Re bodied Packard 1108

packard12man

The re bodied 1108 Victoria that was on the forum a week back piqued my interest.   I know that these re bodied cars are in a grey area when it comes to meets and judging.  I have attached a couple of photo's of project 1108's from 5 or 6 years ago.  Is there anybody out there that knows the current status of these two cars?  The Victoria was in Pennsylvania and I believe the Couple Roadster was on the West coast (maybe Washington).  I am not a buyer just a curious enthusiast.  I know that they are re bodied cars but I admire the enthusiast willing to take on the challenge and expense of recreating such a work of art.  When done correctly it at least increases the chance of seeing one of these beauties at one of the various concours.  

DSC09141_1.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 11.40.04 AM.png

Greetings,

I purchased the vehicle in the top photo. It is currently undergoing a full body off restorationm at Concours Classics

in Macedon, NY. they have a website

it will be dark blue, dark tan leather interior and most likely a blue top. The V12 short block is done

and hope to have the car completed next year this time.

Robert

Reproduction coachwork and the ability to show, tour, and compete are all over the map depending on the venue and club. They are not for everybody, and several of us here watch them when they sell at public auction. I have seen unusual one off machines with incredible coachwork and craftsmanship  bring big dollars, and watched others fall flat on their face. The Concours circuit is tending to not put them on the field at the very big shows..........just look at the application forms as each year they require more and more provenance. I think the most interesting thing when it comes to Packards is the factory cars in standard eight, super eight, and twelve, and how the price ranges have broken apart so far it’s hard to figure out what the buyers are thinking. Factory bodied open cars with no provenance won’t bring anything, and if the car has been rewooded it is now also a huge minus. All that being said it will be interesting to watch the progress you make on your car. The hard part isn’t the wood or body work, it’s the hardware, trim, finished wood, and all the other special items that take countless hours to get the details right. Good luck with your project.......Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Robert, thanks for your quick reply.  I am with Alsancle, would love to see photos of the restoration progress and I am certainly looking forward to the finished product.   Love your colour combination choice.  

Edinmass - please keep your ears to the ground in regards to the Dietrich Conv Coupe.  

I have been keeping track of the whereabouts of the split windshield Dietrich's for many years now.  I have lost track of one - 1108 56 Conv Sedan, featured in Ed Blends book.  Restored by George Tilp, and then owned by the late Ken Wessel in Ohio.  I would love to know the whereabouts of this one to update my files. 

Brian

Brian, I New Ken well back in the 80’s but never saw him in a Custom Dietrich. There are a few of them around (conv Sedan), and several have traded hands in the last few years. The unrestored on that was in Connecticut in now restored and in New Jersey. The Al Jolson car just changed hands several times in the last few years. I’m sure the regular Packard crew knows where it is. I have heard a rumor a long lost Custom that hasn’t been seen in fifty years has recently been getting some attention. I’m not sure if it is true, but the source was from a very respected collector who has similar cars. He only smiles at me when I as him about it. It wouldn’t surprise me to see it on the 18th green soon.

Attached is a photo of the 1108 56 Packard that I am confident Ken owned.  Photo was taken at a Grand Classic back in the 70's.  This was the 1st custom split windshield Dietrich that I had ever seen and have been hooked ever since.  Also attaching a photo of a Dietrich Conv Coupe that Ken owned as well.  Car now resides in California. 

Brian

img0451.jpg

Runabout%20r3q.jpg

I just received a copy of "The Magnificent Packard Twelve of Nineteen Thirty Four" by Edward Blend.

There's a lot to fall in love with, what fabulous cars with beautiful body designs....the epitome of the Classic car for sure.....

• Like 1

Somehow I found one on EBay that everyone missed, it's numbered "19", some age discoloration to cover and a couple of front pages, but for the cost of a couple pizzas at Papa Johns  I'm not complaining....must have had a funny title on listing for your search not to show it....

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

Dave,   I have had an eBay search going for that book the last 2 years and have yet to snag one.   The prices are pretty stiff.

IMG_1685.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2018 at 8:41 AM, alsancle said:

Dave,   I have had an eBay search going for that book the last 2 years and have yet to snag one.   The prices are pretty stiff.

