Odd tool

old car fan

Mike 6024 was close with the shoe gauge but it is actually an old dental tool.

It clamps around your foot and when the pain in your mouth gets too bad,

a couple cranks on the nuts and the mouth pain is gone. 

Extremely rare and quite valuable if in working condition.

Check it out and let us know.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I think this is used to drill a hole in a pipe. the chain goes under and is tightened The pyramid goes into a brace chuck and the bit comes out the bottom.

That makes sense.  The tool belonged to my grandfather, who was an oil well driller.  If anyone would have a reason to drill holes in pipes, it would have been him.  Mystery solved.

I am slammed at work today, but I have some old Kent Moore catalogs in the attic somewhere. Most times I can ID Kent Moore tools by the number in them. I'll try early next week, after our swap meet is over this weekend. 

8 hours ago, Roger Frazee said:

The tool belonged to my grandfather, who was an oil well driller. 

they didn't usually muck around with small pipes. Their gear was usually large and heavy. The drill string screws together. This looks too light for that sort of work, but then we have no scale...

Is there a cutting end below the screw thread, or a way to hold a drill bit?

This web site gives a little history of the company:

http://www.toolarchives.com/node/4388

The Kent-Moore symbol as used on this tool was first used in October 1922 and was trademarked in 5 Nov 1929. The Flat-Rate name and typeface was first used 4/1/1924 and trademarked 10 Mar 1925. So which of the tools listed is the one shown above?

image.png.a7ac7d59969fbcadbe6956ff8254b678.png  image.png.3b0762bc8693f597bca7da5d21a37778.png

I think @Lahti35 got it: it is for holding (pressing) a steering wheel when (re-)gluing the finger joints in the wood. If you turn all the wood blocks around they all have a groove across the face to hold the wheel rim. One could also press the wood (back) onto the metal wheel crossings.

71275495.pdf

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

On 5/23/2018 at 12:47 AM, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I think this is used to drill a hole in a pipe. the chain goes under and is tightened The pyramid goes into a brace chuck and the bit comes out the bottom.

Exactly my thought when I saw the picture.  Obviously used for large diameter pipe.