To pay or not to pay?...

Good day all  I'm  up here in Canada  reading the car show listings in a popular old car newspaper. Now I am not a show car guy(lawn chairs behind the car watching people look at my car) sometimes it is nice to have a destination when out for a drive  i.e.local car show in a 30 mile area. However it really winds me up when I have to pay to display my car at a car show and the spectator gets in for free.We are talking low key shows no prize money or trophys ,just a get together.Am I just getting old and cranky?

• Like 5

That always seemed backwards to me as well. I've been to many shows over the years, including invitational concours. After towing to a distant locale, gas/food/lodging and all the rest, it seems a little tart to have to pay a fee as an entrant. Adding mud in the eye is the judge's breakfast. Hey wait! WE are the show! Where's our breakfast?

Everyone knows people who own old cars are filthy rich so taking some of their money won’t hurt them a bit?.  For me it was the beneficiary of the show that made the choice easier.  I agree charging the public seems correct to some degree for most charity shows.  Perhaps they hope the free admission will allow those attending to buy other items like food or drink that has a higher profit margin and will help the overall fundraising effort.

If you are doing this hobby for the financial benefits, perhaps I could recommend a better way to dispose of those pesky $50 and $100 dollar bills, perhaps something that involves a toilet or a small backyard fire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Entry fees barely cover cost for putting on a show or providing a reasonable sum to a charity. How many shows do you think would be around if they charged admission to the public if no one came. Profit in some form (in the promoter’s pocket or a charity) is always a factor

To provide an answer to your original question- no you are not getting old you are old! ? sorry couldn’t resist. 

Dave S 

• Like 1

I think it is just a logistical thing.  If there is an easy way to control the spectators access so that you can charge them and maintain a perimeter then a show may go that way.  Else,  in an open area they charge the car owners.   The money has to come from somewhere and it is just a question of which audience is easiest to extract it from.

19 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I think it is just a logistical thing.  If there is an easy way to control the spectators access so that you can charge them and maintain a perimeter then a show may go that way.  Else,  in an open area they charge the car owners.   The money has to come from somewhere and it is just a question of which audience is easiest to extract it from.

Agreed, A.J..  Further, I am reluctant to pay a substantial sum to enter a car when the show/concours is wholly or partially a for-profit enterprise.  Funny how the latter never say what percentage of the net proceeds goes to charity.  "Reluctant" means I'm not saying "never have" or "never will," but doing so is an exception to my own policy.  I've judged for >30 years at benefit shows/concours, and headed the car side (administration, operations & logistics) of the late, great Silverado Concours for four years.  Silverado served as a dress rehearsal for Pebble (with 10 weeks to fix any judging gigs) and drew cars from all over the country. 

Edited by Grimy
added a word (see edit history)

On the one side it does seem silly to pay to display your car. I understand. I like going to shows simply because it's a place to drive and I figure that if I can afford a toy car, well, I can afford the $10 or $20 it takes to hang out there for a while. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a lot and I don't feel like they're taking advantage of me by "using" my car as an attraction. The more, the merrier, I always say. Nobody's getting rich putting on car shows, I guarantee that. 

But on the other side, it takes work and time and a lot of effort to put on a car show and even though most are volunteer-run, there are still costs involved (printing, advertising, awards, supplies, music, facility fees, etc.). We have found that charging some nominal fee makes people far more likely to show up. If it were free, you'd commit to being there and then blow it off at the last minute, so a car show that's promoting "100 cars!" or something like that, ends up with 8 or 9 beaters instead--we've all been to that sad, pathetic show, right? We have seminars at our facility all winter and at first they were totally free. We'd only ask people to RSVP so we know how much coffee to make, how many donuts to buy, how many chairs to rent, etc. When it was free, we'd get 50 RSVPs and 10 guys ultimately show up on the day of the event--they have nothing invested, what do they care? However, when we charge $5, we get 50 RSVPs and 48 people showing up. Sometimes it's not a money thing or a taking advantage of suckers thing, it's just a human nature thing. We don't cover our costs even at $5/head, but we found it made people much more likely to show up so nothing gets wasted, including my time.

