Vacuum tank fuel filter

WPVT

This morning I discovered a plugged fuel inlet screen in the vacuum tank on my White truck. Has anyone successfully used an inline fuel filter between the fuel tank and the vacuum tank?

Or maybe installing an old fashioned glass sediment bowl would be the way to go. I have one at the bottom of the vacuum tank, and one before the carburetor.  That seems a little redundant, and perhaps I should move one to the inlet side of the vacuum tank. The rust particles

originate in the fuel tank, so it would seem wise to get them before they reach the fuel inlet screen in the vacuum tank.  

The fuel tank was cleaned, and looks good, but it must still have some stray particles sloshing around. 

So my question is...Inline filter, or sediment bowl ?  These are large particles, not microscopic. 

Thanks.

Hi there

on my old 27 Chev I'm running both the glass bowl and just a cheap in line filter I think it's a ryco  Z14 the glass bowl was fitted when I got the car 20+ years ago and shortly after I fitted the in line filter both are before the vacuum tank. I have not encountered any problems with this although at the time of fitting the filter a few oldtimers told me it wouldn't work maybe I was just lucky but I've had no problems with it.

Most auto parts stores have a glass center fuel filter that uses a fine screen to catch debris. The nice thing is you can visibly see if it is dirty and it easily comes apart to clean and put back together. I am using them before the Vacuum tanks and at the lowest point in the line with easy access to inspect. It has not interfered with the operation of any of the vacuum tanks yet for me. They cost about $10 and are 1/8" female pipe threads. They come with plastic fittings but I install brass ones. The filter is maybe .75" diameter and 2" long

• 2 weeks later...

Will the Stewart Warner pull through a in line filter? Yes, with no problem. On our V-16 Cadillac which has two carburetors, two vacuums tanks, and two separate fuel lines, both tanks pull through an in line electric Carter fuel pump AND a large glass fuel filter. Both systems are independent of each other and even in high Florida temperatures they work flawlessly. The pumps were installed before we bought the car and are there because they couldn’t keep the carbs from leaking and draining the tanks after shutdown. I got the system and carbs working correctly, but decided to leave the pumps and filters in place because the lines were designed for them when they restored the car. 

Thank you. Not enough information about the ability for a vacuum tank to draw through an electric pump and/or in line filter. 

I have that set up on my 29 Cad but have yet to really drive it to know that I wont have problems. 

ac

7 hours ago, m-mman said:

Thank you. Not enough information about the ability for a vacuum tank to draw through an electric pump and/or in line filter. 

I have that set up on my 29 Cad but have yet to really drive it to know that I wont have problems. 

Ok, here's that missing info.

If you convert inches of mercury of an automotive vacuum gauge to psi, you'll see that even as low a vacuum reading of 5 in/hg - about equivalent to tromping on the gas pedal after downshifting  to maintain speed going up a steep hill - the vacuum tank can produce over 2 psi of suction force on the fuel line. That's about the same fuel line pressure that the mechanical pumps  produced that replaced vacuum tanks in the late 1920's. And, even at that low psi the fuel line still can deliver much more fuel volume than the carb jets require. 

Next question might be,.... will fuel flow through an inline filter that is located between the vacuum tank and a carburetor with just the very slight pressure of gravity. Yes it will, easily.  I've installed fuel filters between vacuum tanks and carbs many times and never had a fuel flow shortage. 

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1