Saw this nice 1968 Camaro again....

keiser31

Great car keiser. 350 4 speed too.

The poverty caps leave me flat though. They show up quite often on the Mopars from this era as well. I understand the "out of the box look" for originality but on these performance cars GM, Chrysler & Ford knew the first thing buyers were doing in those days was tossing the factory wheels and buying a set of mags, so just install the cheapest, utilitarian wheels possible. And they look exactly like they were intended to.....cheap.

16 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Great car keiser. 350 4 speed too.

The poverty caps leave me flat though. They show up quite often on the Mopars from this era as well. I understand the "out of the box look" for originality but on these performance cars GM, Chrysler & Ford knew the first thing buyers were doing in those days was tossing the factory wheels and buying a set of mags, so just install the cheapest, utilitarian wheels possible. And they look exactly like they were intended to.....cheap.

Some guys put them on back in the day to make the car look like a Grandma's car or "sleeper". Trying to fool others for racing.

4 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Some guys put them on back in the day to make the car look like a Grandma's car or "sleeper". Trying to fool others for racing.

I lost enough races back then, they never fooled me. :lol:

I have to agree with you mcdarrunt, those are pretty bad looking wheels for that car. Factory rallys usually look pretty sharp or, if you want a period correct mag look, you still can't beat a set of Cragar SS wheels or even the early American brand magnesium 5 spokes. Those factory radiused rear wheel wells were just designed to fit a fat tire back there.

Camaro guys tend to like those "poverty" caps and "steelie" wheels because so many of the very rare, very powerful Camaro muscle cars came from the factory with those wheels installed. I'm referring to COPO 9560 and 9561 factory 427 Camaros, of course. To serious Camaro fans, those wheels say "old school factory racer," or etc. 

I always liked 1968 Camaros, including this one. Interestingly the builder chose to use a 1967 steering wheel, and did not elect to use a factory "woodgrain" wheel, which was a factory option, very popular today. It's also unusual to see an SS Camaro with out style trim all over the body. Most SS models I have seen did indeed have the extra chrome. 

This style of nose stripe is normally found on 1967 Camaro's and early 1968 models. At some point, many 1968 SS Camaro's with nose stripes got "whiskers" which passed down the front fender between the "Camaro" script and the "SS" script, and ended before exiting the door panel. 

Nice car; obviously built to suit the taste of the owner...as it should be. 

Camaro 68 Rally Green SS 001.jpg

56 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Who parks a car like that in a grocery store parking lot??! ?

I do. My wife does. We drive our old cars everywhere. They're cars. That's what they do. For most of last summer, my '41 Cadillac 60S was my daily driver--I bet I put 6000 miles on it between March and when it sold in October. In this Camaro's case, it looks like the guy parked far enough away that nobody was going to mess with it. Despite our biggest fears and horror stories about mischief, the public tends to leave old cars alone when they're out and about. Nobody's breaking in or keying the paint or anything like that. I park the giant Limited in parking lots at the movie theater and restaurants and I find other people self-protect the car. Even when it gets crowded after I've arrived and the parking lot fills up, the spots next to the old cars are often vacant because people are afraid to park there. It's really not so bad--using old cars as real cars is awesome! It's what we all should be doing to show people that you don't need a small block Chevy in your car to make it reliable or drive it every day.

The only real downside is when my wife gets confronted by lunatics who want to talk, and they get especially talkative once they see that she's a woman (a woman in an old Mustang seems to really turn old guys on). She had some guy lurking by her '66 Mustang outside the grocery store for like 20 minutes and she was afraid to approach her car because of how he seemed to just be waiting. When he finally left and she could get in the car, he found her, cut across three lanes of traffic to turn the same direction she did, and followed her for a while. She was frightened enough to turn into a gas station so she wouldn't be alone or on the road with him. He just wanted to talk about the Mustang he used to own ("Mine was exactly the same except it was yellow and a hardtop and a 1979 model"), which is what most people want to do, but he took it way too far by getting stalky. That nearly was a "call the cops" situation.

But the car was never in danger.

9 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

@keiser31, I am in your town nearly every weekday to bring my dog to daycare, (don’t laugh), and I see lots of great cars. Somehow, the only car I’ve been able to catch on camera is this one in Medford though. ?‍♀️

I guess I need some lessons from you. 

A455041D-5CE1-4FFB-87E0-5C7D44082B6D.jpeg

Oh yeah....THAT guy. I caught him, too....driving right by my Mother-in-law's place next door....

Picture 10007.jpg

• Like 1

Keiser’s town is small enough to get away with taking the old car everywhere. I’m just north of Seattle and drive my old car to work maybe once a month in summer, there’s too much congestion to deal with to do that more often. I’m envious of that Mayberry thing. That’s a big part of my old car experience, wanting to turn the clock back to a simpler time.

Edited by Steve9
More (see edit history)
  • Like 1