May be a daft question #2 - but only if you know the answer..

moran75

Hi all

I've attached a pic of my horn relay set up , from a 65 Riv - i need to replace the relay and common sense suggests that it can just be pulled out of the - for want of a better word - black triangular bracket at the bottom..

However i don't want to force anything that shouldn't be forced - best to check if its more complicated than that..

Thanks in advance

Kev

IMG_6919.JPG.8c0c36dead88552bb21fbbd4cf86a1e1.JPG

22 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

My original 65 horn relay doesn't look like that.......must be some aftermarket piece.....here's my original......

DSCN0059.JPG

Many thanks ...can you send a close up of the relay...cheers

kev

Nope. don't have a better pic. On the originals, the plastic base and stud and relay are all one part, they come off together and do not separate.

Yours is aftermarket but I suspect you will find that it is all one piece as well. To remove it, remove the nut on the stud and take off all the wires, starter cable

and the positive cable(do this after disconnecting the positive cable from the battery), Unplug the two wire plug from the relay, remove the bolts

holding the assembly to the inner fender then remove it.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Psssst. Take off the negative cable first. Here's a picture of the horn relay on my 64. You can look at a wiring diagram to figure out which wire goes to what.  If you don't have one, I'd suggest you go to eBay and buy 9ne of these laminated wiri g diagrams. They're sure a lot easier to read than the one in the chassis manual.

IMG_20180518_185541962.jpg.d17958b9a1fab9246ecfb3621da3a90f.jpg

IMG_20180518_192122003.jpg.8a8c68ca1f0228fd8dec0724f0b0c11b.jpg

IMG_20180518_192223343.jpg.ba71e28aa471b42e164a9dea8af65e0d.jpg

If this helps, here are some pictures of the horn relay on my 63 with wires attached. I have added 4 note horns to my car so the wiring looks a little different. The brown wire was there originally as in this picture. Because I added the 4 note horns the wiring changed slightly. Ignore the green/white stripe wire and the black/white stripe wire. What would be plugged in that spot if you have only the stock horns would be the blue wire which came from the the horns. You can see the blue wire in the first picture. The wire colors may be different for 1963 as opposed to a 65, I don't know. The positive and starter cables are the same as in Ed's picture. I just have them under a rubber cover.

Bill

IMG_3995.jpg2.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg2.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg2.jpg

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Kevin`s horn relay/junction block are ORIGINAL and CORRECT for the `65 models. The other relays pictured in this thread are AFTERMARKET for the `65 models.

Tom Mooney

Will the unit need to.be replaced in its entirety or can the top section be prised off and replaced?

cheers

kev

4 hours ago, moran75 said:

Will the unit need to.be replaced in its entirety or can the top section be prised off and replaced?

cheers

kev

It is made as a unit and will have to be replaced entirely. "Possibly" take it apart, remove the top of the relay itself, and refurbish it, but, it is made as a single unit.

My '65 GS has one just like you pictured in post #1, and here is a link to a post that shows others that have that one too ...

Horn relay type 65 Riv

20 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Kevin`s horn relay/junction block are ORIGINAL and CORRECT for the `65 models. The other relays pictured in this thread are AFTERMARKET for the `65 models.

Tom Mooney

Tom, my horn relay says Delco Remy right on it , in the type of script Delco hasn't used since the 60's.........must have been more

than one vendor for these relays.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

On 5/19/2018 at 12:25 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Tom Mooney

Mine appears to be original too

9FD49F17-332B-4E4F-8288-F8CF43CA8050.jpeg