

For 40, (any 40 owners out there?) I'm told Buick added front signals and moved the switch onto a stalk so they could add cancel, and it was still on the right side of the column. IIRC Buick kept the signals over the license plate, meaning separate bulbs, an implying the switch is probably not set up to share with the brakes.

From about 1941(?) there were Guide signal switches for Chevrolets and so on. It is called a "Guide 6002", and there are several subtle differences depending on year, etc. These attach like an aftermarket turn signal stalk. I am not sure if these can share a bulb with the brake lights. Maybe. I doubt it. They do not cancel. They continued with minor changes until about 1948.

Vintage-1940s-1950s-Guide-6002-Car-Truck

After that, there was the guide 6004. It came in a bunch of versions for different applications and years, two different mounting styles, different colors, some with a red indicator lens, some with green, some for brakelight interface, some not, etc. These have cancel, and still look about like a 6002.The ones that do not have enough wires to interface with the brake lights apparently do have the extra contacts in the switch, so you can just solder wires on. All the wires probably need changing anyway. IMHO this is the one you should look for. Yeah, it is not period (49-52 or so), but it is small and looks the part.

guide6004c.jpg

Beyond that, there are several switches available that do hail from the 30s, with looks to match (Yankee, etc). Most do not cancel and cannot interface with the brake lights, meaning you would have to add another housing of some kind in the rear.

If it were me, and I just had to have signal lights, I would get a Guide 6004 with the least visible mounting style (the glorified hose clamp), solder all the wires in, put dual-filament bulbs in the fender top lights, and share the brakelights in the back. It would be almost invisible.

I have two '38". I added trun signals to both of them.

I like the 7 wire AutoLamp 9000 turn signals, especially because they have a self cancelling feature thst works great (a little wheel that rubs on the steering wheel hub)

I modified the fender lamps for a 2 filament bulb and added a wire to the rear so I can use the stop light as the signal lamp too.

I think the AutoLamp looks good and near period - mot modern at all. I also painted them the same color as the steering column to make them blend in.

Here is a photo taken before completion of the interior

DSCN2266.JPG

• Like 1

I knew someone would chime in.  Thanks!

For 1939 there is a small lever switch on top of the column shifter that activates the "Flash Way" rear turn signals in the Buick Eight trunk emblem, as shown in the eBay ad.  On my 1939 Roadmaster, I don't have the optional front fender lights, so I added some small signal lights on the front bumper arms.  (I didn't want to drill holes in my fenders to add the optional front lamps.)

• Like 1

I have a '40 which has the bullet front turn signals and the awesome trunk turn signals for the back as I showed. When I turn left I always remember to signal, so the guy behind me knows it's a BUICK. When I turn right I don't always signal because who cares if it's an EIGHT?

Besides the original ones you can find on ebay, there are reproduction ones available, I think bobsautomobilia.com sells them, not sure. The wires go above the headliner along the left side,  then run down behind the back seat, to the middle of the trunk and down the inside of the trunk lid, the wires span the hinges of the trunk lid. They go the same route as the license plate light and trunk light, they don't go the same route as the brake lights or tail lights, which enter the trunk along the left side of the car.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

10 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

I have two '38". I added trun signals to both of them.

I like the 7 wire AutoLamp 9000 turn signals, especially because they have a self cancelling feature thst works great (a little wheel that rubs on the steering wheel hub)

I modified the fender lamps for a 2 filament bulb and added a wire to the rear so I can use the stop light as the signal lamp too.

I think the AutoLamp looks good and near period - mot modern at all. I also painted them the same color as the steering column to make them blend in.

Here is a photo taken before completion of the interior

DSCN2266.JPG

This one pictured above is the most common version found at flea markets (east coast) and swap meets (west coast) :)

It is also the one I was referring to in my comments above, that I used on my 1935 Buick with the '48 Buick backup lights on the front and the Harley Davidson lights on the back.  I'm not sure how you look for general accessories on line, but I would try "turn signal" or "aftermarket turn signals" on Google.  That way if somebody has one on eBay it will show up.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)