And finally, if you don't like paying to show your car, you really don't have to go to shows where they're charging an entry fee. There are free cruise-ins that cost nothing all over the country. There's a free car show every night of the week near us, we choose one or two each week and go. It's free. We sit for a while, we talk a little, then we leave. Costs nothing but a gallon of gas to get there. It's odd to resent the public getting in free (because they really don't care--they're there because they're curious not because they simply MUST see your car) when you're paying to be there and they aren't. If it were the other way around, it would be a bunch of old guys sitting around in a parking lot all by themselves wondering why nobody's paying $10 to look at them.

Nobody owes you anything for showing up--the point is that YOU get something out of it. If you don't, why bother at all?

• Like 2

Hello Peter.  You can come to Chatham Sat, May 26 for a free car show downtown, the BIA pays the expenses.  My local car club is the host so I will be there to do my part.  I do not show there because it is for hot rods and a few antiques but it is, so far anyway, no cost to show or to the public.  Bev and I will be going to Essex again this June 10th, $!0 to enter a car but the public pays as well because it has a museum and controlled entrance.  Free shows also at Erieau and Blenheim if you are looking for places to go in Ontario we would go with you.  All the best, Gary

I remember when our car clubs were invited to put on shows at the shopping centers around San Diego. We usually got some free lunch or something along those lines. Now, we have to pay to show our cars, so I don't. I show it every day when I drive it and I don't have to pay. Why do I have to pay to PARK it? I know....there are trophy fees and such (I don't do trophies), but things have definitely changed.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, playswithbrass said:

Good day all  I'm  up here in Canada  reading the car show listings in a popular old car newspaper. Now I am not a show car guy(lawn chairs behind the car watching people look at my car) sometimes it is nice to have a destination when out for a drive  i.e.local car show in a 30 mile area. However it really winds me up when I have to pay to display my car at a car show and the spectator gets in for free.We are talking low key shows no prize money or trophys ,just a get together.Am I just getting old and cranky?

Our club puts on an All-GM show every year.  We charge entrants to cover our costs.  We are lucky if we break even.  We have to pay for the site (which includes security), advertising, postage, trophies and awards, and a number of other costs.  We are fortunate to get insurance coverage from our national club, otherwise we'd incur that cost as well. In this world of $5 cups of coffee, paying $15 for a show is a nit. If you don't want to pay for it, don't go, but don't complain about it until you have actually tried to put on such a show. We invariably get one or two deadbeats every year who try to sneak in without paying.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

On the one side it does seem silly to pay to display your car. I understand. I like going to shows simply because it's a place to drive and I figure that if I can afford a toy car, well, I can afford the $10 or $20 it takes to hang out there for a while. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a lot and I don't feel like they're taking advantage of me by "using" my car as an attraction. The more, the merrier, I always say. Nobody's getting rich putting on car shows, I guarantee that. 

But on the other side, it takes work and time and a lot of effort to put on a car show and even though most are volunteer-run, there are still costs involved (printing, advertising, awards, supplies, music, facility fees, etc.). We have found that charging some nominal fee makes people far more likely to show up. If it were free, you'd commit to being there and then blow it off at the last minute, so a car show that's promoting "100 cars!" or something like that, ends up with 8 or 9 beaters instead--we've all been to that sad, pathetic show, right? We have seminars at our facility all winter and at first they were totally free. We'd only ask people to RSVP so we know how much coffee to make, how many donuts to buy, how many chairs to rent, etc. When it was free, we'd get 50 RSVPs and 10 guys ultimately show up on the day of the event--they have nothing invested, what do they care? However, when we charge $5, we get 50 RSVPs and 48 people showing up. Sometimes it's not a money thing or a taking advantage of suckers thing, it's just a human nature thing. We don't cover our costs even at $5/head, but we found it made people much more likely to show up so nothing gets wasted, including my time.

I certainly don't mind $10-$20, Matt, but I live in freakin' California.  The Danville car show on the streets is $100/car, free to the public because there's no way to control access;  the local businesses benefit from the traffic.  I haven't shown a car there.....yet, anyway. 

The Macungie car show charges a nominal entry fee but they also give the entrants some kind of thank you gift. They ALSO charge an entry fee for spectators and the show is PACKED with spectators. $$$$$$.  Same with the Strausstown show. Packed every year. $$$$$$.  Most Concours shows act like they actually appreciate the entrants by providing a breakfast and a sit down lunch with No entry fee.

