Sign in to follow this  
Mark Gregory

1931 Ford Destroyed by distracted Corolla driver

Looks like a $31,000 Model A to me, hope the cellphone operator gets charged every cent. Very sad when idiots destroy family heirlooms. Bob 

• Like 1

How did a rear corner hit crack the engine block?  Broke all 4 wheels?   I don't discredit the part they should be justly compensated,  but the reporter may be overdescribing the damage a we bit.  Didn't quite look like a mint restoration from what I can see as reported. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've seen several wrecks from the rear that damaged engine blocks and with a torque tube it's easy to understand that the block could be cracked. It was hit in the left rear corner so all that force got rammed forward to a block rigidly bolted to the frame. Maybe not split in half, but I don't think I'd try to re-use that block after a hit like that. Model As are tough in ways they should be but surprisingly fragile outside of their normal operating conditions.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

How did a rear corner hit crack the engine block?  Broke all 4 wheels?   I don't discredit the part they should be justly compensated,  but the reporter may be overdescribing the damage a we bit.  Didn't quite look like a mint restoration from what I can see as reported. 

I'm on the side of the Model A owner, burn cellphone operator as badly as you can legally. Thank God it wasn't a baby in a carriage. Bob 

• Like 1

No problem burning the cellphone operator.  I just questioned the journalism.  Why do we always have to question them.  I thought journalists were suppose to just give us the unembelished  facts so we can make the decisions ourselves? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mark Gregory said:

Well you have to give her points for effort . At least she tried to flee first in the Corolla then on foot from the crash .

http://driving.ca/ford/auto-news/news/family-heirloom-1931-ford-totaled-by-distracted-driver-in-corolla

^^^^^^^^^  This  is why I take my old cars out EARLY on a Sunday to exercise them. Also, why I trailer them to AACA and other non local car events.

After SEVERAL near misses with distracted/idiot drivers while driving to car events, trailering was/is the only way to go for me when it comes to events that are not very close to home.

BTW, several years ago when I started exercising my old cars early on a Sunday morning  the roads and gas stations were pretty empty.

Now-a-days one sees a LOT of old cars on the road getting some exercise. At some local convenience stores when one stops for gas or coffee it looks

like a car show in the parking lot.

No doubt the distracted driver will suffer the consequences of her actions both legally and financially. It is only a matter as to how much.

The distracted driver is very lucky no one was injured in this accident. That would have taken the legal and financial consequences to a MUCH higher level.

2 hours ago, charlier said:

^^^^^^^^^  This  is why I take my old cars out EARLY on a Sunday to exercise them. Also, why I trailer them to AACA and other non local car events.

After SEVERAL near misses with distracted/idiot drivers while driving to car events, trailering was/is the only way to go for me when it comes to events that are not very close to home.

BTW, several years ago when I started exercising my old cars early on a Sunday morning  the roads and gas stations were pretty empty.

Now-a-days one sees a LOT of old cars on the road getting some exercise. At some local convenience stores when one stops for gas or coffee it looks

like a car show in the parking lot.

Have to agree charlier.I live in the country but to go any distance,I trailer.It's not foolproof but it helps.Had to get a taller trailer for the "newest" baby !

Jim

First trial fit and run 001.JPG

• Like 3