Fox W.

Minor issues after engine work

It's quite a nice gauge.  In any case, it holds about 40psi with the pump-prime connected, and about 37psi with the engine running, but all the pressure quickly drains right out to the tank (I believe) when the pump is off.  The pressure increases a few psi with the regulators vacuum line disconnected, so I believe the FPR is working fine.   It still feels hard to believe this was just a coincidence after I did all that work, but I suppose it may just be.. especially since the hard starting issue didn't happen the first few times I used it after..  but it did happen after I replaced the fuel filter. (which is not leaking.)    So I guess next I need to drop the fuel tank.  I wish it were possible to get a whole new assembly because I figure I'll have some rust on the lines. 

IMG_20180531_2225132.jpg

Was there any gas in the regulator vacuum line ? Your pressures sound low and the quick drop off says there is a leak somewhere. If hard starting and stumbles a bit that could indicate a leaky injector.

Another reader suggested a sender assembly  from eBay.

I got the same email and I don't know if that one would work as I never had to deal with a fuel pump/sender issue. Maybe Barney could chime in and let us know...

No gas was in the vacuum line for the regulator.     If it's a leaky injector, where would it leak from? The bottom in to the plenum?  These injectors were totally perfect before removal, and were removed all together (I never removed them from the fuel rail) gently. They are new as of 2012, so that would be another new coincidence. I thought we established  a bad pulsator dampener or  a fuel-pump check valve was most likely based on my symptoms?    It does hard start, but that's because there is no prime-pressure, I wouldn't say it really stumbles at all, just starts as if there isn't enough fuel for the first 3 seconds of cranking and then starts suddenly and normally.  I will try to keep the fuel rail connected to the lines at the same time as all 6 injectors are out of the plenum, and I can then run the pump and inspect for leaks.