Identified!!! 1920-30s aftermarket turn signal

bemused

Found this in my garage yesterday. 

By my estimation it's an early aftermarket turn signal unit. The casting is fairly crude, as is the chrome (?), but the condition is excellent. There is a stamped makers mark but it's illegible under the paint. I can see "Detroit" (makes sense, I'm near the metro area) and "patent," possibly "appr" or "apl,"  I went through a bunch of old patent records and didn't find it.

The main part seems to be cast aluminum, and is heavy, the face is chrome? The red glass is really glass, not plastic. The bulbs are tipped and have a coil filament (all intact). There are caps (Bakelite?) for the electrical connections.

There is a switch or relay unit but the chrome bits don't move much. Not sure if they're meant to.

IMG_20180513_140810.jpg

IMG_20180513_140542.jpg

Edited by bemused
Solved! (see edit history)

I bought a house built 1830, inhabited by car enthusiasts (and habitual garage salers) from about 1960-2010. 

Unfortunately the auto shop had massive termite damage and had to be demolished, everything in there was severely water damaged as well. I am starting to go through what raccoon-invested junk is in the barn, and the contents of the garage.

Before you get too excited, there's some stuff like this, but there's also some 15 broken rocking chairs, 5 used-in-box toasters, every 1970s issue of Popular Mechanics, and several boxes of romance novels. And lots of auto parts that might be desirable, except that the chrome is chipped off and there's no shortage of 1941 Plymouth locking center taillights or Chevy tilt-ray lights in marginal condition. :)

Bemused,

It''ll be more effective for you to start a new thread for each item. Appending them to an existing thread means they appear under the original subject line and many folks won't see the new items. If you want to re-post the last two items in new threads, I'll delete the posts in this thread when I see the new ones.

BTW a second pic of that butterfly item showing the box itself would be useful to me.

• 3 weeks later...