Wood for cars

kings32

I have been doing wood work on a 1916 overland ,  I have a chance to get some ash logs , going to mill them into slabs , don't know what size they will be . Can get  more if someone else wants some.  I am in Maryland.  It may be a few weeks before I get to them.  Kings 32

Quite an undertaking to properly cure ash for a purpose like this. I recently helped a fellow car guy bring home 5-8ft lengths of ash log from a forester, and he arranged to have it re-sawn into 2" planks for curing (but didn't get them "quarter-sawn). We carefully stacked it under cover for air drying and after about a year, I brought a couple of pieces home to further air dry indoors for 6 months to about 6% MC. Although stacked carefully, the planks cupped about 1/2" and twisted somewhat as well, making for a difficult process of getting to anything resembling a straight and true  finished board. So my advice is pay the piper, go to a good hardwood specialty shop and make your best deal on exactly what you need. Just my 2C's worth.

Two suggestions. Get them quarter sawn and if you need ash get it while you can. Here in Eastern PA the ash trees are being killed off by the Emerald ash borer. Nearly every ash tree in my area shows signs of it and will be killed. Ash trees are going the way of the American chestnut and Elm..................Bob

I have a stack I bought when I was doing the wood in my 1930 Oakland . Never had issue with warp or cupping . Finished it two years ago . Did some repair on a 1930 chevy , turn out great owner was very happy . been doing wood work of different kinds for years . yes the Ash are for most part all dead in Maryland and virgina   .. Kings32