Motorized Trailer Dolly

Due to the tight area that I must maneuver my 24 ft enclosed trailer in and out of I am researching motorized dollies. 

The trailer is a 24 foot dual axle ball hitch trailer that weights 3200 pounds empty.  

The storage area surface is asphalt with little to no slope.

Does anyone have experience or comments on the various powered units on the market?

I am not looking for the cheapest unit but am concerned about safety and easy of connection and disconnection.

I would only move the trailer 3 to 4 times a year and would have to move it 20 to 30 feet before hooking up to the truck.

Checking on line I have seen the following units:

Trailer Valet Pro  which is powered with a 60V drill motor

Parkit 360 Force 5K which is power with a 12v battery.  I would be able to use my 12 v winch battery mounted in the trailer.

Trax600 which is powered with 36 volts (3 12v batteries)

Power Caster PC2 which is 120V AC powered not batteries  ( the 120 VAC would work since I am close to an outlet and not moving very far)

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dan

I know this is not what you are asking, and may not be useful information, but I use my garden tractor to move trailers in tight spaces.  You said it was flat, so a good quality garden tractor can easily move that around.  For all I know you don't even have one, just an idea though.

Dan, 

You might also look into an ATV with a hitch to move your trailer. Depending on where you live you might be able to make this ATV dual purpose by adding a plow blade to it to move snow in the winter or other items to help with yard work or other chores around the house.

Charlie

A few years ago (10 or more) I saw a homemade trailer mover at Carlisle that used a 110v motor, I don't remember the details and if I took a picture I can't find it. They had it setup with a mount for a Honda generator to power the whole thing. Was a pretty clever setup and gave them a mobile Honda generator they could drive around.

You might try a Power Pusher, available in many sizes, could easily handle a 24 ft trailer.  I used a larger one  to pull and push a 40,000 lb piece of machinery on steel rails.  I don't know the cost of a small one.  See http://www.powerpusher.com and their Trailer Mover models.

power-pusher-trailer-mover-281x300[1].png

chamber with pusher 3.jpg

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

Put a receiver hitch on the front of your vehicle so it extends out far enough to manuever.

That should do the trick.

Jim

I did this with my truck and it is very handy when you are mediocre at back trailers. I also have a hitch on the front of my 8N Ford that I use more just because it has more maneuverability and visibility, but not always home when I need to back into a tight spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I was able to back into the location without as much trouble as I thought I would have.  I did mount a front hitch just in case.  I am also going to mount a back up camera on the trailer for a better view and to safe arguing with the wife!!.

Dan

4 hours ago, 693 said:

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I was able to back into the location without as much trouble as I thought I would have.  I did mount a front hitch just in case.  I am also going to mount a back up camera on the trailer for a better view and to safe arguing with the wife!!.

Dan

One of the best upgrades I made to my trailer was the wireless camera I purchased and installed. The camera works well even in low light conditions (ie nighttime) and the monitor in my truck is 7 inches which is large enough for me. It also supports more than 1 camera. If you do get a wireless camera system be careful since some units being sold today are junk. When it comes to these systems you get what you pay for.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/18/2018 at 12:58 PM, 693 said:

Due to the tight area that I must maneuver my 24 ft enclosed trailer in and out of I am researching motorized dollies. 

The trailer is a 24 foot dual axle ball hitch trailer that weights 3200 pounds empty.  

The storage area surface is asphalt with little to no slope.

Does anyone have experience or comments on the various powered units on the market?

I am not looking for the cheapest unit but am concerned about safety and easy of connection and disconnection.

I would only move the trailer 3 to 4 times a year and would have to move it 20 to 30 feet before hooking up to the truck.

Checking on line I have seen the following units:

Trailer Valet Pro  which is powered with a 60V drill motor

Parkit 360 Force 5K which is power with a 12v battery.  I would be able to use my 12 v winch battery mounted in the trailer.

Trax600 which is powered with 36 volts (3 12v batteries)

Power Caster PC2 which is 120V AC powered not batteries  ( the 120 VAC would work since I am close to an outlet and not moving very far)

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dan

Paul, we all missed you on the Sentimental Tour in Mississippi.  You have been a regular.  EDB