Meanwhile the AACA goes out of it's way to crow they will NEVER charge a spectator fee all while raising  dues and figuring ways to wring yet more money (parking and trailer fees) from the members. All while complaining they barely break even.

Go figure......................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Our local club puts on a show each spring.  Forty dollar entry fee and we had 160 cars two weeks ago.  Site rental is $1500, Insurance 

$400, Disk Jockey $250, door prizes $500 plus the grand prize this year was a plasma cutter at $400, First and second place trophies for each class were $400.  Add another $250 for miscellaneous expenses.  I realize that not all shows are as classy as ours but we have been drawing 150-200 entries for the past 15 years.  Car owners come back because they have a great time and get something for their entry fee. When they sign in each entrant receives a "Goody Bag" that may  contain oil, filters, cleaning supplies or car wax.   We always feel happy when we break even and do it for fun.  Without the entry fee there would be no show.  Just my TCW.  Bob Smits

Grimy, $100 for a car show in a town square seems like a lot, but I haven't experienced that. $10, maybe $20 or $25 seems common; I'm sure I've paid more at some point, probably for a concours or national event, but I don't remember being unhappy or complaining about it or deciding to boycott events in the future because of it. However, for a streetside cruise-in type event, I'm surprised. But if I really wanted to be there, I guess I'd pay and not complain. I have a choice, I'm an adult.

This is an expensive hobby, regardless of the level at which you're participating. All things considered, if we can afford a garage full of toy cars, trucks and trailers to haul them around, the cost of meals and lodging to attend events, plus other incidentals, the few bucks it costs to be a member of a club or to participate in events really shouldn't be an issue worth complaining about. It's like the guys who buy $10,000 golf clubs but complain when the greens fees are $20. Keep it in perspective. For the cost of just ONE of the tires I put on my 1929 Cadillac, every car show entry fee that I will pay for the next three or four years would be covered. This is a hobby, hobbies cost money and what you're buying is fun in your chosen avocation. Hobbies are not a source of free lunches or gifts or public accolades. If we don't feel like the folks running the show are showering us with enough praise or freebies or food or being thankful enough, well, there are other places to go. Go park your car in a parking lot by yourself and talk to the people who drive by. Why are you even a member of clubs if the money matters more than the events and what you get out of participating? Quit, go home, and keep all your money--that $10 or $20 will buy a nice meal at McDonald's instead of an afternoon at a car show, so go live it up. I promise nobody will stop you.

Our local club puts together a Father's Day show where the entry fee is $25. We get 450 cars every single year and it sells out by mid-May with 10 or 20 people after that asking to be let in even though it's full. The venue also charges spectators an entry fee. Nobody complains. Everyone has a nice time. Great cars show up. People regard the awards we hand out as prestigious. I'm sure the venue is making a lot of cash off the event ($12/person x 4-6000 people). Do I care? No. Why should I? I'm having a nice day with my friends in our old cars. I feel like I get my $25 worth. In fact, it often costs me a few hundred bucks, since I bring four cars, I pay for lunch for my family, dinner for my family afterwards, refreshments during the day, etc. Still worth it.

This isn't about graft or corruption or show-runners taking advantage of the participants to get rich at their expense--the only people who think that are people who have never worked to put on a car show. Perhaps it would be better if everyone stopped putting on car shows altogether? Then you can do whatever you want without worrying about entry fees--keep all your money, keep your car in the garage, and then you'll finally be happy, right? Money, money, money. I'm sure THIS TIME it will buy the happiness you seek.

Why does the value of everything always come down to money rather than how an activity benefits you in other ways, regardless of cost? You couldn't pay me enough money to replace what I get out of this hobby. I'm very sad that more people don't feel that way. 

• Like 6

I went to a cruise this morning at a local restaurant. They charge $5 admission which goes to help find a cure for Parkinson's Disease so I have no problem with that. The main reason I don't go to real car shows with judging and trophies is because they usually last 4-6 hours (or longer) and that's too long for me.... 

