dictator serial number plates

hello everyone, i am looking at two different serial number plates on ebay, to replace the missing tag on my 28 dictator.  there are two different plates shown, and i want to pick the correct one if possible.  could someone shed some light, or post a picture of their plate, and also ive read that the serial number is stamped on the lower frame rail flange.  is that true, and if so where is it?  i looked under the drivers side frame and cant see anything,  my frame was blasted and painted, but as a whole, it wasn't very rust pitted.

thanks - terry

The serial plate posted by NZCARNERD would be the correct one for your 1928 Dictator. You can purchase a new one from Lavine's restorations (old Pulfer-Williams). See site at http://pulferandwilliams.com/data-tags/

They show only one Studebaker sample but they do have that serial plate you need. Just use the "contact us" function and send them the image and they will quote you a price.

As for the serial stamped into the frame, if your frame has been blasted and painted you will probably not be able to recover it.

• Thanks 1

thanks, i will give them a try.  as far as the frame stamped number goes, i just want to know where it actually is supposed to be,  my frame does not appear that it was heavily rusted, so i wanted to check for it.  were the numbers so lightly stamped that it didn't take much to erase them?

thanks - terry

I am not 100% certain that Studebaker was stamping the numbers in the frame as far back as 1928. I do know as far back as '31. In any event it was on the underside of the frame just about where you would put your foot to enter the car (drivers side). Yes, it was lightly stamped so very difficult to bring out. I assume your car is a model GE (check small tag on firewall)? If so I can provide a serial number range depending on whether your car is a first,  second or third design model (below).

28 dict GE explanation color.jpg

thanks studeq,  i did read about and looked for the number under the drivers side and did not see any sign, so i guess they maybe didn't stamp frames as early as 28, like you said.  i just read it somewhere on the net about the frame stamped number and thought it would be neat to find.   if the number was stamped in, I'm sure i would see a sign of it, my frame does not appear to have been heavily rusted at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/26/2018 at 12:31 PM, studeq said:

I am not 100% certain that Studebaker was stamping the numbers in the frame as far back as 1928. I do know as far back as '31. In any event it was on the underside of the frame just about where you would put your foot to enter the car (drivers side). Yes, it was lightly stamped so very difficult to bring out. I assume your car is a model GE (check small tag on firewall)? If so I can provide a serial number range depending on whether your car is a first,  second or third design model (below).

On 5/26/2018 at 12:31 PM, studeq said:

20200714_162240.jpg

This is on the firewall of a friend's 1928-1929 Studebaker dictator.  What design model would this indicate the car to be.  Excellent article.  Thanks

Edited by Dictator (see edit history)

That would indicate a Dictator model GE 4-door sedan but no way to divine whether 1st, 2nd or 3rd design without the serial number. Of course a photo would also tell me. See attachment for 3rd design features. Note specifically the radiator shell and visor as compared to the one I posted originally (2nd design). Of course the wire wheels and side mounts were both extra cost options available on either series.

3rd design sedan b-w (12-28).jpg

Edited by studeq (see edit history)

I had my 29 FH President down to the bare frame and there is definitely not a number stamped on the frame  anywhere.

Fortunately the aluminium plate was still intact on the frame, but very tatty as they usually are, so I bought a new plate. The plate on the right side of the frame which says President was not available , so I recently had one made.