Missouri2758

Identify car from picture

It looks staged to me. The man and woman appear to be up on their elbows, the woman looking to the right (her left) and the man looking back under the car.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed the serrated edges of the body where top was.? Also notice the area with the |__|--|__|--|__|--|__.

Looks like the picture and not the metal was cut.

Flattened tail pipe.?

Scratches on top of the left rear tail fin.?

Tires do not match front to back. It was not new. Was a driven vehicle.

I think the right front of the car was torn off by the looks of the left front damage.

My 2 cents.

Bill H

hi

This is all very exciting

Is there a way of researching the number plate. here in the uk you can request documents applying to your classic car. It lists previous owners and things like that

Here's how the photograph was supposedly found:

United Press International (UPI) photograph that served as the source image for the Five Deaths paintings Archives of the Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh

The source for 5 Deaths was an 8 by 10 inch glossy black-and-white photograph distributed by United Press International, and discovered by Warhol's assistant Gerard Malanga amongst piles of news agency photos in a bookstore on 7th Avenue and 23rd Street. Despite the horror of the scene before him, the photojournalist has intuitively cropped the image through the view finder to engender narrative and provide an aesthetically satisfying picture according to compositional convention. 

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2008/contemporary-art-evening-auction-l08022/lot.26.html

Well....one other thing that we see is that the car was a two-door post model.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Gregory said:

Does anyone see the Policeman's hand on the left side of the car ... ?

Yes, policeman is kneeling and checking for a pulse on the woman's arm, and also that is the four fingers dangling.

"; and the ominous hand drooping behind the car's rear wing at the left of the image."

But maybe it was a Los Angeles car crash according to this source, even though the license plate says MO.

The appropriated photograph depicts a Los Angeles car accident, the overturned car weighing down upon five victims, two of whom appear to still be alive despite the painting’s title alluding otherwise. 

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

It looks staged to me. The man and woman appear to be up on their elbows, the woman looking to the right (her left) and the man looking back under the car.

If this is a staged scene, and I think it might be as well, it would certainly explain the painted tire markings.

Here's another weird fatality accident photo from the last page of a car magazine from the '50s. (I don't remember which one.) The photo speaks for itself and is meant to remind their readers not to race, drink and drive, etc. I don't think it's staged but it is pretty hard to believe that the driver could have ended up where he did....

2-6 029.jpg

I've seen them marked at race tracks as well.

They used do it at the drags. They'd film the launch then watch it back in slo-mo time to see how much slippage or tires spin they had. It was easy to read with a wide paint mark on the tire, similar the marks on the OP's Ford.

Staged? Maybe, as one of the victims seem to be looking at the camera.

The cop behind the car is obviously stooping down with one elbow on his knee (hand showing) and checking pulse of what looks to be the girls wrist.

She has a coat for her head in place and seems to be noting the camera.

However she has the look of nobody home in here eyes.

And who would climb into that car with that fuel spilling out of the fill?

The two climbing out confuses me as they do look staged being beside each other, but they have a look of bewilderment on their faces. They also look to be crawling over what may be the windshield rubber but no glass around. Also no glass from the rear window.

Still a mystery I guess.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:45 PM, JACK M said:

Staged? Maybe, as one of the victims seem to be looking at the camera.

The cop behind the car is obviously stooping down with one elbow on his knee (hand showing) and checking pulse of what looks to be the girls wrist.

She has a coat for her head in place and seems to be noting the camera.

However she has the look of nobody home in here eyes.

And who would climb into that car with that fuel spilling out of the fill?

The two climbing out confuses me as they do look staged being beside each other, but they have a look of bewilderment on their faces. They also look to be crawling over what may be the windshield rubber but no glass around. Also no glass from the rear window.

Still a mystery I guess.

If you look just above the head of the girl, it appears to be someone else next to her on the left.  It looks like a male sitting upright (upside down if in the car if it were upright) and he is a bit squashed by the car. I believe it’s his arm that the police officer is checking the pulse. 

It looks pretty real, but I doubt there were 5 fatalities unless they all died at the hospital.