The prices are not too high, it's just that your too cheap! ?

The Holy Grail of Packards to be auctioned.  Just looking at this machine raises much pulse level and heart rate.  Will be very interesting to see how much the car brings.  If I could only have one car in my garage, this would be it.  What we really need are 50 collectors which 100,000 each.  Any takers, we can work out the details later!  The most exciting day for me in 40 years of the car hobby was a ride around 17 mile drive in this beauty after winning Best of Show at Pebble Beach.  I wish I could tap the phones of a few of the deep pocketed Packard collectors just to hear the buzz.  The surprising thing to me is that Judge Joe is willing to part with it.  Any opinions?1783192494_ScreenShot2018-06-07at7_03_26PM.png.c6594aec68055b980381a83e861fc6ac.png

On 6/7/2018 at 9:33 PM, edinmass said:

That’s a very nice car...........but not the Grail. 

Ed, I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering why you say that.  Always interested to hear your perspective about these cars that are so out of reach for so many of us that we can't come up with something negative about them.  :)

Not to speak for Ed,  although it would make him sound better,  I think that all the other pontoon fendered Lebaron bodies might bring more money.   My recollection is there are 4 runabouts and 3 of the Dual Cowls.   The latter being the grail for me,  that or a 32 Twin Six Dietrich DC or Coupe/Roadster.

This car had a lot going for it at PB.   Hadn't been seen ever,  never shown,  one off,  prewar photo showing it in its original configuration,  premium owner (the Judge),  premium restoration (Adams/RM), etc, etc.

• Like 1

Just an opinion. It’s a great car. I wouldn’t call any conv vict as the best body style of any brand of car. In my opinion the best packard in the world is the 1932 Packard Custom Dietrich Sport Pheaton up in Maine. Others will probably say a 34 Speedster. I think most would agree a Victoria is pretty far down the list. Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I had lunch with the owner of that black Dietrich  convertible Victoria today. 

Hmm, I wonder if this might have been at a local car show that unfortunately my family travels led me to miss.  If so, I hope and trust it was fun!

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

Ed gets breaks?!?!

There's a really nice guy in another club I'm in, he was new to car collecting and looking at a Packard that was for sale. 

He called a friend of his who was knowledgeable about Packards and asked him "What does this "diet rich" tag mean??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ken Wessel"s old 32 is alive in well on the left coast. I was looking at it last week in person,  it's sitting among a bunch of great iron, but sadly seen and my guess is it will rarely if ever get out on the road. Not for a lack of love, but there are just so many cars in the collection it severely reduces the chance of seeing it out in the open again.

Ed, enjoy and respect your comments on things not just Packard but Classic Cars in general.  I am confused by your last post.  Can't leave a fellow enthusiast hanging like this - curious as to what car you are referring to on the left (??) coast that was owned by Ken Kennel??  Are these just typo's or was the red wine really good??

The 1932 Dietrich Conv Coupe that was owned by Ken. My spell check changed the name and I didn't catch it.  Still the same color. Looks like it has changed hands a few times, but never driven since restoration. They have kept up with it and it looks like its 97-99 points. Photos weren't allowed or I would have taken one for you. I won't publicly address where it is, if you want to know just PM me and I will be happy to share it with you. Ed

I remember Ken Wessel's collection from when I was a kid. Even when I was 8 years old, I knew his Packards were special cars. I specifically remember the cream-colored convertible coupe, but I didn't realize it was a Dietrich body. It wasn't until I saw that photo that all the memories came flooding back. Thanks for that!

I got to know him through Tom Lester, and the Michigan Region of the CCCA. I was still in high school driving out to the early meets in my town’s old under cover police interceptor. Sleeping on the fiberglass rear seat was not very comfortable! We had money for gas and tolls........carried tools in case of a break down. We ate lunch and dinner at 7-11’s, a big gulp and twelve steamed hotdogs with potato salad..........every day for a week, YUCK! I can still tast it! It’s amazing what we did and had no money, all good memories. So many old friends who taught me the hobby and most are gone now......Ed