Ronnie

Me and My Buick Reatta

1 hour ago, SteveT said:

Road trip from Michigan , to Colorado to see family then up intp Oregon and Washington.

That's quite a challenge. Good luck on the rest of your trip!

• Thanks 1

I took photos of my Reatta at an old wheat thrashing barn and grist mill. The thrashing machine in the barn was cool. It was powered by two horses walking in circles turning that large wooden gear, which turned a shaft going into the building to power a thrashing machine. I like mechanical stuff so I thought you might enjoy seeing the wooden gear. It was so dark in the barn that I couldn't get a good photo of the thrashing machine. The grist mill, located close to the thrashing barn only runs on special occasions now and it wasn't running the day I was there.

Get out and make some memories! Drive those Reattas and post some photos of your adventures.

Click images to view full size.

Norris Dam (15).JPGNorris Dam (16).JPG

Norris Dam (18).JPG Norris Dam (13).JPG

• Like 3

Going to be 115 today here in the desert, the Reatta will have to give way to the SRX for now  :) 

srx.jpg

My screened in porch reads 105F...too hot to go out/drive anywhere this afternoon.  Did get to the gas station very early this morning to fill up the caddy ATS, though.  Was at the ROA Kansas City annual meet all last week (finally sold the '92 Riviera) and am chomping at the bit to get the Reatta out and about.  Friday cruise-in is looking iffy due to thunder storms being predicted...just might it drive in the rain...it won't melt I'm told.

• Like 2

Hey Ship it may be too hot for you but we [my wife and I] are going biking. It's only 87 degrees with 70% plus humidity. We just got what are called "Electric Assist" Bicycles and we are going... [Yes dear]

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Hey Ship it may be too hot for you but we [my wife and I] are going biking. It's only 87 degrees with 70% plus humidity. We just got what are called "Electric Assist" Bicycles and we are going... [Yes dear]

WOW!  You folks are way braver than me!  As I've heard quoted... "it's not the heat that gets you, it's always the humidity".  Be careful out there.  I totally understand the [Yes dear] thing!

4 hours ago, DShip said:

My screened in porch reads 105F...too hot to go out/drive anywhere this afternoon.  Did get to the gas station very early this morning to fill up the caddy ATS, though.  Was at the ROA Kansas City annual meet all last week (finally sold the '92 Riviera) and am chomping at the bit to get the Reatta out and about.  Friday cruise-in is looking iffy due to thunder storms being predicted...just might it drive in the rain...it won't melt I'm told.

Down a Riv, time for a second Reatta? :)

5 minutes ago, NCReatta said:

Down a Riv, time for a second Reatta? :)

Marck...I never say never!  A '91 convertible might be nice.  But, just getting use to having one cruise-in car and enjoying it for now.

I really enjoyed reading all these stories.  I was a member on this forum many years ago and sold my Reatta a long time ago, but I still drop in occasionally.  I remember when the Reatta came out in 1988, I was living in San Francisco and I was fascinated with the Reatta.  The first time I saw one was on Market Street, it was a silver coupe, and it was gorgeous.  I stood there like an idiot staring at it because it was so beautiful, I couldn't believe that Buick made such a nice-looking car.  In 1990 I saw a gorgeous convertible sitting in the showroom of the buick dealer on Geary boulevard, that dealer is long gone, but as I stood there waiting for the bus I salivated while staring through the window at it.  Flash forward to 1998, and I answered a Craigslist ad for a low mileage 1990 red/tan/tan convertible for a decent price and I hopped on it, I test drove it and absolutely loved it, I bought it on the spot.  It was comfortable, quiet, easy to drive, and drove just as good as it looked, I absolutely loved that car, and I got a lot of looks.  I spent two summers driving that lovely car all over the bay area, down the most beautiful highway in the world, 280, all over the hills of San Francisco, with the top down, fog or not, through the presidio, up twin peaks and around diamond heights, through golden gate park, people staring at me everywhere i went.  Those are some fond memories of one of the most memorable cars I ever owned.  Well, I sold it many years ago to return to my beloved Corvette, right now I have a 2017 corvette coupe that is light years ahead of the reatta, but I still have a place in my heart for one of the most beautiful Buicks ever made, and even now I stop and stare whenever I see one, which isn't very often.  Don't ask for my opinion about the Cascada, its styling can't even begin to compare to the Reatta.  I would buy a black Reatta convertible in a heartbeat if I had the space for it.