9 hours ago, playswithbrass said:

I did it for many years; doing, organizing, and attending car shows and asking car owners to pay to enter.  All the while the spectators, got in free.  Oh yes a lot of businesses would ask us to arrange a show or cruise to draw people into the business, I do get that.

Now to be honest some people are just naturally vain; and want other people to "see what they have"; but for the most part the majority or car owners just like to be around other car owners. 

Don't even get me started on the judging!  Some person comes around to judge my car; and that person has never restored anything, let alone an automobile, with the myriad of separate systems that are involved in making a car work. And then the lucky owner (maybe not the most deserving) gets to flaunt the trophy around.  Some judges are excellent, and know a wealth of automotive knowledge.

I still feel the old saying, "Drive it and Enjoy it", is the best policy.   

OK: I checked my spelling,  nzcarnerd. My excuse, I was watching a NASCAR while typing tonight.  thank you  

Edited by intimeold
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, intimeold said:

I did it for many years; doing, organizing, and attending car shows and asking car owners to pay to enter.  All the while the spectators, got in free.  Oh yes a lot of businesses would ask us to arrange a show or cruise to draw people into the business, I do get that.

Now to be honest some people are just naturally vane; and want other people to "see what they have"; but for the most part the majority or car owners just like to be around other car owners. 

Don't even get me started on the judging!  Some person comes around to judge my car; and that person has never restored anything, let alone an automobile, with the myriad of separate systems that are involved in making a car work. And then the lucky owner (maybe not the most deserving) gets to flaunt the trophy around.  Some judges are excellent, and know a wealth of automotive knowledge.

I still feel the old saying, "Drive it and Enjoy it", is the best policy.      

Vain - a vane is what you check the wind direction with.

Variety of East Tennessee,. a children's charity, holds a cars & coffee fundraiser twice each year in Knoxville.  There are no admission fees whatsoever.  Sponsors donate nice stuff for a silent auction.  Waffle House provides free waffles and coffee to everyone.  Donations are welcome and appreciated.  There are always 500+ cars and the charity manages to raise a fair amount of money.  No pressure, no fees; just fellowship and a chance to help the area's children.

That's the way to run a car show.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, playswithbrass said:

I am exactly the same. I am not a big fan of sitting in a lawn chair behind my car. When I go to a show, I go to look at the other cars. Without cars, you have no show. So why should I have to pay to show my car when I can leave my car in the parking lot and get in for free to look at the other cars? No, $20 will not bankrupt me, but there are plenty of cruise nites and shows I can go to for free. It is a little more understandable if they are providing trophies or lunch. And I have heard how many times, well if it is for a charity or a good cause, you should stop whining and just pay it. Well why don't the spectators need to donate to the charity? And if I am going to donate to a charity, I would prefer it be one of my choice, not the show's. So I will only pay if spectators have to pay, or I get some sort of benefit from it. Otherwise, I can just find another show that won't charge. Plus, it seems the more they charge, what is in the show is not of interest to me, i.e. rods, customs, rat rods, etc.

• Like 1

I am a member of the Historic Fredericksburg  Region AACA. We put on an AAA show in downtown Fredericksburg, VA  every year. Coming soon, June 2 this year. We do not charge spectators, since it is held right downtown on tree lined Caroline street, with shops and eating establishments all along the street. A great venue. We do charge admission, since we do trophies and pay fees associated with a downtown show. We could not afford to put on the show if we did not charge the car owners.

I understand  the judging issues mentioned by intimeold. It takes a lot of judges to do a decent job to judge 200 cars in just a few hours.

• Like 1

In our state, South Australia, we have many shows but the icon event is the “Bay to Birdwood” which is a run from West Beach to Birdwood in the Adelaide Hills, home of the National Motor Museum.  The run usually takes 90 - 120 minutes or sometimes longer and travels through suburbia, the city and the hills.

One year, vehicles built prior to December 1959 are eligible and the next year, vehicles from 1959 to 1981 are eligible. The event attracts hundreds of vehicles from local , interstate and overseas entries. Entrants are also encouraged to dress up in period costumes too, which is quite a sight.

The enjoyment from mixing and seeing sooo many cars at the start, and the streets lined with people all out to see YOUR CLASSIC OR VINTAGE CAR and the opportunity to then park in the grassed paddocks around the museum after the run and see the cars you missed!

