Mass. YOM plates and new inspection rules

Gary_Ash

I took my 1965 Studebaker Wagonaire to a Massachusetts inspection station for its required annual check.  It has a Year of Manufacture plate on it.  Published Mass. RMV regulations say that the annual sticker for the license plate need NOT be attached to a YOM plate, as long as it is carried in the car.  The inspection station refused to inspect the car without the sticker attached, claiming the new inspection equipment requires scanning the plate to show the sticker.  I tried to show them the YOM rules, but they said the new inspection rules overrode what RMV had published and that I would need a written waiver from the RMV to get an inspection without the sticker on the plate.  Boy, were they rude!  Left with no alternatives, I gently put the sticker on the plate, got the inspection, then used the heat gun to remove it when I got home.  When I took my 1948 Studebaker truck in this week, I put some new Scotch Wall Safe tape (easy to remove) on the plate first, then applied the sticker - temporarily.

Mass. RMV rules here:  https://www.massrmv.com/Portals/30/docs/20132.pdf

Has anyone else had this experience?  Alternate solutions? Getting hold of someone at the RMV who actually understands the rules for antique and YOM plates is very difficult.  Grrrr!

I sent them an email, waiting for reply.  I called the RMV, got transferred three times, eventually told to speak to someone in the Special Plates section, 857-368-8031.  My call was transferred there but all I got was a voice message saying, "This mailbox is full and  cannot accept new messages."  I've called back three times, same message.  Great service, huh?

• Like 1

How about contacting your local A.A.A.

(American Automobile Association)?  Though

they might not know the rules for antique plates,

they could certainly find them out and get something

in writing.

Those poor motor-vehicle department employees!

They must have very unrewarding careers.  Picture

yourself being energetic and creative, but your

good ideas in every direction are futilely stopped by the

government machinery.  All they can do is to follow the

processes that someone else has set up.  That may be why

some aren't enthusiastic.  Somehow they need to be gently

reminded that they are there to serve and assist the public.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I owned two inspection stations in Mass for twelve years, three if you count the motorcycle inspection station also. I still have my two YOM plates on my cars registered in mass. I place the sticker on the registration. My local station never asks about the sticker, because they see it on the registration ahead of time. Try it. My best, Ed

16 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

I sent them an email, waiting for reply.  I called the RMV, got transferred three times, eventually told to speak to someone in the Special Plates section, 857-368-8031.  My call was transferred there but all I got was a voice message saying, "This mailbox is full and  cannot accept new messages."  I've called back three times, same message.  Great service, huh?

If their voice mailbox is full, obviously, you're not the only one having issues with this.

Craig

As a former resident of Mass I can totally understand your frustration. My fix? Move to GA. Unless you live in a county that touches Atlanta - no inspection. And that inspection is only for emissions. The people at my county registry smile and say please and thank you. I even had one apologize when they admitted making an error. I won’t even start on the tax and cost of living difference.

• Like 1

There is currently a bill in the Mass State house about abolishing the annual inspection for antique automobiles 75 years old and older. Contact your local rep and express your support for this and at least this nonsense will go away on prewar cars.

3 hours ago, Jack Welch said:

There is currently a bill in the Mass State house about abolishing the annual inspection for antique automobiles 75 years old and older. 

That bill is a good idea, and could go even further.

Pennsylvania has no inspection for antique cars, and

their registration is permanent for as long as you own the car.

It's applicable for cars as new as 1993 as long as they

are registered as antiques.

Picture yourself having a good-sized car collection.

Some of those cars might get driven only once or twice a year.

Can you imagine the work involved in taking each one

to a state inspection station every year--just for the privilege

of driving a car once that year?  It would take up a good 

portion of your time.  Such a process could encourage

people NOT to take certain cars out at all, avoiding the trouble.

Yes, the proposed rule change for cars 75 years old or more will be a good start.  However, my 1965, 1963, and 1948 vehicles don't qualify.

The good news is that I got a couple of confirming replies from the Mass. RMV, the Mass. Vehicle Check Program, and from Applus+ Technologies, the supplier of the new test equipment.

Good Morning Mr. Ash,

Thank you for contacting MA Vehicle Check Program.  My apologies to you for your recent experience.

The Inspector should follow the following guidelines.

The following is from the RMV’s Application for an Antique Vehicle Plate:

“ Year of Manufacture plate must be displayed pursuant to Chapter 90, Section 6 of the General Laws but the registration decal for the current registration period need not be attached to the plate. If it is not attached to the plate it must be carried in the antique vehicle at all times and presented at the request of a Police Officer.”

If you have any other questions, please contact us at 1.844.358.0135 or Info@massvehiclecheck2017.com 

Sincerely,

Massachusetts Vehicle Check Program

***********************************************************************************

Here is the info from Applus+ Tech with a cell phone number and a name to contact in the event anyone else encounters this.

Hi Gary

In this case you are correct the decal needs to be with the registration but not adhered to the year-of-manufacture license plate. The Inspector would most likely not know this exception to their plate inspection.

If it helps, please return for an inspection and ask the Inspector to call me

Cell phone 617 549-2831

“ Year of Manufacture plate must be displayed pursuant to Chapter 90, Section 6 of the General Laws but the registration decal for the current registration period need not be attached to the plate. If it is not attached to the plate it must be carried in the antique vehicle at all times and presented at the request of a Police Officer.”

John Morrissey

Massachusetts Vehicle ü Program

Applus+ Technologies Inc.

Office: (508) 452-8520

John.morrissey@applustech.com

12 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

The good news is that I got a couple of confirming replies from the Mass. RMV, the Mass. Vehicle Check Program, and from Applus+ Technologies, the supplier of the new test equipment.

That is basically how Alberta handles their Antique plates.

One can have YOM plates displayed on the vehicle, but the current province-issued Antique plate MUST be with the vehicle at all times, be it in the trunk or under the seat.

Craig

Gary,

You could register your car in the state of Washington, where your family came from. We have no yearly inspection, on any vehicle, antique or not. 

Anyone care to comment on the value of yearly inspections. Is it a matter of structural integrity or just mechanical issues. The concept in foreign to to me. It does seem to be a bit arbitrary, when applied it to antique vehicles. Considering era available equipment, and cars that are seldom driven, and hopefully not abused during the winter months. What do the authorities expect to change from year to year?

Rusted frames, rusty bodies/exhaust system to let carbon monoxide into the passenger compartment, worn brake parts, worn suspension joints, burned out lamps, tires with no tread or damaged spots to make blowouts, etc, etc.

Here you go:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/

Not to strike up controversy, but here in Virginia we say just look at the Maryland cars driving around here to see the value of yearly safety inspections. ?

We do have the "self inspected" rule for vehicles sporting Antique plates. You sign a document stating the car would pass safety inspection to get your permanent plates.