MAF Question

Errol1

I have a 1988 Reatta that was running very rough and stalling. I cleaned the the IAC connector and pins, removed the PCV valve temporarily, and took apart the MAF sensor and cleaned. The car runs like a top now, but I am still showing the E034 (MAF) code even after clearing the codes. Any ideas of what I've missed? Thanks for reading this.

Yes, it was. Also there are no other ECM codes current, or history.

I thought I had it fixed, because I found a hidden wasps mud nest under the air filter in the vent tube. But even after I cleaned it all out, and cleared the codes again, the problem returned.

Thank you for your help.

If  you have a service manual you should go through the diagnostic flow chart to try to pinpoint the problem. Otherwise go to your local pull-a-part and grab a couple off a 3800 of similar vintage. Stick one on and see if the code goes away. There is a possibility of the ECM being bad but my money is on a bad MAF.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

If  you have a service manual you should go through the diagnostic flow chart to try to pinpoint the problem. Otherwise go to your local pull-a-part and grab a couple off a 3800 of similar vintage. Stick one on and see if the code goes away. There is a possibility of the ECM being bad but my money is on a bad MAF.

Thank you. I was going to order a new one, but there is an excellent junkyard on 10 miles from me that I had completely forgotten about. I haven't needed anything in long while.

• Like 1