And all this for about AUS$70.00 unless you wish to enter for judging, which is more!

I think the fact that it is a run and a car show combined makes it much more enjoyable than just parking your car at an oval for the show. And seeing all those people on the footpath with their deck chairs and coffee and breakfast, all rugged up, kids waving madly gives a great feeling to be “on display”

I entered my 1963 Buick Riviera for the first time last year and can’t wait to do the run in my 1938 Buick Special this year. Photo is from one of the camera spots located on the route.

830BB225-FD18-441C-821B-972A57A5EC8E.png

16 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I remember when our car clubs were invited to put on shows at the shopping centers around San Diego. We usually got some free lunch or something along those lines. Now, we have to pay to show our cars, so I don't. 

I agree with the original poster.  Age has nothing to do 

with standing for principle.

From what I hear of our AACA region's history, they used to

have a show at a local shopping center.  The shopping center

PAID THE CLUB!  After all, we were providing the attraction

that benefited the businesses.  The amount we received in

the 1950's was $50, which is the equivalent of $400 to the

club's treasury today.

In more recent years, a nice local garden center had a

car show.  It was free to car owners, and each car received

a nice plant as a thank-you.  That is just how it should be.

I don't mind paying to enter a car when a car club is hosting it.

The registration fee pays for dash plaques, trophies, goody bags,

and so on.  What I dislike is the number of non-car organizations

that have found that they can CHARGE THE CAR OWNERS for

providing their entertainment, and therefore make money from

the car owners.  Do those same organizers charge the band for playing?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

What I dislike is the number of non-car organizations

I 100% agree

• Like 1

I have sometimes voiced the same complaint Peter.I guess it boils down to whether you think the show is worth going to in the first place.I don't like the idea of being used as a pawn to draw customers to a business,but I do enjoy decent shows ,usually sponsored by service clubs to raise money for charities. Cripes,the last show I went to (service club,by donation) cost me thousands of dollars and many hours of my time ! A casual conversation led to the purchase of my '25 Buick coupe.

Jim

• Like 2

Rusty I like your idea of putting put out a collection box for visitors. We will add this next year.  Because of fund raising events our club is able to donate $5-10K each year split between Hospice and a local home for "at risk" children.  When I moved to College Station nine years ago I was attracted to this club because they "do something" other than drive to a local hamburger joint once a month.  Like many of you I do not enjoy sitting in a lawn chair behind my car for 5-6 hours but would be happy to donate $20 at a free show.  Xander, I love you cars, will you be on the Glidden this year?

I get it about not wanting to pay to show your car. But think about what others have said about the cost associated with a show as opposed to a free cars and coffee type event. 

I help put on a 3-day house trial for years. We worked for 4-5 months building cross country jumps. A lot of the material but not all was donated and a sponsor name was put at the jump, a lot was not sponsored. We needed about 120 volunteers that we provided lunch and a tee-shirt and/or a hat. We paid for portable horse stalls. We paid judges travel and hotel expenses, we paid for portable potty’s and garbage pickup. We paid the police department for traffic control and an ambulance. We paid for advertising and insurance. We sponsored a children’s mental health program with a set donation and passed the hat among the free entry spectators. We donated what was ever left over to the forest preserve. 

We drew participants from all over the USA, even from Europe and Australia. One year we had a group from Brazil as this event was a warm up for the Olympic trials. 

The entry fee started at about $200 when I first started helping 30 years ago and grew to about $600 12 years later when I stopped doing it. We averaged 300-325 horses entered. 

The year I stopped helping was the year the head organizer decided to not sponsor the charity and  the excess funds that were donated to the forest preserve (usually around $7500)  would go into the LLC’s account for expenses during the year. It was a one man LLC. He also started charging $5 for soectator parking. Two years later he announced it was the last time for the event due to for lack of entries (had less than 150 that year),volunteers, sponsors  and spectators. He lost a lot of money and the word was people were willing to support a good cause but not greed. A very good event that supported some very good causes and provided a venue for riders, a special time for spectators to get close to an Olympic level sport was gone. 

As much as we hate to say it — money provides opportunity in a lot of different ways. Support those programs you can afford to do and enjoy, if they have a good cause they are sponsoring. Just my 2 cents for a good cause. 

