1956 gas gauge repair

So I've been doing some reading on the gas gauge in the Pink Lady and it turns out that the wagons have a unique sending unit that's unlike those used in the other cars. Instead of a float and a resistor, it uses two heated coils whose current is regulated by the float and the temperature of the coils is what sends a signal to the gauge. I've been looking around and have yet to find a wagon with a working gas gauge, so it seems that they're unreliable and nobody knows how to fix them. I'd like to get this one working. I bought a new gauge, but now I don't believe it's the problem. The standard diagnostics suggest it is (it's permanently on E) but given the way the system works, I bet it's the sending unit.

One, does anyone have any experience with this particular system, and two, can a standard sending unit be retrofitted into the wagon's gas tank?

Any experience or thoughts from long-term Chrysler guys? Thanks!

Does the line near the tank have a clip that bridges the rubber connection (if there is rubber at the tank)? It is a grounding clip that grounds the sending unit to the steel fuel line. Not sure if the '56 had them.

fuel gauge grounding clip.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I've used John Wolf for the sending unit repair.

http://antiqueinstrument.com/contact.php

If your wagon has the same system they are indeed finicky.

The last one I had him do I had to send back, he made it right.

This system is incredibly slow, you cant just turn the key on and read the gauge.

This is an older unit that I am talking about here (1948) so may not be exactly the same.

My 56 Imperial always worked and was instant.

Go figure.

• 3 years later...

Hello Matt, I’m breathing life into this old post. Did you have any success with your sender? I pulled my leaky tank yesterday and the sender always reads 26 ohms. The sender in mine looks like every sender online so I’m also assuming it’s the wrong kind as what you’ve described sounds more impressive than what I found. Here is a picture. 

055DC54A-9028-4992-A546-BD2BE8C6AB6C.jpeg

Edited by thebigmikeo (see edit history)