Help setting price on 57, 59 Skyliner and 79 Ranchero GT

RobertB

I’m helping an elderly gentleman that recently suffered a stoke sell some items. He has a 59 Skyliner, 57 Skyliner (frame only basically), also a 79 Ranchero GT. What is a price I can list these at? Also what is the best avenue to sell? Ebay, Facebook? Any help would greatly be appreciated on price estimates. He also has tons of spare parts to include.

I don’t think the 59 is in running condition.

The Ranchero was stored in running condition.

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6592.jpg

IMG_6595.jpg

IMG_6620.jpg

IMG_6621.jpg

Hard to p[ut a real value on them without seeing them in person.  The 59 is by far the most valuable in the current state they are in.  The 57 I would guess 500 to 1000 more as a parts car if he has any of the parts for it or good paperwork on it.  Without knowing how rusty the ranchero is,  I would guess if not rusty 1500 to 2500 if it looks kind of like it could be cleaned up and used without having to completely restore it.  

It depends on where you are located as well. 

Phone number on the van indicates it may be Georgia.  I'm not sure how the market is there in the Northeast I would stick by the values I guessed at. 

If the 59 is complete and the engine  can be shown to run with really no rust,  looks to have had new paint. Still a real hard guess but being apart,  maybe 7500 - 10,000 Really will depend on how much work it's going to require to get it finished up.  Looks about 1/3 to 1/2 way there but not a total frame off restoration.  Done it's probably worth if you just finished it up 25 to 30 G tops.  Total guesses here though as I'm not familiar with the market.  I do think 59 is the least desirable of the retractable years.  A full body off restoration of everything I still think only brings in the 40 to 45 range. though you would spend alot more than that building one.  Some photos under the hood,  and underneath would really help.  

Ebay is a little more work and a lot more questions to answer,  a little tough with a car that is so apart as transporting the parts becomes a bit of a problem,  compared to a complete car.  You will need to answer alot of questions and post alot more detailed photos and description.  Craigslist is a more local audience and maybe a slightly easier sale.  if it were a complete together car I would definitely try ebay.  

I think unless someone really wants to spend some time on the ranchero craigslist might be a better audience.   I still doubt without it being on the road it would bring more than 3500 on a really good day. I don't believe they had any special models that made them more valuable or desirable than run of the mill models. 

Ebay is a good route to establish the value,  if you think you can come up with a low enough price to get the buyer's excited when they hit the reserve.   Bidding against a really high reserve usually loses buyer's interest. 

I would say maybe craigslist on the 57 as well,   It looks pretty rough. 

Get us some more photos and details.  Maybe we can hone in on a more accurate price. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Hard to p[ut a real value on them without seeing them in person.  The 59 is by far the most valuable in the current state they are in.  The 57 I would guess 500 to 1000 more as a parts car if he has any of the parts for it or good paperwork on it.  Without knowing how rusty the ranchero is,  I would guess if not rusty 1500 to 2500 if it looks kind of like it could be cleaned up and used without having to completely restore it.  

It depends on where you are located as well. 

Phone number on the van indicates it may be Georgia.  I'm not sure how the market is there in the Northeast I would stick by the values I guessed at. 

If the 59 is complete and the engine  can be shown to run with really no rust,  looks to have had new paint. Still a real hard guess but being apart,  maybe 7500 - 10,000 Really will depend on how much work it's going to require to get it finished up.  Looks about 1/3 to 1/2 way there but not a total frame off restoration.  Done it's probably worth if you just finished it up 25 to 30 G tops.  Total guesses here though as I'm not familiar with the market.  I do think 59 is the least desirable of the retractable years.  A full body off restoration of everything I still think only brings in the 40 to 45 range. though you would spend alot more than that building one.  Some photos under the hood,  and underneath would really help.  

Ebay is a little more work and a lot more questions to answer,  a little tough with a car that is so apart as transporting the parts becomes a bit of a problem,  compared to a complete car.  You will need to answer alot of questions and post alot more detailed photos and description.  Craigslist is a more local audience and maybe a slightly easier sale.  if it were a complete together car I would definitely try ebay.  

I think unless someone really wants to spend some time on the ranchero craigslist might be a better audience.   I still doubt without it being on the road it would bring more than 3500 on a really good day. I don't believe they had any special models that made them more valuable or desirable than run of the mill models. 

Ebay is a good route to establish the value,  if you think you can come up with a low enough price to get the buyer's excited when they hit the reserve.   Bidding against a really high reserve usually loses buyer's interest. 

I would say maybe craigslist on the 57 as well,   It looks pretty rough. 

Get us some more photos and details.  Maybe we can hone in on a more accurate price. 

Thank you for the detailed response Auburnseeker!  Here are a couple engine pics.  IT will be hard for me to answer questions about the car.  The mans memory isnt that great about the conditions of the cars.  Just trying to help out where I can.

IMG_6600.JPG

IMG_6627.JPG

Looks like the Ranchero had fuel problems when put away so it will probably take a bit to get it running. I would stick by my 1500 to 2500 price.  

The 59 Doesn't look like it was concourse work so I would stick by that number on that as well.  You could market it at 12500 if you have all the parts and the brightwork is good as is the body,  and expect to get offers a little lower.  Probably in the range I mentioned.  Again it's hard to put a number on project cars and the number of people looking to jump into someone elses project is getting smaller.  

Does the owner have good paperwork on the cars ready to transfer to the next owner?  That will often have a big affect on their ability to be easy or hard to sell. 

• Like 1