Dave s 

I have been going to car shows as a spectator and/or car owner for over 20 years now. Most brand specific car shows in my area held in controlled access venues charge BOTH spectators and car owners for admission. Usually car owners do pay a little more $$$$. Until I started going to Fall Hershey, the concept of free spectator admission (except at cruise-ins or small car show charity events) was something I seldom experienced.

As a car owner I will be the first to admit that the concept of charging someone to bring their car to a show seems illogical.  After all, without cars there is no show, right?  However, given the costs to put on a show, some of which benefit the car owners themselves (trophies & give-a-ways to car owners), why shouldn't the car owners help with the costs?

17 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

This isn't about graft or corruption or show-runners taking advantage of the participants to get rich at their expense--the only people who think that are people who have never worked to put on a car show. 

For a number of years I have helped a friend with a brand specific car show that is as large or larger than Fall Hershey when it comes to cars on the show field. The logistics, costs and legal issues involved would literally make most people's head explode. Sadly now-a-days many if not all venues REQUIRE proof of liability insurance coverage from a show's promoter. The amount of coverage varies but that coverage can easily be in the MILLIONS of DOLLARS  and cost $1000s of dollars to purchase. Sadly, the cost of this insurance has increased due in no small part to the violence we have seen here in recent years at various public events. The violence at events has also driven up the costs for event security and EMS coverage. 

FYI, most car show promoters I know are NOT getting rich from their car shows. Most consider it a good year if they break even or make a little $$$ after expenses. Many of these people are car guys doing it for the hobby and fellow enthusiasts. A few years ago a local brand specific car show faded away after 25+ years when the original promoter grew tired. A couple of years after that,  a car enthusiast friend of mine wanted to bring the show back because he didn't want it to fade away forever. He approached myself and a number of other enthusiasts/owners of the brand he knew and trusted asking our help. Long story short this event has been growing every year since it came back. Oh, BTW, the friend of mine who promotes it makes very little, if any $$$$ from this event. He and the entire volunteer staff do it for the hobby and other enthusiasts. FYI, this event charges show cars $25 and spectators $18. Those costs do not seem to prevent 200-300 show cars or 3,000 to 4,000 spectators from coming back each year.

Our local club puts together a Father's Day show where the entry fee is $25. We get 450 cars every single year and it sells out by mid-May with 10 or 20 people after that asking to be let in even though it's full. The venue also charges spectators an entry fee. Nobody complains. Everyone has a nice time. Great cars show up. People regard the awards we hand out as prestigious. I'm sure the venue is making a shaitload of cash off the event ($12/person x 4-6000 people). Do I care? No. Why should I? I'm having a nice day with my friends in our old cars. I feel like I get my $25 worth. In fact, it often costs me a few hundred bucks, since I bring four cars, I pay for lunch for my family, dinner for my family afterwards, refreshments during the day, etc. Still worth it.

Someone I know put on a car show on Father's Day for 25 years.  EVERY SINGLE YEAR this promoter donated ALL the proceeds (after expenses) to local charities. He and his staff spent 1000s of hours EVERY year on this show and got ZERO money out of it for themselves. Did I care that it cost $25 to put my car in this show. Nope.  Did the other 300-400 car owners that came every year care about the cost? Nope. Did I care it took me time and $$$$ to get my car there and back? Nope. I went to support this event and spend time with people I have come to know over the years. Did the promoter appreciate that all the car owners and flea market sellers came to this event? You Betcha he did and he told everyone so.

Why does the value of everything always come down to money rather than how an activity benefits you in other ways, regardless of cost? You couldn't pay me enough money to replace what I get out of this hobby. I'm very sad that more people don't feel that way. 

Amen brother.^^^^  When I first started going to AACA Meets years ago it was about the car show. That soon changed for me. Since then, AACA Meets have been an opportunity to see different places in this country I have not been to. More importantly, it is an opportunity to see other AACA Members I have come to know, spend time with them and meet other members and get to know them. Do I care what it costs to attend a meet? Not really because it is not just about the costs or the show for me. Will I decide to go to a meet based on whether or not I have to pay for trailer parking? Nope. 

