Sign in to follow this  
alsancle

53-56 Caribbean

1 hour ago, Andrew S Harris said:

Have you seen the 53 Caribbean for sale via Hemings in Florida -apparently a hurricane damaged car looks like the building collapsed on it plus some water damage

That car is rough if you look close.  In a few more years it will be like the Eldorado he has for sale. The dash has big rust holes in the ends from recent exposure.  About the last place I would want to buy a convertible stored outside with no top for over 10 years with the other damage it has is Florida.  I can only imagine that once you scoop out whatever is left of the floors and interior hopefully the frame and maybe a support or two are good underneath.  Shame someone didn't put that or the Eldorado inside after the building collapse or sell them in a more timely manner.  

Actually they are both a mess,  but I see alot of parts on this one to fix yours, that would cost astronomical sums of money to restore your pieces. Complete may be good,  but when a bunch of stuff is just patterns,  it doesn't always mean alot.  Can you imagine dropping the pot metal off your car off at a plater and telling them to make it look new?  I'm sure there is some guy that would do it and he works by the hour even if he just uses your part as a template you will have one piece back at a time at a mind boggling cost, because I'm sure he gets more than 5.00 an hour. 

I think 100 percent complete is really beneficial when the car is a really obscure one that no parts are available for or in some cases even reference as to how the parts are assembled.

Both of these Caribbeans remind me of a project wooden boat with a rotten hull.  Exciting to buy and brag about owning but glad when the day comes you can finally cut the project and unending check writing loose. 

I will complement you on one thing though.  Seems you have taken very good care of the other Packard you have for sale.  That is a very nice car. 

Thanks for a complement Auburnseeker, I think. You see? Not all of my cars were left outside. Some are still very well preserved like this 54 Patrician. I assume you are into Auburns? If you are, I better not show you a photo of my 35 851Auburn Supercharged Dual Ratio Cabriolet. My uncle picked it up in the early 1950s for a few hundred dollars and it never made it into storage. It's still out in the back woods under tarps. You can maybe scoop it up with a shovel at this point. If it makes you feel better, the other Auburn I have, a 35 convertible phaeton is inside and still beautiful. 😊

I've made it a point,  to only save cars I can actually save.  With proper storage for the long run,  or if it was to keep them from getting crushed,  moved along in a short manner so they don't deteriorate. <My sweet spots with auburn would be 31-33.  But to let one just languish until it becomes garbage,  when another guy could have appreciated it and atleast stored it well if not restored it is just being a hoarder.   Even years ago when they could be had cheap,  someone would have snatched an open Auburn up. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Even years ago when they could be had cheap,  someone would have snatched an open Auburn up. 

Yes and someone obviously did snatch it up years ago cheap, we did.😁   As for the hoarder comment, go complain about that to my 90 year old uncles who were 4 or 5 generations before me. I'm only 40. I am trying to sell off many of the cars so they can be saved and enjoyed by the next generation of car lovers. This is a good thing I'm doing here. I could have just flattened the cars with my tractor and scrap the metal if you would prefer? That was a joke. Anyway, I must have stated this 1000 times and yet, I'm being picked at and called a hoarder. You should be thanking guys like my uncles over and over for having the amazing insight to save as many special old cars as possible. Again, when you are bombarded with cars, not 10 or 20 but hundreds, it's very tough to keep after all of them. So don't pick, be glad the cars even survive today. Over the last few years, a number of special cars that left my yard have already been totally restored to AACA-CCCA-HCCA show winners. The fact that they are now being shown and enjoyed is wonderful. Had an open body Stutz DV-32 that was left in the woods for over 60 years, even the Stutz King, Alex Miller tried to pry the car away from us for years without luck and when it came time to sell it, people who knew about the car were in line for a chance even though I had to scoop parts of it up with a shovel. The car is now a show winner which will be seen by future generations of car fans and you can thank us for saving the car from scrap 70 years ago. What a joy it is to know the car was saved. Enough said about my "hoarder junkyard" 🙄

Well I still won't thank your uncle. You can read him the riot act for me.  The only thing they saved was them from being crushed but I wonder how many would have been actually "saved" by collectors if they hadn't been snatched up and hoarded by your uncle.  I know my Dad back in the 60's would have loved to have had one of these cars I'm sure your uncle got near free or on the really cheap and would have atleast kept it inside as he always managed to have some garage space he could borrow or of his own to properly store one and work on a little when he could.  So there were lots of other guys like my Dad that I'm sure got beat out by your uncle who was Hoarding them.  Ok I don't want a guy to save cars any more,  I want him to properly preserve them.  

