Who has CADILLAC wheels with Caddy logos on their Reatta?

ski.dive

Last week I put my shiny chrome 17" Lucerne CXL wheels back on the blue coupe.  I thought about putting the Reatta centers from hubcaps on them to replace the Buick tri-shield but the Lucern's centers are only 1 1/2" in diameter.  What did you use to cut down the larger size Reatta centers, a bench grinder?

IMG_2404.JPG

I found a bench grinder to be too fast and the plastic clogged the wheel up. I used a drill clamped in a vice with a coarse abrasive wheel chucked up in it. Even at slow speed the plastic melted easily but it just popped right off. When I got close to the silver ring I worked it down with a coarse file until it fit the center cap.

SAM_2234.JPG  SAM_2235.JPG

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I found a bench grinder to be too fast and the plastic clogged the wheel up. I used a drill clamped in a vice with a coarse abrasive wheel chucked up in it. Even at slow speed the plastic melted easily but it just popped right off. When I got close to the silver ring I worked it down with a coarse file until it fit the center cap.

SAM_2234.JPG  SAM_2235.JPG

Ronnie...great detail work.  Very impressive.

Stanley what I did was a little different. I used my wife's nail polish in the color Red, White, and Blue on the Tri Shield. The polish comes with a brush, lasts a long time and is easy to touch up. Of course I kept the nail polish, it is now in my shop.

I think it looks great.

Thanks Ship.

One other thing.  Be careful when removing and grinding the emblem from the Reatta center cap. If you scratch the silver on the back of the emblem it will show on the front side. As you can see in the photos the emblem is held in the center cap with a rubber like glue. I got emblem out by sticking a small socket through the hole in the center cap and pressing down on the cap while prying up on the emblem with a small screwdriver. If you pull on the glue slowly it starts stretching and will eventually let go. At least it did for me...  :)

SAM_2244.JPG  SAM_2229.JPG

SAM_2232.JPG

• Thanks 1