Trans America Challenge 2018

DLynskey

I just read in the newspaper about the Trans America Challenge 2018 which begins in Charleston tomorrow morning, May 27 and zigzags across the country finishing in Seattle June 17. There are 39 registered participants with cars ranging from 1927 to 1973. Almost all the participants are from Europe and Australia/New Zealand. Maybe you can catch them when they pass through your area.

http://www.endurorally.com/pages/trans-america-2018

Don

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Here's one of them with a MGB GT V8 uit 1973, 3500 V 8 , original 3,5 litre Buick / Rover V8 engine

http://sonjaverloop.wordpress.com/auto/

dsc046651.jpgdsc041771.jpg

I had the opportunity to see an MGB Convertible V-8 at a local AACA show in Lake Forest, Il. Really neat. I wish I had had had the chance to drive one.

Sounds like fun, but not as much fun as it could be with antique cars

The "Great American Race" was for stock cars built 1936  or earlier.

4500 miles for a $250,000 purse.  A once in a lifetime adventure, so

addictive I did it 11 times.  (1984-2001)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Knew they used the 215 Buick in Triumph TR8 and Morgan +8 but US never got a MGB V8 (note RHD & SUs).  215hp with turbo in a Cutlass & all aluminum. Was popular in kit cars in early 70s.

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Most cars in the Great American Race sure were not "stock".

Restorer32,  They were handicapped by age and equipment.  If a 1929 Mold A had 35 Ford wire wheels, it ran as a 1935 for scoring purposes.  Vehicles were inspected prior to each event and allowed year specific modifications with available equipment in the year of manufacture.

Yes, there were many speedsters, but mechanically correct.  The idea was that if you shed 1/3 of your weight it was like getting 1/3 more power from your power trian.  (That's the way early race cars were done)

This is based on my experience 1984-2001.   I undwrstand than now the Greatrace rules are different and they allow up to 1972.   My years of participation saw an increase in age up to PreWWII.

That Trans America Challenge 2018 came thru Highlands & Franklin NC, and I missed it.  Old car friends called me to ask what was going on, sorry I missed it.   http://www.endurorally.com/pages/trans-america-2018

With the Tail of the Dragon, the Cullasaja River Gorge Rd  and the Blue Ridge Parkway all close by, we see lot of sports car, antique car and motorcycle groups passing thru.   I guess I'll have to get a smart phone to keep up with the spotting of Keiser31.   This rally is heading his way!