I have no references to Smith Farm Truck Company of Chicago ILL> Perhaps it was an aftermarket item to convert a car to a truck, reducing the gearing. The rear axle and driveshaft appear rather light. 

Looks like a T Ford rear end I would say it was a conversion for them it may have even extended the chassis length .

I'll second that it's a Form "A" Truck now if my family was not still asleep at the other end of the house where my collection of Vintage Ford is I could probably find more info for you but my life will be endangered if I disturb them this early 

1. I BELIEVE THIS IS A SMITH FORM A TRUCK,I ONCE KNEW A GUY WHO HAD A MODEL T BUS I BELIEVE IT WAS A 14 THAT HAD A SMITH FORM A TRUCK CONVERSION

Yes that looks more like it. There was a piece of Model T sheetmetal near it, but no frame. It had been set up near the community center in a 1895 school house. 

It's Smith Form-A-Truck. A conversion for Model T cars, to turn them into a 1 ton or 2 ton  truck.

You started by bolting two long channel steel rails to the Ford chassis. Then you bolted the stock Model T rear axle to the new chassis frame. It mounted solid, without springs. 2 sprockets went on the ends of the Ford axle. Finally there was a new chain drive rear axle with heavy duty springs heavy duty wheels with solid rubber tires and chains to drive the rear wheels.

Then you could add any type of platform or body you wished. Cost of the Form A Truck conversion kit, $350.

There were several makers offering similar kits, and you could get them for other cars besides Ford.

I knew an old farmer who had one in the twenties and used it to haul tomatoes to market 30 miles away. He could make one trip in the morning and another in the afternoon. Meanwhile pickers were getting the next load ready. Speed of truck, 20 mph or 25 if you wanted to burn up the roads.

image.png.8f4ec3582004f986dd3f8751196547e1.png

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the original poster's pictures it might be possible to create a Form A Truck from that pile of junk. You would need some steel channel to make a frame and the wheels would need to be rebuilt, possibly with pneumatic tires. But the rest could probably be restored. Then all you would need is a Ford chassis.

There were a number of outfits selling kits to turn your Ford car into a truck or tractor, or maybe both, lots  of ads in the trade journals, almost an industry unto itself...had a file of ads at one time, but can't find it, probably gone in downsizing...