1966 Dodge Monaco Station Wagon

TexRiv_63

Sweet!  How many miles?  My parents had a 66 Polara 4-door with 383 in that same color.  They let me drive it occasionally when I was in high school - never did tell them about the stoplight sweepstakes I ran in it.  ?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, padgett said:

They make a great tow car.

I was thinking the same thing. Whenever you look at old drag strip photos, there are a bevvy of these wagons being used as tow/push cars. Here is a 1965 Monaco tow car....

Dodge towing Dodge.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fleek said:

Love that roof rack. You could land a plane up there!

I was going to say the same thing. That's got to be the biggest roof rack ever!

The rear A/C is also very cool. Never seen that before in a wagon. As a wagon guy, this car really talks to me. Nice find, Don!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Sweet!  How many miles?  My parents had a 66 Polara 4-door with 383 in that same color.  They let me drive it occasionally when I was in high school - never did tell them about the stoplight sweepstakes I ran in it.  ?

Odometer reads 23,600 which I assume means 123,600 - although it doesn't really look it.

2 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Odometer reads 23,600 which I assume means 123,600 - although it doesn't really look it. 

Assuming the odometer hasn't been altered, and as someone who spent a lot of time as a teenager screwing around with Mopars of that vintage when there were still good ones around, I think it is 23k.

Look at your pedals really close. Look for wear on some corner of the brake pedal, and especially look for thin spots in that stainless trim. Look at the paint on the near-vertical surface on the front of the hood. How many chips? Drive directly into the sun and look for chips and sand pits in the windshield. Check the mark in the corner of the windshield to make sure it hasn't been replaced. Look closely at the drivers seat area. Can you see wear from sliding in and out? Any visible wear on the welting? Also, the owners manual, if you have it, may have some service notes.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, Bloo said:

Assuming the odometer hasn't been altered, and as someone who spent a lot of time as a teenager screwing around with Mopars of that vintage when there were still good ones around, I think it is 23k.

Look at your pedals really close. Look for wear on some corner of the brake pedal, and especially look for thin spots in that stainless trim. Look at the paint on the near-vertical surface on the front of the hood. How many chips? Drive directly into the sun and look for chips and sand pits in the windshield. Check the mark in the corner of the windshield to make sure it hasn't been replaced. Look closely at the drivers seat area. Can you see wear from sliding in and out? Any visible wear on the welting? Also, the owners manual, if you have it, may have some service notes.

As much as I'd like to agree with you I can't. The pedals are nice but the brake pedal rubber is worn on the right side. There are plenty of chips on the hood front and other areas, the windshield is nice but both it and the drivers front window have been replaced. The front seat cushion and drivers seat back have been reupholstered and the carpet has been replaced.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, Matt Harwood said:

The rear A/C is also very cool. Never seen that before in a wagon. As a wagon guy, this car really talks to me. Nice find, Don!

This is the first time I've seen the dual Airtemp fitted to a Dodge wagon, though I've seen a small number of Chyrsler Town & Country wagons equipped with it. 

Craig

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I need to check these forums more often.... sorry so late. Don, that's a mighty sweet ride! I'd venture to say it could be the nicest one of its kind in existence... you just don't see 'em anymore... especially since you never saw that many even when new. Do you know production figures? 

Dad (our family) bought new a '65 4-dr Polara 383-2V which was flooded in Hurricane Betsy in New Orleans when it was 7 months old; he turned around and ordered a '66 of same configuration in Honey Gold, which the family had until the early '80s. I learned to drive on that car. 

Interesting what they did with the '66 Monaco wagon tail lights; guess they didn't want to wire up the inward lights thru the tailgate; but it prolly has the power tailgate window anyway, so it probably wouldn't have been a big deal. The matching woodgrain there (where the Polara would have had the stainless work & Monaco sedan would have had lights) is cool its own right -- plus you just plain never see it (which to me, is a big plus).

In case you don't already have it, you can pick up a free PDF factory service manual at http://www.mymopar.com/index.php

I could go on & on; but will suffice it to say "Mazel tov!"

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bee-Oh-Pee said:

I need to check these forums more often.... sorry so late. Don, that's a mighty sweet ride! I'd venture to say it could be the nicest one of its kind in existence... you just don't see 'em anymore... especially since you never saw that many even when new. Do you know production figures? 

Dad (our family) bought new a '65 4-dr Polara 383-2V which was flooded in Hurricane Betsy in New Orleans when it was 7 months old; he turned around and ordered a '66 of same configuration in Honey Gold, which the family had until the early '80s. I learned to drive on that car. 

Interesting what they did with the '66 Monaco wagon tail lights; guess they didn't want to wire up the inward lights thru the tailgate; but it prolly has the power tailgate window anyway, so it probably wouldn't have been a big deal. The matching woodgrain there (where the Polara would have had the stainless work & Monaco sedan would have had lights) is cool its own right -- plus you just plain never see it (which to me, is a big plus).

In case you don't already have it, you can pick up a free PDF factory service manual at http://www.mymopar.com/index.php

I could go on & on; but will suffice it to say "Mazel tov!"

Thanks for the kind words John. I don't know production figures but I would like to, need to research that. The main reason wagons are so hard to find isn't necessarily low production, rather that most were just used to death because they were so - useful! I have been looking for a nice full size wagon for quite a while but there is not much to choose from so I had to jump on this when I saw it. I do have a well used original shop manual that came with the car along with the owners manual and the certicard, I have already used the shop manual quite a bit!

22.jpg