Welcome back Hawaii! Thanks for sharing your Reatta story. I hope you get another one soon.

More details to come as they progress, but the Facebook group turned up a new 1988 just a couple blocks from my current office. It has less miles than a lot of new cars being sold as demonstrators do. Portfolio, pen, floor mats...it’s all here. Sunroof and 16 way seats. It has a few dings but is overall very nice...no winters, little rain. The original owner of the car also insisted on reducing the price as it has the original tires on it. 

My biggest challenge may be about how much it gets driven. At a BCA National, it would easily qualify as Archival Elite and with a Delco battery would likely be a Senior. 

Congratulations on your new Reatta!  I read about it on facebook. That's a rare find.

• Like 1

I was tracking your '88 Reatta on FB too, congrats! Looks like a real keeper, very nice. Tough call about driving it. I had a guy offer to sell me a 1975 Delta 88 last summer, a convertible. It has 540 miles on it, he owned a dealership and never sold it, never sold it. Just like you, what do you do with a benchmark car with so little miles? A good problem to have for sure, keep us posted!

• Confused 1

Just had my 88 Blue Coupe out yesterday. Also a sunroof car so late production and not many around. Ticked off a few items to fix, AC compressor is rattling a bit but replaced the cassette phone adapter with a Bluetooth module. RF but works far better than the ones of a few years ago.

Still waiting for it to be recognized as a landmark computer car.

bluetooth.jpg

9 minutes ago, padgett said:

Still waiting for it to be recognized as a landmark computer car.

From what I can tell, don't expect that to happen anytime soon. I posted a photo of my dash here in the Buick General Discussion forum and didn't even get a comment on it.  I think your car has to have a dimmer switch in the floorboard to get much attention in that forum. :) 

I think Reatta owners should post in that forum more to bring some attention to the fact that our Buicks are antiques now too.... at least they are here in Tennessee. :)

At 30 it is an Antique in Florida also and a great road car that starts on a touch.

My college car was a roadster with 4 speed OD trans, 4 wheel disk brakes, and a triple carb DOHC 6. And was a 1959. Suspect some don't like those either.

23 hours ago, Ronnie said:

From what I can tell, don't expect that to happen anytime soon. I posted a photo of my dash here in the Buick General Discussion forum and didn't even get a comment on it.  I think your car has to have a dimmer switch in the floorboard to get much attention in that forum. :) 

I think Reatta owners should post in that forum more to bring some attention to the fact that our Buicks are antiques now too.... at least they are here in Tennessee. :)

Ronnie, you may have not gotten any comments on your dash but you did get 4 likes.

It didn't go un-noticed.

As you know Reatta's are still considered a modern car next to Barney's '39.

Cal.

7 hours ago, 91vert said:

Ronnie, you may have not gotten any comments on your dash but you did get 4 likes.

It didn't go un-noticed.

As you know Reatta's are still considered a modern car next to Barney's '39.

Cal.

Yeah, 4 likes is pretty good and you are correct, my post did get noticed. I guess I'm just a little anxious to get our Reattas accepted as being part of the old car family. :)

Why I got a REATTA....I've always loved ''NON-COOKIE CUTTER CARS''

I've owned 100's of cars since I was 14 years old

Many ''COOKIE CUTTER CARS'' & some ''NON-COOKIE CUTTER CARS''

The following is a LIST of SOME the ''NON-COOKIE CUTTER CARS'' that I have owned :

DELOREAN

RAMBLER MARLIN

AMC PACER

INTERNATIONAL SCOUT

1966 OLDS TORONADO

FIAT 850 SPYDER

BMW 1600

1966 MERCEDES

1959 CADILLAC WITH HUGE FINS

1963 PORCHE 356 COUPE

1967 PORCHE 912

VW ''WOODY'' KIT CAR

1969 VETTE

1962 VETTE

And of course a REATTA

I KNOW I HAVE OWNED MORE ''NON-COOKIE CUTTER CARS'' , I'll post them as I remember them...hahaha

• Like 1

Every time I wash my Reatta I remember why I keep it. It may be 30 years old, and isn't perfect, but the old gal still looks really good in red.  :)

SAM_4055.JPG

SAM_4059.JPG

• Like 2

Looks pretty perfect from where I am sitting! Love the color, the the rims and wing, that car just works for me.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Cargirl. I'm glad you like it. :) I spent lots of hours using a polisher Winter before last to get dull paint to shine. It still has defects in the paint when you get up close but from 10 feet away it looks pretty good.