Sign in to follow this  
Ovalrace25

Borg Warner DG250 Locking up

This automatic transmission was used in a few cars in the early 50's. The one in this car worked great three years ago when the car was put away. NOW, getting the car out and going, the transmission LOCKS up and stalls the engine as soon as you select  "D"   --  If I quickly pull it down to  "L" I can drive the car up to 15+, then shift up to  "D" and go fine UNTIL I drop speed back down to where it downshifts....   Then it tries to lock--- BAN BANG BANG----   I have to put it into  "N" really fast so it stops the lock-up attempt.

I hope someone out there has WORKED on these or knows what this can be???? 

With any auto trans that has stood for any length of time I recommend a thorough fluid change, including the converter and cooler, and change filter if fitted. This can do wonders for every aspect of the box. My 35 year old 3 speed MB box (Porsche 928) has only one vice - if left for more than a couple of weeks, its slow to take up in reverse; there are couple of leaks of 1 drop a week coming off the cooling hose fittings.

jp 26 Rover 9

I agree, change the fluid. I say use modern ATF of the Dexron lineage, since literature of the time lists Type A as the fluid to use, which morphed into Dexron. There are some who say use type F. Probably makes no difference at the moment. 

Changed fluid after checking pressures. Checked detentes to be sure linkage was moving into correct positions. Pulled valve body to check if any springs of valves were stuck.

Did air pressure test--  Seemed to be OK..   This one is in a Jaguar.  Thanks 39_Buick I am checking out the links you provided.