Diff gear oil - 1965 Riv

moran75

Hi all

I have a leak from my diff..

When i sort it out i'm thinking it makes sense to drain whatever is left and replace? I know the manual doesn't recommend doing so but under the circumstances and because of the age of the car it makes sense..

Anyway any recommendations for modern gear oil to use?

Diff is a 3.23 , non posi.

Thanks

Kev

If it were my car I would definitely  change the diff oil while you are in there, but I would use old fashioned 90 weight gear oil

like what it came with when new. By the way, the ring gear bolts on these cars are known to back off and fall out, destroying

the rear end gears. If you have the differential out of the pumpkin, be sure to check the tightness of these bolts while you are in there, and use loc tite on them when you go back with them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

If it were my car I would definitely  change the diff oil while you are in there, but I would use old fashioned 90 weight gear oil

like what it came with when new. By the way, the ring gear bolts on these cars are known to back off and fall out, destroying

the rear end gears. If you have the differential out of the pumpkin, be sure to check the tightness of these bolts while you are in there, and use loc tite on them when you go back with them.

Good advice   ?

Tom

Kev, last year I made the mistake of just adding some gear oil to what was already in the diff.  I then drove the car about 1400 miles with that new oil coming out of every conceivable place on the rear end. Guess they didn't mix well. Anyhow, ended up pulling the diff and cleaning the old gunk out of it and replacing it with new 85w-140 as I live in one of the hottest places in this country. With a new gasket, it hasn't leaked a drop.

BTW, that center section is very heavy; be careful.

Steve

Edited by slosteve
add BTW (see edit history)

On 5/15/2018 at 12:52 AM, Seafoam65 said:

i'm guessing they used mineral based oil back in the day - any harm/advantage in using synthetic? I see synthetics have all kinds of GL ratings as well, bit mind boggling....Might be easier to ask which brand / type would you buy?...Cheers, Kev