There is no easy answer to this situation. Some larger events have been able to secure the help of corporate sponsors to help pay the bills. Unfortunately, many local car shows do not have many opportunities for this source of income. Going forward some sort of spectator admission will have to come into play at shows that do not currently charge for this in order for some events to financially survive.  BTW, I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the number of car events that I have seen fade away here in the Northeast USA in the last few years. I would need a few more people for that.

I suppose the bottom line for car owners is that they should support the shows/events they enjoy. It is their choice when it comes to how they want to spend their $$$$.  At the same time, car owners that do not support certain shows then have no right what-so-ever to complain when that event fades away. 

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

What is the Glidden?

The Glidden Tour is a 5-day tour, held in a different place

in the country each year.  It is hosted in odd-numbered years

by the Antique Automobile Club of America, and in even-

numbered years by the Veteran Motor Car Club of America.

It is now for cars 1942 and prior.

AACA has several different tours, each set for certain ages 

of cars, so that the cars can travel at speeds comfortable

for them.  The Glidden has been around longest.  The original

Glidden Tours were endurance events held in the first decade

of the 1900's to prove the reliability of the automobile;

their revival as pleasantries for antique-car fans began,

I believe, in 1946.  And they definitely are pleasant and pleasing!

On 5/12/2018 at 12:57 PM, keiser31 said:

I remember when our car clubs were invited to put on shows at the shopping centers around San Diego. We usually got some free lunch or something along those lines. Now, we have to pay to show our cars, so I don't. I show it every day when I drive it and I don't have to pay. Why do I have to pay to PARK it? I know....there are trophy fees and such (I don't do trophies), but things have definitely changed.

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I agree with the original poster.  Age has nothing to do 

with standing for principle.

From what I hear of our AACA region's history, they used to

have a show at a local shopping center.  The shopping center

PAID THE CLUB!  After all, we were providing the attraction

that benefited the businesses.  The amount we received in

the 1950's was $50, which is the equivalent of $400 to the

club's treasury today.

In more recent years, a nice local garden center had a

car show.  It was free to car owners, and each car received

a nice plant as a thank-you.  That is just how it should be.

I don't mind paying to enter a car when a car club is hosting it.

The registration fee pays for dash plaques, trophies, goody bags,

and so on.  What I dislike is the number of non-car organizations

Way back in the dark ages (1970s) when I was activities chair for the Chesapeake Region AACA, "shopping center meets" were a big fund raiser for us. Members attending with a car would get a lunch ticket and the region got some cash. The merchants got to advertise that there would be antique cars to draw the public in to their stores and there usually was a pretty big crowd of shoppers on those days. Seemed like a win-win situation.

Where I live now there is an annual car show in the center of town early each summer. The goal of the merchants sponsoring the show is the same it was back in the 1970s in Baltimore: Draw in the public to the stores. But they charge the antique car owners about $50 for the privilege of providing the old cars that draw the public in. I refuse to pay to show my car at an event designed to raise money for a business. I'll do it raise money for a charity. I'll do it to raise money for a car club. I won't do it to raise money for a for-profit business.

But there seem to be plenty of old car owners who will pay to show their cars under those conditions and as long as a business can charge car owners and still get enough cars to draw the public you can bet they will do it. Why not convert an expense to a revenue stream? Make perfect sense for the business(es). I just don't see how it makes sense for the car owner(s).

• Like 1

The only show that I attend is sponsored by the Boy Scouts for benefit of their Troop.  It's been going on for years and now attracts 250+ cars, all of a very high standard, mainly because the Scouts and their adult advisers are truly glad that you are there and do everything possible to make your day a pleasant one.  By contrast, one of the big three national service clubs also sponsors a car show in the area and it is obvious that its members could not care less if you are there or not as long as they have the entry fee.  I'll go to that show every five or six years to see if anything has changed, but nothing does even though I've repeatedly communicated with several presidents of the club stressing its shortcomings and urging a more welcoming stance by its members.  After all, it's their fundraising event and they should care.  I will not attend this year even though the venue is less than 5 miles from my home.  Pet peeve:  Shows that charge to display, but offer free spots for cars older than a certain age.  This should be an all or nothing thing, either all entrants pay or none pay.