Ron Aubry

Re-production license plates

In many states of the US, for road registration, no. You do see them at car shows now and then, as display pieces.

Someone makes them...they had them for each state and year when we were filming Public Enemies (Dillinger film).  I think they had about 20 sets of plates.  Rumor was they cost 40k.  All I know for sure is they locked them up every night.  Most likely it would have been less expensive to buy real plates but not as easy.  They were happy to let me run my original 1933 MN plates.

In Florida, a reproduction plate could not be used for a legal registration and could not be displayed in place of the legally required license plate.  I believe you could, however, display it on the front bumper as with any other decorative plate (college, football team etc.).   Many (if not most) states have programs that allow the use of a real vintage plate on a vintage vehicle.  As I understand it, the plate must be real, it must be submitted to the state for authorization/activation and must be displayed on a vintage automobile of the same year of manufacture as the license plate.    For example,  I found a real 1968 Florida plate at a flea market and submitted it to the State of Florida for authorization to display it on my 1968 Chevelle as my legally registered license plate/number. 

Here's one of the many vendors who popped up on a googol search for "reproduction license plates":

https://www.customlicenseplates.com/websitesamplespage1.html

Cheers,

Grog

I've used https://www.licenseplates.tv to have these made at a cost of about $95 each. They look great but they're a little lighter-duty than a real plate. Nobody can tell by looking at it, though. I'm not sure I like custom plates, but Melanie loves hers. I may go back to my set of 1941 government plates on the limo since I sometimes put stars on the rear doors and tell people it was Chester Nimiz's staff car. Have fun with it.

Plates1.jpg.b099926bfe8a2d84d8f45fbec0d68ee3.jpg LicensePlate1.jpg.413d22d75b6d729fd0c1b51aa94267aa.jpg

Both cars wear them on the road. I carry my dealer tags with me, but I've never been hassled by The Man about the plates on an old car and I've never heard of anyone I know being hassled because of their plates. I guess if you get a cop that's bored enough, but I'm willing to roll those low-risk dice.

• Like 1

Matt,

Better to say your Buick was used by a Colonel or a Brigadier General. Anybody 2 stars and up aquired a Cadillac or a Packard. We owned a 1940 Cadillac V-16 a few years ago that was Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz' west coast car. It came out of Harrah's Collection. Also had a 1941 Cadillac Convertible that was purchased on December 3rd 1941 by an Army Air Corps Major. Who trained B-17 crews in Colorado. Some cars have great stories.

Andy

40cad1.JPG

AP4504010416.jpg

41cad1.jpg

yl5.jpg

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 2

In Ky you can use them if you carry the antique plate in the car and the plate number can not be in use. I had this plate made by a company I found on eBay for $35 it’s been ok in KY for the last 2 years but it is identical to a 1938 plate for KY in color and format style. 

D5E0E429-E704-4F1A-96D1-0F48A9A1DFD3.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 5:03 PM, Brass is Best said:

Matt,

Better to say your Buick was used by a Colonel or a Brigadier General. Anybody 2 stars and up aquired a Cadillac or a Packard. We owned a 1940 Cadillac V-16 a few years ago that was Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz' west coast car. It came out of Harrah's Collection. Also had a 1941 Cadillac Convertible that was purchased on December 3rd 1941 by an Army Air Corps Major. Who trained B-17 crews in Colorado. Some cars have great stories.

Andy

It's awesome when cars have real history--I don't think mine has any of note beyond the headmistress of a girls' school in PA using it for its first few years of life. I just like the name Chester Nimitz. Sounds important and ridiculous all at once.

I'm also reminded of Charles Durning in that movie where the aircraft carrier goes back in time to Pearl Harbor. When he sees the name on the side of the ship he shouts, "They named a boat after  Chester Nimitz? He's not even dead yet!"

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 5:41 PM, Matt Harwood said:

It's awesome when cars have real history--I don't think mine has any of note beyond the headmistress of a girls' school in PA using it for its first few years of life. I just like the name Chester Nimitz. Sounds important and ridiculous all at once.

I'm also reminded of Charles Durning in that movie where the aircraft carrier goes back in time to Pearl Harbor. When he sees the name on the side of the ship he shouts, "They named a boat after Chester Nimitz? He's not even dead yet!"

Every car has real history. It is a shame they can't talk. 

The "Final Countdown" Splash the zeros!

untitled.png

• Like 2

I have driven thousands of miles with reproduction plates on a car, and have never been questioned. Probably twenty different states, and three countries. I carry the issued plates in the car. I get the most benefit from the reproductions in Mass, as the cops see the plate and don’t bother checking for an inspection sticker, with modern plates and an antique car, they always check. PS as I wright this I’m in a  foreign country driving on reproduction plates,  I don’t speak their language, so it will be interesting if I get stopped! Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I remember back in the Eighties or so at a car show there was a car with a PLASTIC novelty plate fashioned after the purple/blue antique plate.  I assumed he trailer-ed it, but couldn't understand why he used the antique plate theme. 

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

PS as I wright this I’m in a  foreign country driving on reproduction plates,  I don’t speak your language, so it will be interesting if I get stopped! Ed

Three cheers for your arrival in Brighton!  I thought that was in November.

Bernie

Not to create a controversy, but I know of two cars, legally registered with reproduction plates. The thinking is, what is the difference in finding an original plate and having it restored, or purchasing a reproduction plate. 

You wouldn't get too far with your own unautherised design plates where I live in Queensland, Australia.

All the cop cars are fitted with automatic scanning cameras that are connect directly from the computer in the car to the Transport dept. data base and they check every vehicle they see around them looking for unregistered vehicles, fine dodgers, outstanding warrants etc.  If the vehicle cannot be identified by its plates who would they send the fine to if you activated a red light camera or a remote controlled fixed radar camera so the penalty for unregistered plates is pretty savage $ and could even include car confiscation.  Big brother is definately watching.

You can purchase personalised plates for various prices depending what you are after and what they'll let you have.  Another nice little earner for the Government.

https://ppq.com.au/

TOOWOOMBA RUN 2018 026.JPG

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Not to create a controversy, but I know of two cars, legally registered with reproduction plates. The thinking is, what is the difference in finding an original plate and having it restored, or purchasing a reproduction plate. 

Exactly.  In the locales that allow the old plates, it makes no difference.

This thread has been a real education for me.  Judging by the posts in the thread, just about anything goes.  Make your own plate, buy a reproduction etc.  Now I know what to do.

Cheers,

Grog

1 hour ago, 39BuickEight said:

NYS allows the use of old plates - they must be approved. They cannot be restored, repainted, etc. They must be originals - not sure about other states but it is a state by state issue.

3 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

Washington State doesn't allow repros.. The plate can be restored, but has to be real.

well i have the california department of motor vehicle granted personalized plates for my 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina, i received my first choice in january 1978 i believe. 

santa monica 1973 007.JPG