Sign in to follow this  
Restorer32

Judging

We attended the Judging School in Auburn. As most of you know a judging team consists of a Team Captain and 4 field judges, an interior judge, an exterior judge, an engine judge and a chassis judge. The only position that requires any physical effort is the chassis judge. He or she has to get down on one or both knees to view the underside of the vehicle.  Last time I judged Hershey I was a Team Captain. Between myself and my 4 field judges there were 5 artificial knees. Still, we had a fellow volunteer to do chassis' so all went well. Now, at the Judging School the statement was made by the VP For Class Judging that every judge had to be physically capable of serving in any position on the team and if an individual was not capable of getting down to judge a chassis he should not be a judge and should find something else to do. Is this now the official policy of AACA? If you have any physical disability that prevents you from serving as a chassis judge you should resign permanently from judging? This point was reiterated several times. We did not hear it incorrectly.

The AACA isn't heartless, and usually they are

trying to find MORE judges, not fewer.  Whoever

made this comment, which seems horribly insensitive,

must not understand the age of many of the members!

Besides, any good organization will try to find a way

for someone with an infirmity or handicap still to

be productive on his job.  (Isn't that federal law?)

I'm sure you'll find lots of support, Restorer, and thanks

for making this known.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

It was the VP of Class Judging who made the statement. He was running the Judging School. Seems very insensitive to me. 

Yea, the Honor Society. Receive a credit just for showing up. Good idea I suppose but I prefer to be rewarded for actually doing something other than just showing up. To clarify, his statement was if you aren't physically able to judge in ALL the four categories you should quit judging.

• Like 1

Let me try to clarify what the club's current policy is.  First, Dain meant to say that if some people had physical issues they COULD consider the Honor Society.  However, we will not discharge people from judging if they cannot do chassis judging. Period!!!  We are all terribly sorry for the miscommunication. 

Unfortunately it wasn't a "miscommunication". What he said was.perfectly clear. Maybe an apology from Dain for offending maybe half the judges we have?

I did not attend the judging school in Auburn since I had already attended multiple judging schools this year. While I hate to prolong this discussion, You have indicated it was the VP of Class Judging. You have also indicated that it was the judging school instructor. Those are two different people. If you are going to request an apology, it would probably be best to make sure who you are quoting since you appear to have blamed two different people with making an inappropriate comment. 

Beyond that, to err is human. Dain typically does a good job and contributes a lot of time as a volunteer judging school instructor for AACA. I think that all of us have been guilty on occasion of saying something wrong. Sometimes the words just don't seem to come out correctly. A bit of understanding and compassion might be in order on all sides of the issue.   

You are of course correct. I just wanted some clarification that it isn't club policy  and assurance that it won't be repeated at other judging schools, whoever the presenter was. Apologies if I confused names or titles.