Replacement Expertise Needed

Hello,

My father owned a 1936 Olds for many years, as many of you can appreciate, it was his baby. We recently lost Dad and he wanted me to have the car. It runs and drives but needs a little work as his health for the past 10-15 years prevented him from working on it. I'm not a huge gear-head although I have worked on cars (mostly with Dad, we built my fist car together) in the past.

I'm hoping I can find a replacement for his expertise on his car through you folks here as I try to complete the last few projects he wanted done on it and perhaps even further into the future.

My first project is to replace the gas tank. I have not dropped the old one out yet, but I'm having a hard time finding a tank that I can recognize as a replacement from google searches alone. Can anyone provide any references of where/what to look for to make sure I purchase a compatible tank?

Thanks in advance for any help and for realizing I'm pretty much a complete newbie at this classic car stuff.

DadsCar.jpg

Edited by rrankman (see edit history)

That you for the responses. It didn't occur to me to mention that it's a street rod and not stock, but of course that makes a huge difference.

From the notes that Dad left here are the changes:

Engine: 1962 Chevy 283

Trans: 1962 Chevy Powerglide

Rear End: 1966 Ford Mustang V8 Complete

Rear Breaks: 1969 Ford Mustang

It also has power steering.

The gas gauge no longer works and before Dad passed he mentioned that he thought it was the float. He also said that he had already sealed the tank once, so if the tank was removed to look at the gauge issues it would probably be a good idea to finally replace it. 

If is has been sitting the last 10-15 years with old gas in it you should take it down and have it cleaned and maybe resealed again. Then you can check the workings of the sending unit with a meter. If the float is bad try Fusick olds for parts.