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Well I still won't thank your uncle. You can read him the riot act for me.  The only thing they saved was them from being crushed but I wonder how many would have been actually "saved" by collectors if they hadn't been snatched up and hoarded by your uncle.  I know my Dad back in the 60's would have loved to have had one of these cars I'm sure your uncle got near free or on the really cheap and would have atleast kept it inside as he always managed to have some garage space he could borrow or of his own to properly store one and work on a little when he could.  So there were lots of other guys like my Dad that I'm sure got beat out by your uncle who was Hoarding them.  Ok I don't want a guy to save cars any more,  I want him to properly preserve them.  

Oh I get it now. Once in a long while, we deal with guys like yourself but it goes nowhere. Let me get this right, you are mad because my uncle was smart enough to save many cars from being scrapped that your dad could have bought 70+ year ago? Does that make sense? It's likely that your views are yours alone. At least 80% of the cars did make into the storage and are still in good condition, however, you are still mad over the other 20% that had to stay outside under cover? Well, I can't help you with that. You still just don't get it do you? By the way, he used his hard earned money to buy the cars so he did not get them for free. To pay a few hundred dollars for a car during the WW2 era was alot of money. That was several weeks worth of a paycheck. He offered people more than they were going to scrap a car for simply because his mission was to save as many classics from the scrap drives and yes, that is impressive and something for future collectors to be very thankful for! Sorry you feel that way. You honestly do not sound like a true car lover from your comments so I won't try and explain the situation to you anymore. This is like talking to a wall. Ok thanks anyways for your interesting comments....

But if he left them outside under a tarp and they disintegrated into the ground.  He DID NOT save them.  If he was pulling them out of the scrap heap with a crane right before they were headed into the crusher then he saved them.,  If he bought them off someone long before they hit the scrap yard then neglected them to the point of now being truly a pile of scrap iron Oxide He did NOT save them.  What I'm saying is there were lots of other guys not even just my father but other car guys out there that I'm sure would have ponied up the money to buy some of these.  It's not like they were dragged out in the middle of the street so that everyone had a chance to see and buy them I'm sure. 

Oh, I told myself I was not going to reply again but one more time because I'm sure somewhere inside you, there must be a reasonably nice understanding guy right? OK, we managed to stuff 80% of the cars into the building. When we ran out of room, we built metal sheds to hold some more cars, when they were filled, the remaining 20% had to stay outside until we made additional inside storage but that was just not possible. The cars outside were all jacked up and parked on fresh stone, not dirt, then coated with cosmoline plus water and gas were drained and removed. Oil was overfilled to form a pickle effect so engines would not lock up. We did the best we could and put alot of time and effort in keeping the outdoor cars from turning into crap. This was not a hoarder type junkyard. Just a section way out back was for the hobby. The rest of the grounds were kept nice and maintained. As for pulling most of the cars out of the crusher? Yes, that is what happened for the most part. He would spend most Saturdays just parked in front of the local wrecking yards, watching to see what was being towed in. Some cars drove in under their own power. If a guy was being offered 50 dollars for a car, he would offer 100 dollars and take the car home. Does that sound like a selfish hoarder? An extra 50 or 100 dollars was alot of money then. He gave people more money then they were offered for scrap. We offered and sold or traded cars with many other car guys over the years. He did save them from scrap. Yes, he did "Save them"

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)

So, he's to be commended for LITERALLY saving the cars from the crusher!  Yes, it would have been nice for all the cars to have been put in an insulated, heated and cooled, building, but that didn't happen.  I don't see any reason to beat up RMC about it, wasn't his fault, and at least cars are there that wouldn't have been otherwise, as he states.

I'm sure a lot of people thought that he had a few screws loose, trying to save cars in the early days.  Myself, in the 1960's I was that "crazy kid with the old cars", interesting how that changed to the "wise collector of valuable old cars".....

Well if RMC is still trying to save them,  refusing to price them at prices any one will pay so they continue to rot into the ground is not saving them still.   25G for the Caribbean??????  I'll take the Incorrect runner that looks wonderful for 50G even if I have to Mortgage the house to do it if I was in the Market. 

Yes your Uncle's Packard is really nice.  It's a 4 door 50's Packard.  They aren't big dollar cars.  I could be wrong but not many buyers lining up to pay 20G for one. An auction tells you one thing.  What it's worth on the open market. 

I doubt everyone was pulled from the jaws of the crusher and I would still highly doubt he was drastically overpaying for anything and to the volume of cars he seems to have.

I was the car crazy kid as well and mowed neighbors lawns and shoveled their walks,  changed light bulbs etc.  to use their garage space to properly store my cars.   Any that lost their space got sold as I didn't want to watch them deteriorate to a pile of crap.