A different type of armored car.

It was still legal to own submachine guns during that time.  and there were BAR rifles and Colt Monitors available to the real hard cases.  That 'armor' wouldn't stop anything like that. Probably wouldn't stop a 45 from a Thompson. 

But it is thoughtful enough that those tire shields cover most of the tire profile.

Wonder if it had overheating problems?.

Mr Wildesien is right - your ears would ring for days afterward - but you'd probably be alive.

26 minutes ago, dei said:

Thanks for posting.

Makes me wonder what happens to retired armoured vehicles?

You just don't see them at car shows or listed for sale do you.

This one was purchased in 1954 by a WWII Veteran / career military.  He traveled the country teaching military how to be a sharpshooter.  The 1" thick glass and heavy plating throughout the body made it a secure place to keep his guns while on the road.  Its now in my collection.  Found by word of mouth.  I purchased the car from his widow. 

2018_05_27_07_59_45_Reader.jpg

2018_05_27_08_01_16_Reader.jpg

IMG_0743.JPG

• Like 6

10 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Dei. The trophies they give at the shows I’ve been too are not worth that much that they would require using armored cars for. 

Dave S 

Yes there is a cut back on those trophies due to costs but...

There is an annual car show / swap meet in Bothwell, Ontario that has had as many as 12 to 1,500 cars and has a 50/50 draw. That draw today can reach as high as 21,000.00 due to the popularity of the meet.

About 10 years ago the draw was growing and the guy that won it was handed 9,000 in cash bundled in the plastic hot dog bun bags as were previous years winners. 

Needles to say they stopped doing that and hand the winner a check because winners were worried about being followed home and robbed of that kind of cash!

Your armored car might have been put to good use then...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, CarFreak said:

This one was purchased in 1954 by a WWII Veteran / career military.  He traveled the country teaching military how to be a sharpshooter.  The 1" thick glass and heavy plating throughout the body made it a secure place to keep his guns while on the road.  Its now in my collection.  Found by word of mouth.  I purchased the car from his widow. 

2018_05_27_07_59_45_Reader.jpg

2018_05_27_08_01_16_Reader.jpg

IMG_0743.JPG

I see on that list a grease gun was included. Was that a grease,grease gun, or a grease gun, sub machine gun? LOL

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, chistech said:

I see on that list a grease gun was included. Was that a grease,grease gun, or a grease gun, sub machine gun? LOL

Unusually, it wasn't ordered with a taxi-like opening rear window to allow the rear seat passenger to shoot grease all over the road behind like's Bond's Aston Martin did.

Craig

• Like 1