Memorial Day weekend

SC38dls

Just wanted to say it’s the start of summer, cruise ins, shows, picnics and the usual summer fun activities. But it is also a very special day to remember fallen friends, relatives, and unknown hero’s that served and gave the ultimate sacrifice. I’ve got 5 service buddies on the wall and an uncle in WWII I think about every year on this weekend. I wish they could have enjoyed the life and fun I have over these last 50 years!. God bless them all. 

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I don't know Phillip but his grave is next to those of my wife's parents. My wife goes to the cemetery several times a year to put flowers on their graves and she always puts a flower on Phillip's grave too. As you can see on his tombstone, next month will be 50 years since he died. I'm going to bring in a vase of flowers and put them on his grave on Sunday June 24th. I got my driver's license in June of 1968 and think of all I've done since then that he's missed out on. He died a month before his 20th birthday. I served two years in the Army in the early '70s but didn't go over there so I guess I was lucky. Anyway, please keep Phillip and all of our other military heroes in your prayers this weekend.... 

275890973.jpg

• Like 6

It is a special time for me . My Dad servied in WW2 along with two of his bothers also his sister was a  nurse for the men coming back to England from Normandy. I served 1964 in Vietnam , I think of all the young people that GAVE ALL . Kings32

• Like 5

18 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

and his time on the USS SAIPAN.

CVL- 42, the Saipan was refitted in the early 1960's and renamed the USS Arlington ARMR-2, a playmate of the USS Pueblo AGER-2. I picked it up in Yokosuka, Japan.

001.JPG.59d87dffffd8fbcbe58b4f1392c6aed7.JPG

image.png.a9cad4602dcfee446e72fd56f1e336af.png

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Went to the local cemetery today and all of the graves of vets had flags on them. One from Afghanistan, one from injuries in one of the gulf wars, two from Nam, one from Korea, 5 or 6 from both WW’s, civil war and seven that servered in the War for Independence. There is a special plaque honoring those 7 and giving the locations of each grave. If you are ever in Lexington it is a special place to visit.  I know out east that is much more common but I never knew Lexington Kentucky provided an army that fought in some of the first battles in the war of independence. 

Dave S