moran75

Preformed steel brake pipe sets .......

Hi All

I'm tempted to but some steel/stainless steel pipe sets from classic tube for my 65 Riviera - partly because they look original but mainly because i perceive them to be hastle free in terms of flaring etc..

However....does anyone have experience of fitting them to their car without luxury of having the engine/body off? Is it possible?

I feel i may already know the answer though  - I'm thinking fitting the line front to back (the one inside the frame) would be a real big pain in the neck...I'm asuming being steel, although some small tweeks are possible/to be expected, this particulat would be impractical to install in a car that's not dismantled?

Many thanks

Kev

I used “Inline tubes” stainless steel pre bent tube set on a 63. They were really a nice fit and I’m very happy with them. I went to a duel m/c and had to bend and flare my line here ( using stainless). A little stiff to work with but went fine.  This was all completed with body on frame with no real issues.  Fishing tube through frame was not that difficult as the tube enters and exits twice.  Just cap the end going through to prevent contamination. 

Keep in mind the stainless is harder than the original steel and you need to tighten the flare nuts a little more for a leak free installation.

Tom

Did this job a couple of years ago, got the lines from inline tube in Mi. Had to reuse the tee on rear axle. I used steel lines.

Did mine about 2000 with lines from Classic I think.  

Running the new line through the frame is easy.  Cut the end off the existing one, tape the new one to it and use the old one to pull it through.  I think it fed from the front and having a second person to control the new line would probably help.  I did have to send the front cross over line back, but the replacement they made using my original as a pattern was fine.

I did my 93 F150 some years later when it started blowing lines.  No issues since and its probably been 10-12 years.  

Over all, a recommended upgrade.  

Edited by Zimm63 (see edit history)

I ordered up the Classic Tube set for my '67.

First off - the stainless is not very forgiving.  The pre-bent lines are good, but not perfect.  Whereas steel or NiCopp will give a little to get that last move into the fitting, the stainless feels like you are nearing that "kink it" point much sooner.

The long line is a real pain.  It comes folded over once in the box so you have to try to figure out the proper un-bending to make it correct.  I'm using a lift and it's still a pain threading the line through the X-frame and getting it oriented right.  Might be easier on a frame-off.

If I was going to do it again, I'd do NiCopp.  Perhaps Classic Tube will offer pre-bent NiCopp someday.